Island In The Sky (1953)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 151 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Originally posted by Tabitha@Oct 26 2006, 11:54 PM
      My father was chosen by Ernie Gann to fly in Island In the Sky.  He wrote some interesting accounts of making the movie.  Is there someone who might be interested in this?  I've transcribed his journal into WORD and could attach it if anyone's interested.  Let me know.
      [snapback]36393[/snapback]

Hi Tabitha,
      May I add my welcome to the board too. It's a fine place and it will be really great if you can put you fathers memories here.
      Thanks a lot for letting as know about it,
      Regards,
      Senta :rolleyes:
    • Re: Island In The Sky (1953)

DukePilgrim, I agree, its better than High and Mighty. I found the passengers in H&M a little over the top...all of them except Paul Fix were basket cases. Then the end of H&M was a little anti-climatic...after all they went through in the air....the plane lands. They stand around, they go home.

I just found the Island in the Sky to be a much richer plot, with Wayne in the role of protecting everyone, and looking out for everyone. They talked about the other crew's families etc., and then at the end, oh by the way, Dooley has a wife and six kids.

GSP
      "...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

Hi

Island in the Sky was released yeserday in the UK and of course I bought my copy picking it up last night. i came complete with a reproduction poster which unfortunately was folded up so that it would fit into the DVD case.

But beggars can't be choosers.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

This was on TCM just a few days ago and I watched it again. This is one movie that just gets better and better everytime you see it. Myself, I would give it a 9. And I love the music to it. I think Island In the Sky is ten times better than the majority of garbage they stick in the theaters these days.

I watch this whenever they show it on AMC. It seems to get better every time I see it. I really liked two big things from this movie: The star power and many recognizable "faces" that were in it, and tnd that it was in black and white which to me; makes it all the better.

I still have not bought this one but plan on doing so.
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Tabitha wrote:

My father was chosen by Ernie Gann to fly in Island In the Sky. He wrote some interesting accounts of making the movie. Is there someone who might be interested in this? I've transcribed his journal into WORD and could attach it if anyone's interested. Let me know.

I don't know if THIS is the story to which Tabitha was referring, but I noticed she had made only two posts, and in her other post (way back when, in the Duke Stories thread - I missed it the first time around) was a link which led me to the one above. INTERESTING story about this film, by someone who "was there."

Chester :newyear:

At last,I watched this movie Dvd released september 2007 in Japan.

The story is very simple, but have storng on tenterhooks, express pilot' s friendship.
      and beautiful photography DC-3 in the sky .
      Duke does a great job in his role ,exhibits his good leadership.

Andy Devine, Lloyd Nolan,themselves best performance like real pilot.
      Specially I'm surprised Andy's serious performance!

regards,
      H.sanada

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">