Girls Demand Excitement (1931)

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 23,915 times. The latest Post () was by Gorch.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• GIRLS DEMAND EXCITEMENT

DIRECTED BY SEYMOUR FELIX
    FOX FILM CORPORATION

INFORMATION BY IMDb

Plot Summary
    Peter Brooks is a hard-working, hard-up college student
    whose dislike of women attending college weakens
    under the amorous advances of spoiled socialite coed Joan Madison.

Full Cast
    Virginia Cherrill ... Joan Madison
    John Wayne ... Peter Brooks
    Marguerite Churchill ... Miriam
    Edward J. Nugent ... Tommy
    Helen Jerome Eddy ... Gazella Perkins
    Terrance Ray ... Sheik Nevins
    Martha Sleeper ... Harriet Mundy
    William Janney ... Freddie
    Ralph Welles ... Simeon
    George Irving ... Mr. Madison
    Winter Hall ... The Dean
    Marion Byron ... Margery
    Ray Cooke ... Jimmie (uncredited)
    Carter Gibson ... Freshman (uncredited)
    Jerry Mandy ... Joe (uncredited)
    Addie McPhail ... Sue Street (uncredited)
    Emerson Treacy ... Bobby Cruikshank (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Harlan Thompson writer

Cinematography
    Charles G. Clarke

Trivia
    John Wayne considered this his worst movie.

Print in UCLA http://www.cinema.ucla.edu

Goofs
    Unknown

Filming Locations
    Unknown

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Girls Demand Excitement is a 1931 film starring
    Virginia Cherrill, John Wayne, and Marguerite Churchill.
    Wayne and Churchill had starred in the widescreen Western epic
    The Big Trail the previous year.
    The movie was written by Harlan Thompson and directed by Seymour Felix.

User Review

If you haven't seen it, don't bother!
    by bensonj (New York, NY)

John Wayne is quoted as saying that this was his worst film, and is the Duke ever right! It should be titled "Girls Demand Their Money Back," because there's not an ounce of excitement or anything else. This is a totally inept film in every category, and features that deadly slow dialogue generally only found in films made a year or two earlier: "Say...(pause)...you're not coming to school...here...(long pause)...are you?" Apparently the idea was to make a college sex farce, but there's absolutely no sex and no farce. Sample: Spinster psychology teacher tests kissing in class, using blood pressure meter. She tries it herself and her meter goes way up. Ha, ha. Then the gals challenge the guys to a basketball game. Apparently the idea was that they'd distract the guys with their costumes, but the costumes are so modest that I didn't catch the point until the end of the game. One can see the temptation to theatrically program a rare Wayne film that also stars Virginia Cherrill (and which was released the same week as her classic performance as the blind girl in CITY LIGHTS!), but this isn't just dull, it's just absolutely pathetic and incompetent in every way. It should only be shown in fan-boy living rooms.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi

Seyour Felix was a choreographer who directed two pictures, one of which John Wayne was unfortunate enough to appear in. He later said that Girls Demand Excitement was the silliest picture he was ever in.

The only good thing that came out of the picture was that he met and befriended actor Paul Fix who gave him many pointers on acting.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• This is one of the fifty some films of John Wayne I do not have....there must be a copy floating around somewhere I am sure.

Roger.

Originally posted by erscolo@Dec 23 2005, 05:07 PM
    This is one of the fifty some films of John Wayne I do not have....there must be a copy floating around somewhere I am sure.

Roger.

[snapback]24170[/snapback]

If there is, no one seems to know about it. This Columbia picture, along with 'Three Girls Lost', are on the list of John Wayne films that appear lost forever.

Originally posted by falc04@Dec 24 2005, 11:25 AM
    If there is, no one seems to know about it. This Columbia picture, along with 'Three Girls Lost', are on the list of John Wayne films that appear lost forever.

[snapback]24200[/snapback]

Hi,
    I agree, that was my assumption too!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Well, the UCLA Film and Television Archive claims to have a complete print of this film in their library. Here's what they have to say about it. If you look down towards the bottom, you will see that is says, "Reserved for preservation," so hopefully we will see this film in the future.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Here is the thread
    FOUR SONS
    including the video clip

And here is a link to the Girls Demand Excitement clips, which were edited together and a small bit of narration deleted. It's only 19 seconds.

http://members.shaw.ca/n_rough…rls_Demand_Excitement.wmv

or, for Mac users or those who prefer Flash:

http://members.shaw.ca/n_rough…rls_Demand_Excitement.flv

I would love to see the entire film, missing reel or not.

• By God, Dee, you're right about that image being scary. It looks like a female vamp(ire) is sucking the life right out of Duke. I'd really like to see this one!

We deal in lead, friend.