Island In The Sky (1953)

There are 151 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 136,273 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This has to rate as one of my favourite John Wayne movies. I recently bought the book 'John Wayne's lost films' which details this and The high and mighty and was disappointed to see that all the marketing material had the same artwork of the Duke pulling the most silly face!
    I really wanted a poster of this for my 'man room' but alas the image is too silly to go on the wall!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• You see Chester that's a stunning poster for The High and the Mighty, shame the Island in the Sky ones aren't as good!
    Envious here, chances of a Duke film on the big screen are less than remote, unless I decide to host an evening!

• Hey, a guy can be a little :sleepy: sleepy, can't he?
    My mistake, but I did get your attention. . .

Chester :newyear:

Sure did get our attention!

I wish island in the sky had that artwork.

Enjoy the screening, I'll carry on watching it on TV. :wink_smile:

• My father was chosen by Ernie Gann to fly in Island In the Sky. He wrote some interesting accounts of making the movie. Is there someone who might be interested in this? I've transcribed his journal into WORD and could attach it if anyone's interested. Let me know.

I don't know if THIS is the story to which Tabitha was referring, but I noticed she had made only two posts, and in her other post (way back when, in the Duke Stories thread - I missed it the first time around) was a link which led me to the one above. INTERESTING story about this film, by someone who "was there."

Well, Chester's little 'mistake' did get me to reading this thread from the beginning, which then led me to the link in our previous post, above, which is still a good link AND interesting reading as well!

Another thing i don't understand, Why is it some of his movies, ( like this one ) are RARELEY seen on tv? My Dad ( who is 80 years old and a big JW fan ) until recently has never seen this movie before! He said, he thought he'd seen them all! They go back before the DVD era, so if they don't show it on tv, you don't see it. I'd like to see AMC or some western channel, devote one day or even one afternoon a week just for JW movies! Rotate them, so there's always a different one on! I think it would be a BIG HIT!

wtrayah, I couldn't agree with you more! There are SO many more JW movies available than are shown on TV, like this one, that plenty of folks would watch (I think). We don't have cable, so I'm not sure which movies are usually on. Are there any black and white ones? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Mrs. C :angel1:

• This is what amazed me as I discovered more of the Duke's less well known films.
    Island in the sky, which I'd never seen until a year ago, went straight into my top 10 Duke films!
    Shame the networks don't show the rarer titles as some are fantastic!

• This is what amazed me as I discovered more of the Duke's less well known films.
    Island in the sky, which I'd never seen until a year ago, went straight into my top 10 Duke films!
    Shame the networks don't show the rarer titles as some are fantastic!

If you haven't seen it check out "Tall in the Saddle", one of my favorites.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester,

Haven't got around to Tall in the Saddle yet. I am a sad one and have a Duke filmography spread sheet of the titles I own and I'm working my way through them, in no particular order!
    In fact I'm going to post the list here to get some info from you guys and see if anyone can fill the 'holes'. :wink_smile:

"Tall in the Saddle",

Yes, that´s a nice little western movie! Funny!

I like The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky. Both are wonderful movies about aviation and You never see them on TV here in Germany and Austria. I had the chance to watch these two movies for the first time as DVD-box was released at the Duke´s 100th birthday. They had both movies in the box, and Hondo and McLintock for the first time here on DVD. Four JW movies I had not seen before!

But there are some more of Duke´s movies, they don´t air on TV and You can´t buy German versions on DVD:

A Man Betrayed
    Lady from Louisiana
    Lady for a Night
    Reunion in France
    Big Jim McLain
    Trouble along the Way
    Without Reservations

...and still many of the Duke´s early B-Movies.

The Wings of Eagles has never been released on DVD here too, and so I bought the American DVD. - A wonderful movie about naval aviation!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• Congrats Dooley......I hope to get there one day.
    I loved Island in the Sky. First time I had ever seen Duke act outside of his norm. There were expressions on his face that had never been before and never after, or that is my belief!
    Once again, way to go, Dooley! KP KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Congrats Dooley......I hope to get there one day.
    I loved Island in the Sky. First time I had ever seen Duke act outside of his norm. There were expressions on his face that had never been before and never after, or that is my belief!
    Once again, way to go, Dooley! KP KEITH

I totally agree Hawkswill, I was really impressed at how good the Duke, the supporting cast and the film where the first time I watched it. It's one of the tensest performances delivered by the Duke in his long career.
    Also, a belated welcome to the forum, I'm sure I speak for all on here that it's great to have someone so knowledgeable in our midst. Keep going you'll get to 300 in a blink!

