Island In The Sky (1953)

There are 151 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 136,523 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Pete, thanks for the update,
    I have also copied your post here
    Duke's Movie Soundtracks- Discussion

No problem Keith. I'll take it in the car to listen to and post on here my opinion. It's interesting as some film music sounds fantastic without the film and actually paints a picture in your mind which is evocative, some scores just falls apart and are a dirge without the film to support them. I'm hope these two fall into the first category!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I love the film-saw it on the original release as a kid. I have to say I hate the poster tho. Overall, I prefer movie posters with a lot of artwork and vibrant colors. The one for this film, as well as MANY other JW films of the 50s-70s are mainly a white backround with Duke in the center with some action. One's I do like tho, from this period are: The Searchers, The Quiet Man, The Alamo, Big Jake, Sons of Katie Elder, El Dorado, The Green Berets, maybe Hellfighters, and The Shootist. Reynold Brown did the artwork for The Alamo, and I wish he had done more of Duke's film posters.

• Very interesting post there Alamo! I don't know much about posters and such except what I have seen scanned here. But LOTS of the guys collect them, and they will be interested on your comments.

I loved Island in the Sky also. First movie that I was TOTALLY and Completely convinced that Duke could really act. When those planes kept going and he realized they hadn't seen them and would probably cross that section off their search........WOW....never had and never have seen that look on his face again! HAGO, Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• For those who are interested here's the track listing for the island in the sky cd, it seems to be sold out already!
    ISLAND IN THE SKY (Emil Newman, Hugo Friedhofer and Herbert Spencer) 16. Suite for Orchestra and Chorus I 9:36 17. Suite for Orchestra and Chorus II 4:35 18. Strings Theme 3:53 19. Suite for Orchestra and Chorus III 11:15 20. Excerpt with narration and sound effects 10:23

• Very interesting post there Alamo! I don't know much about posters and such except what I have seen scanned here. But LOTS of the guys collect them, and they will be interested on your comments.
    I loved Island in the Sky also. First movie that I was TOTALLY and Completely convinced that Duke could really act. When those planes kept going and he realized they hadn't seen them and would probably cross that section off their search........WOW....never had and never have seen that look on his face again! HAGO, Keith

Thankya Kindly Keith! I probably had most all his posters at one time or another. I DO like a lot of the posters when they are looked at by themselves, but when a number of the 50s-70s posters are displayed side-by-side, they tend to blend together due to the abundence of white
    space on them-just my humble opinion.

• I still think that out of two, i.e. High and the Mighty,
    Island in the Sky was the much better film.
    Duke's acting was superb, and I consider the whole
    movie, script, action etc much more convincing
    and less contrived, then the other movie, which on watching nowadays,
    is laughable in many scenes!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thankya Kindly Keith! I probably had most all his posters at one time or another. I DO like a lot of the posters when they are looked at by themselves, but when a number of the 50s-70s posters are displayed side-by-side, they tend to blend together due to the abundence of white
    space on them-just my humble opinion.

Well, you are probably correct, Alamo....I just don't know much about them. I have surely seen some beautiful ones posted here though. Are you selling yours off? If so some folks here might be interested in Some of them. Let me know if you are......people trade her also. HAGO, Keith

• I still think that out of two, i.e. High and the Mighty,
    Island in the Sky was the much better film.
    Duke's acting was superb, and I consider the whole
    movie, script, action etc much more convincing
    and less contrived, then the other movie, which on watching nowadays,
    is laughable in many scenes!

Totally agree Keith, but I would wouldn't I!, I only saw this for he first time a few years ago and it has been one of my fave Duke films ever since. It is genuinely edge of your seat stuff and Duke's performance was, IMO, the best in his career.
    It's one of the only films where he is a character rather than John Wayne.

• I've listened to the Iwo Jima/Island in the sky CD now and Island in the Sky fares much better than Iwo Jima. Although they are suites based on the music, rather than the actual score as it is in the film, the quality is a step up from Iwo Jima and very listenable.

• Well, that one is your "baby", so, I guess if one was going to be good, glad it was that one!

If you know anyone you can talk into checking out the Group Watch and contributing to it, please do so. Thanks, Keith

I've listened to the Iwo Jima/Island in the sky CD now and Island in the Sky fares much better than Iwo Jima. Although they are suites based on the music, rather than the actual score as it is in the film, the quality is a step up from Iwo Jima and very listenable.

• Great ones again Peter of one of my now favorite films. I almost felt as if I were watching it........LIST, LOL.

Sure would like to see a pic of the Island Poster you got hanging in your "man" room! KEITH