Island In The Sky (1953)

There are 151 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 136,343 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I think that may well be why I like it so much!
    It's a great film and story and also has the Duke in it, rather than a film I like because it has the Duke in it.

By the way, you twisted my arm and I've managed to get my hands on a vintage Island in the Sky poster for the man room! :wink_smile:

Oh, LOL, didn't realize YOU were the one that said that! Well, I was right, wasn't I.....just goes to PROVE what a real man he was. A REAL MAN can cry in front of anyone, because he already KNOWS he is a man! KPKEITH
    Did you know that Duke thought it was very important to dance well....thought it was a very manly thing....bet he tried to dance like Fonda in Ft. Apache but found he was a bit large for that type of dancing!

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• New arrival, taken on my phone so excuse the quality.
    Thought Hawkswiil would find it amusing being it's here due to the posts above... Now to put it in the man den!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

Edited once, last by Dooley ().

• Wow, that is a GREAT poster, Dooley! Now, aren't you glad you got it? Doesn't have the really crazy looks Duke gave, but it IS different. I think it should have a most proud place in your Man's Room!

• Wow, that is a GREAT poster, Dooley! Now, aren't you glad you got it? Doesn't have the really crazy looks Duke gave, but it IS different. I think it should have a most proud place in your Man's Room!

That's as crazy as the look gets on the posters!:wink_smile:

• Wonder what Duke would have thought??

I'm sure he would have seen it as it's the same expression that appeared on 90% of the marketing collateral around the world promoting the film.

I wonder if the Duke had any say on the use of his image?
    Today actors guard their 'image' and 'likeness' very, very closely.

• Wonder what Duke would have thought??

I am quite sure he was mighty proud. Here are some excerpts from reviews about Island in the Sky.

When Stillman dropped the film, the rights were picked up in December 1952 by Wayne-Fellows Productions, the partnership of John Wayne and Robert Fellows, as their third of seven eventual productions – including another Gann story The High and the Mighty a year later, which Wayne also co-starred in. The two movies shared many of the same production staff and crew members, including director William Wellman.

The role played by John Wayne in Island in the Sky goes against type, since he does not display the machismo for which he was often criticized. Instead, his portrayal of the downed aircraft's captain had been noted as believable and realistic. A strong ensemble cast of mainly studio B-actors actually contained a number of future stars, including Fess Parker, James Arness, Darryl Hickman and Mike Connors, who all went on to television fame. The film involves many realistic details, such as an ice pick kept handily embedded in a barracks wall so pilots can break the ice sheet on their morning wash water. The black-and-white cinematography by Archie Stout (dramatic scenes) and William H. Clothier (flying scenes) have been praised by critics.

Island in the Sky and The High and the Mighty are unique as they are two of the first all-star disaster films, which paved the way for Airport and its sequels 20 plus years later, as well as the Airplane! parodies. Both films are also two of the early John Wayne co-productions that starred Wayne

Both Island in The Sky and The High and the Mighty were out of circulation for about 20 years because of legal issues. They were restored, returned to television in July 2005 and released as special edition DVDs that August

At first, even Dooley is overwhelmed by the responsibility for his crew's safety, and he is too lax in handling them -- but after one man dies, frozen to death just steps from help, he takes over and pushes his men and himself to the limits of their endurance; he even seems ready to crack himself at one moment. Meanwhile, the men who fly with Dooley push themselves and their machines past their endurance limits searching the arctic wastes for the downed plane. Island in the Sky -- based on the book by Ernest K. Gann (perhaps the best aviation novel ever written), which was, in turn, based on a true incident that happened during the war -- is one of the most startling movies in Wayne's output. He doesn't even look like the "star" John Wayne, but like a real pilot, and the cast, made up of familiar faces, all look like the real article; indeed, this movie should have been in the running for Academy Awards for costuming and makeup, just for making these familiar performers, such as Lloyd Nolan (in maybe his best performance) and Andy Devine (ditto), look like real pilots and ordinary men, rather than familiar actors. You end up feeling like you're watching a documentary, and the effect is bracing and unsettling, and dramatically unparalleled in Wayne's entire output

Yep, I would say he was pleased as punch and very proud that he could go outside of the character he had built for himself and produce such a believable and dramatic performance. He chose this script for himself to portray the downed Dooley. And BOY, did he ever pull it off. Some say it is not typical Duke style....well it isn't in the way he acts, just in the fact that he always totally immersed himself in the character. And he for SURE did so in this one....he HAD to act differently to play the role, and he proved to himself that he could. I believe he inspired some of the newer actors who were to become stars to do so also. Too bad the movie was buried for so long. I will bet half of this board has never even seen it. Duke, you showed us in one movie that you had superb acting skills. Proud..... that is how he feels, mighty proud! Keith

• I'm sure he would have seen it as it's the same expression that appeared on 90% of the marketing collateral around the world promoting the film.

I wonder if the Duke had any say on the use of his image?
    Today actors guard their 'image' and 'likeness' very, very closely.

Remember Dooley, this was a Wayne/Fellows production....I imagine Duke had everything to say about his image on the posters. I think he wanted folks to know that this was not a same old John Wayne western type movie. Here is another poster:

• Remember Dooley, this was a Wayne/Fellows production....I imagine Duke had everything to say about his image on the posters. I think he wanted folks to know that this was not a same old John Wayne western type movie. Here is another poster:

Quite possibly.
    It's the same image, just flipped and an artists impression.
    I can't believe they flip pictures, thankfully the Duke didn't have a distinctive mole or something on one side of his face!
    Having received the poster I may watch the film tonight!

• Yes I appreciate he liked the film,
    I just wondered what he would have thought of the posters!!

Funny, I thought that was answered in the last post. Was one of the main points as that is what you asked. A few points here, but I suggest that you go back and read what I posted for you, Keith.

Duke OWNED the company along with Fellows and it was WAYNE/FELLOWS.
    I doubt there was much that he didn't have control over.

And, I believe that his whole idea in making this picture was to show that he COULD play outside of his norm. The posters, I think, were designed to bring in non-fans beside the ones who would come anyway because it was Duke. It showed a Duke they had never seen in Westerns.

Well, enough said on this subject for me. It is pretty plain to see. If you look at Duke's entire life, you will see that he was not afraid to let people see him as he was or could be. I mean, he only wore his toupee when he absolutely HAD to....he hated it.

You keep your poster up there in a proud place in your Man Room, Dooley. Because that is where it belongs. I am sure Duke would have proudly signed it for you if he were able. He wouldn't have allowed them to be produced if they were not what he wanted. Keith

• Yes I appreciate he liked the film,
    I just wondered what he would have thought of the posters!!

I should imagine he was fine with it. It is the memorable image from the set of stills so that's most likely why it was picked. It shows that this is a high drama film and works well in promoting this.
    As hawkswill mentioned, as it was produced by his own company I'm sure he would have had a say in the marketing collateral.
    Not really sure what the question is if im honest, obviously having a dumb moment!:wink_smile:

• Very true, Russ, yet, as I said before, I will bet over half the folks on here have never watched it. Not westerny, and heroic enough for them. The REAL heroes in the movie were the pilots searching for the downed Dooley. KP

• Just a heads up if anyone is interested. The score to Idland in the Sky has been remastered and released on Limited edition CD. Doubled up with the score to the fantastic Sands of Iwo Jima!