• I totally agree Hawkswill, I was really impressed at how good the Duke, the supporting cast and the film where the first time I watched it. It's one of the tensest performances delivered by the Duke in his long career.
    Also, a belated welcome to the forum, I'm sure I speak for all on here that it's great to have someone so knowledgeable in our midst. Keep going you'll get to 300 in a blink!

WOW, I learned how to do the reply with the quote! Hooray, baby steps every day, LOL!
    Dooley, thanks SO much for your comments on my knowledge. I study and watch commentaries besides the movies themselves a few hours every day and have been for over a year and a half. My theme of interest has changed.....getting to know Pappy Ford and his Troupe did that. But, still am a great Duke and especially Ward fan. It is difficult to pick out the uncrediteds, but it is getting easier as I get to know more of the stunt men, etc. I imagine ChiliBill could really help there, but he hasn't answered my last post to him. Someone mentioned Duke's silly expression on the poster in Islands. Those were the expressions that made me realize he really could and WOULD act outside of his "character". I imagine it took some real courage for him to put those expressions on film for the world to see. But, if I were stranded as he was, (and we all know how he really gets "into" his character's skin), I am sure my face would have shown those same reactions as would anyone's! I think it made him MORE of a Man and therefore SHOULD belong in a man's room! Just my thoughts, LOL. Thanks and congrats again Dooley...Want to be a friend? I am trying to get some....have two already, but feel I can't possibly ask the big guys yet.....have to "prove" myself first, LOL. If you don't, I understand. Anyway, HOORAY for Islands.....a movie I NEVER thought Duke would act in the way he portrayed his character....amazing!
    KPKEITH

• My father was chosen by Ernie Gann to fly in Island In the Sky. He wrote some interesting accounts of making the movie. Is there someone who might be interested in this? I've transcribed his journal into WORD and could attach it if anyone's interested. Let me know.

If you are still around Tabitha, I would be very interested in the account for the research for my book. Thanks KP KEITH

• Its definetly on the list of my top ten! Maybe five!

Seems we have similar tastes in the Duke's films being we both rate this one highly and are not as impressed with North to Alaska!

What are your top 5, this week as I'm sure it changes all the time!?

• WOW, I learned how to do the reply with the quote! Hooray, baby steps every day, LOL!
    Dooley, thanks SO much for your comments on my knowledge. Thanks and congrats again Dooley...Want to be a friend? I am trying to get some....have two already, but feel I can't possibly ask the big guys yet.....have to "prove" myself first, LOL. If you don't, I understand. Anyway, HOORAY for Islands.....a movie I NEVER thought Duke would act in the way he portrayed his character....amazing!
    KPKEITH

Hi Hawkswill, not problem at all. I've sent you a friend link, I think!
    Unbelievably I haven't done this before either so lets seen how it goes!

• Hi Hawkswill, not problem at all. I've sent you a friend link, I think!
    Unbelievably I haven't done this before either so lets seen how it goes!

Well, you did it just right Dooley. I sent you a message. Also, didn't "accept" Gortch properly yesterday, so I did today. THANKS, KP KEITH
    OFF TOPIC, sorry! Everyone get Islands in the Sky if you haven't seen it. You might find it hard to believe it is Duke........he acts outside of his persona! Just PROVES that he could do it if he wanted to!

• Well, you did it just right Dooley. I sent you a message. Also, didn't "accept" Gortch properly yesterday, so I did today. THANKS, KP KEITH
    OFF TOPIC, sorry! Everyone get Islands in the Sky if you haven't seen it. You might find it hard to believe it is Duke........he acts outside of his persona! Just PROVES that he could do it if he wanted to!

I think that may well be why I like it so much!
    It's a great film and story and also has the Duke in it, rather than a film I like because it has the Duke in it.

By the way, you twisted my arm and I've managed to get my hands on a vintage Island in the Sky poster for the man room! :wink_smile: