The Horse Soldiers (1959)

There are 229 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 210,559 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Wow that's a heap of praise you threw on this film DukePilgrim.

Not one to disagree with you as I like the film as well but, my biggest problem is the ending, to me it just seemed unfinished, like there was something that happened but it was cut out. And for that reason alone I cannot put it above Fort Apache, Rio Grande maybe, but not Fort Apache.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Viper

The Horse Soldiers was cut short because of Fred Kennedy's death, The film should have finished with the soldiers led by Marlowe making a triumphful entrance to New Orleans but after the ragic death of the stuntman Ford's heart wasn't in it and he basically walked away from the picture ending it in the quickest and least messy way that he could.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Viper & Arthur

I know praise from me it is a rarity LOL

I do genuinely believe this film deserves it. It is extremely well crafted and
    detailed and was Ford's major attempt at a Civil War movie.

I know that Ford basically went off on a bender after Fred Kennedy's death and that in most people eyes the film was cut short by his lack of interest.

However when you look at the film what else was there to add to the movie apart from a happy wrap i.e. A triumphant return to the Union Army after a successful mission. A reuniting of Marlowe and Constance after the war . We know these things are going to happen its just that we don’t see it.

I would be of the opinion that Ford had the film already planned in his head much like directors like Hitchcock. There may have been little touches here or there but very little would have been added.

Also, remember that Horse Soldiers runs at 119 minutes so it is not a short movie.

I think the fact that the movie got poor reviews on its release and the knowledge that Ford lost interest has built up the mystique that the director was planning more for this movie than ever filmed.

• Just to put i :rolleyes: n my two bob's worth about The Horse Soldiers. The film to me started very well with good charaterisation from Duke and William Holden. Unfortunately this didn't continue for all of the film. I must admit to enjoying the stoushes between John Wayne and Constance Towers. Also I had the pleasure of meeting Althea Gibson in the UK. A very pleasant lady to talk to. Anyway a reasonable film but not one of Ford's or Duke's best.
    Regards
    Redcap

RACMP - For the troops With the troops

• I've always been a Russell Simpson fan since I first watched him as Pa Joad in 'The Grapes of Wrath'. I enjoyed the amusing scene he shared with Denver Pyle and Strother Martin in this film.

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• Hi Jim

When I and some other fans of John Wayne wanted the photo of John Wayne changed on his homepage of the IMDB, it was only achieved when we contacted the John Wayne estate. I had previously emailed the IMDB and they told me any changes could only be made when the IMDB was contacted by the estate of a particular actor/actress.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Arthur,

It was good to see that photo again. When i was 14, not particulary a Wayne, but definatly a western fan, this was the picture amongst others that were shown outside the cinema, and it was through this picture that persuaded me to go in and see the movie, i wasn't disapointed.

Reference the earlier posting, i assume that this film isn't included in the cavalry trilogy because they were made within a fairly short time scale, and devoted more to the expansion of the west, as against the civil war. Just a thought.

Chris.

• Hi Chris

I think that Ford always dreamed of making an epic civil war movie, and I think that this was the closest he ever got to achieving his dream.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Later on in the picture with Marlowe's command deep into Confederate territory they bivouac at the plantation owned by Hannah Hunter (Constance Towers) After dinner Marlowe informs his officers among whom are Col Phil Seacord (Willis Bouchey) & Major Richard Grey (William Leslie), of his plans to move on to New Orleans rather than retreat back through enemy country.