Island In The Sky (1953)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 147 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Island In The Sky (1953)

I think some people forget that Films or Movies are for the Enjoyment of the people that are watching the Film. Most of the time, in the type of Film, if you Do Not Know anything about the Aircraft that they are useing and what it takes to Get Out alive you may Not Care for a Film Like This.
      :glare:
      In the Air Force we were Training for this Type of thing, every year back in the Early 1950s.
      :wink_smile:
      The Film "Island in the Sky" for a Pilot is Fun to Watch because it was Mostly Technicaly Correct when they were Flying the DC-3 or as we called them at that time in the U.S.A.F. C-46 and C-47, and I had Flown them Many Times.
      :teeth_smile:
      After W.W. 2 there were Hundreds of C-46 and C-47 Stored at Kingman and Litchfield Arizona and You Could Buy them for $750.00 Apiece, if You Had the $750.00.
      :hyper:
      This was Why this Aircraft was used in this Film and Many other Films in the Late 1940s and the 1950s.
      :shades_smile:
      You must Remember that at this time in Films Many New Actors would over Act trying to get More Parts. And as far as James Arness, He Must Have Done Somthing Right, as His T.V. Show "Gun Smoke" was Number One On T.V. for Many Years !!!
      :laugh:
      Chilibill
      :cowboy:

I bought the 100th Anniversary release of this movie over the weekend and I don't recall ever having seen it before. One (of several) I missed.

It is a good movie, but why did Duke appear to throw away the packet of Spam that was in the bag that was dropped by parachute? Was he not hungry?

Bob

firstrebel wrote:

I bought the 100th Anniversary release of this movie over the weekend and I don't recall ever having seen it before. One (of several) I missed.

It is a good movie, but why did Duke appear to throw away the packet of Spam that was in the bag that was dropped by parachute? Was he not hungry?

Bob

Spam, even back then was reviled.

i only saw this film for the first time about 2 weeks ago.it's a very good movie.i really enjoyed it.the cast was excellent.it is well directed by william a wellman.pity he didnt do a western with john wayne.

:wink_smile:

Un grand merci à Lasbugas pour ce résumé en Français et pour ces magnifiques photos...

A big thank you to Lasbugas for this summary in French and for these beautiful photos ...
      Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
      French-English translation: poor !!!
      :blush: