Sands Of Iwo Jima (1949)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 121 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Memorable Quotes

Officer giving the preinvasion briefing: Now, nobody knows exactly what they've got on this island,
      but they've had forty years to put it there

Pfc. Al Thomas: That's war.
      Pfc. Charlie Bass: What's war?
      Pfc. Al Thomas: Trading real estate for men.

[During live fire training a Marine recruit accidently lets a grenade slip out of his hand
      and it rolls toward an unsuspecting platoon waiting their turn]
      Sgt. Stryker: Grenade. Hit the deck.
      [The platoon runs, except for Conway, who is reading a love letter
      and has to be tackled to safety by Stryker when the grenade goes off]
      Sgt. Stryker: You idiot. When are you gonna wake up? You wanna see that dame again, keep your mind on your work.
      Al Thomas: You may not know this, boy, but you just got your life saved.

Sergeant Stryker: SADDLE UP.

INFORMATION FROM IMDb
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Originally posted by WaynamoJim@Jan 2 2006, 08:00 PM
      I read Bradleys book and it was one of the best books I've ever read. It will affect you like no other. About Ira Hayes, most of his problems stemmed from the fact that he could never get over the loss of so many friends on Iwo and the fact that he lived and became famous because of the flag raising. When he and the others were brought home to go on a war bond tour, he didn't like it. He thought he was undeserving of being hailed a hero when he had friends buried on the island. He eventually begged to be let off the our and go back to active duty. I think he was wishing that he would also die so the pain of loss and sorrow would be taken off him.
      Gagnon, on the other hand, loved the fame it brought him and always thought that he deserved more and a better way of life because of that one moment in time. He never achieved it. Like you said, he ended up a janitor when he wished for status and fame.
      Bradley is probably the only one who put it all into perspective. He never talked about his part in the flag raising or even his heroism on Iwo Jima. He kept it all to himself, even his nightmares. Whenever his wife, kids or, friends asked about Iwo, all he would say, "it was a job I had to do along with alot of other guys a long time ago". If you haven't read the book, do so, it's absolutely fantastic and with Eastwood directing the film version, it should be a big hit.

P.S. I you want to see a photo of the flag raising scene from the movie, go to flagsofourfathers.net and click on the photo bar and you'll see it. It  looks so much like the real thing it's uncanny. Eastwood has it down to a T.
      [snapback]24829[/snapback]

Another good book about some of the pilots that flew missions around the time of Iwo Jima that was written by Bradley is "Flyboys". It also has a nice side story about a pilot named George H. W. Bush.
      Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
      -John Wayne
    • Deep Discount DVD has several options (individually and part of a two pack), as well as four posters (the fourth one down is the one that hangs over our computer :D ).

Amazon offers it in both DVD and VHS.

Chester :newyear:

The post was edited 1 time, last by chester7777: update Amazon link ().

• Originally posted by chester7777@Feb 12 2006, 02:18 AM
      Deep Discount DVD has several options (individually and part of a two pack), as well as four posters (the fourth one down is the one that hangs over our computer :D ).

Amazon offers it in both DVD and VHS.

[snapback]27042[/snapback]

This movie was on yesterday. I don't own it yet but it will definitely be included in the next group of Duke adventures I order. What stands out in my mind is the sound quality of the machine gun fire. It is excellent. Next time you watch this one, be sure and turn the sound way up.
    • I watched Iwo in honor of Duke's Birthday on friday. It just gets better with every viewing
      John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    • Re: Sands Of Iwo Jima (1950)

Hi

One of the supporting actors in Sands Arthur Franz who played Richard Dunne and the Narrator. Never a star but a good actor he deserves his place in the sun

Regards

Arthur
      Files
      • various 028.jpg

(36.05 kB, downloaded 2 times, last: )
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

This is my favorite John Wayne war film, in it he showed that he could indeed be an actor of great talent outside of John Ford. His death scene touched me and brought tears to my eyes, as it happened so suddenly and with out warning.

With permission, I share with you Clive Woollands' Film Facts for this fine film ~

Its that time again friends for another film fact. This time it is for the classic war film, Sands of Iwo Jima.

Producer: Edmund Grainger, Screenplay: Harry Brown, James Edward
      Grant, Cinematographer: Reggie Lanning, Art Director: James Sullivan,
      Editor: Richard L Van Enger, Distribution: Republic Pictures,
      Location: California, Cost of Production: $1 million, Box office
      takings (US): $3.9 million, Date of production: 1949.

Harry Brown won an Oscar for his screenplay for war film A Walk in the Sun (1945). He'd written for John Wayne once before, Wake of the Red Witch (1948). He went on to write the screenplay for the original version of Ocean 11 (1960).

Richard Jaeckel, who played Private Frank Flynn, went on to star in another classic war movie. He was Sergeant Bowren in The Dirty Dozen (1967).

Despite rating him as one of the four best directors he ever worked with, John Wayne never made another film with director Allen Dwan. Dwan continued directing until the early 1960's. He died on 30th December 1981 at the age of 96.

It would have been interesting to see Allan Dwan direct John Wayne in another film.
      I guess the story of Sands of Iwo Jima is pretty special but another film would have confirmed whether they worked as a team.

Forrest Tucker, Richard Jaeckel and John Agar all starred with Duke again in Chisum.

John Agar's part as the storekeeper is a blink and you miss him part like Big Jake.

Mike

Hi everyone

My appologies if these fact many JWMB members already know.
      but,please let me write my personal surprise.
      Inspired by Clint Eastwood's movie Flags of Our Fathers,I read the book
      original by James Bradley.
      In this novel,I found the fact why Duke's footprints at the Grauman's Chinese Thetre
      were made by black sands(cement).
      ofcourse, Duke's requests, for the memory of Sands Of Iwo Jima.
      Duke is nice guy.

Many Japanese/American brave soldiers died at the battle field of Iwo Jima,
      My father's friend died at there ,so did Americans.

That happened over 60 years ago, We must tell JW story to next generations,i think.

Best regards,
      sanada

Did anyone see this film on AMC Monday (Labor Day)? I didn't see the whole thing, but the portion of the movie I saw was edited in a stupid way. It was the part when the troops discover JW drunk outside the bar, they said something like, "Let him fend for himself" and then right after that the shore patrol were coming up the street and the troops actually helped cover for him while the shore patrol went by, but they cut that part out of the film. Makes me wonder what else got cut. Hopefully, they left in the part near the end where they raised the flag on top of Mt. Suribachi. :glare:

Hi Jim/.Sue, I saw it that day and too noticed that AMC butchered this movie. For some stupid reason, the "editors-that-be" @ AMC, seem to not be able to have better timing when they go to commercials. When they premiered The Dirty Dozen a few months ago, they butchered this film so badly that I could not enjoy it at all. :glare: I sure wish they would hire someone who knows what the heck they are doing.

All in all, I have probably seen this movie at least 30 times. :shades_smile:
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..