His Private Secretary (1933)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 26 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• His Private Secretary (1933)

HIS PRIVATE SECRETARY

DIRECTED BY PHIL WHITMAN
      PRODUCED BY D. J. MOUNTAN/ A.J. HOLT
      COLAM PICTURES/SCREENCRAFT PRODUCTIONS
      SHOWMANS PICTURES

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
      Dick Wallace wants to marry a minister's grand-daughter but his father,
      who wants him to get work on his company's business, is opposed.
      She takes a job with the company to prove she's okay.

Full Cast
      Evalyn Knapp .... Marion Hall
      John Wayne .... Dick Wallace
      Reginald Barlow .... Mr. Wallace
      Alec B. Francis .... Rev. Hall
      Arthur Hoyt .... Little
      Natalie Kingston .... Polly
      Patrick Cunning .... Van, Polly's Brother
      Al St. John .... Garage Owner Tom
      Hugh Kidder .... Jenkins, the Butler
      Mickey Rentschler .... Joe

Writing Credits
      Lewis D. Collins story
      Jack Natteford adaptation and continuity

Cinematography
      Abe Scholtz

Goofs
      * Continuity: When Dick and Marion first meet at the gas station she is by the rear left fender of his car, talking to the attendant on the other side, yet when Dick adjusts the rear view mirror we see Marion's full face instead of a left profile. Then Marion turns her back on the mirror, but when Dick adjusts it downward, we see the front of Marion's feet and legs instead of the back. Only when the camera backs off does Marion turn around and face Dick and the mirror.

Filming Location
      New York City, New York, USA

Watch the Full Movie:-

His Private Secretary

Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 12 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• His Private Secretary (1933)

His Private Secretary is a 1933 comedy film starring Evalyn Knapp and John Wayne.

I liked this film because it was creaky,over acted, and fun.
      They couldn't even get the bus tooting its horn right!!

User Review
      For Showmen's Pictures
      18 February 2007 | by bkoganbing (Buffalo, New York)

During a time when John Wayne was doing some B westerns and appearing in a few other films for Warner Brothers, he was apparently lent out to an independent outfit called Showmen's Pictures where he was the male lead in a comedy called His Private Secretary.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with this one. Granted that the film doesn't exactly have the production values that one would have associated with the major studios and it can't get a better rating from me because of that. Still the performances were not bad and the Duke did a fine job in this one.

John Wayne plays the young playboy son of banker Reginald Barlow and all he has on his mind is chasing women. He's the despair of dear old dad who would like the Duke to just settle down in the family business. When he agrees to come to work, his first assignment is to get some deadbeat to cough up his loan money or foreclose.

Remember this is the Great Depression and a lot of people were in similar circumstances. But in this case the deadbeat is minister Alec B. Francis who has a pretty granddaughter Evelyn Knapp and with the Duke it's always pleasure before business.

Because Knapp doesn't immediately fall for his line and shows a serious side he's not seen in many women, Wayne is really taken with her. I think I need not say more because if you've seen thirties type comedies you know where this is heading.

The interesting thing to speculate is if this film had been the product of one of the major studios and had been given production values and a distribution level commiserate with same, what kind of turn John Wayne's career might have taken.

Author: jfg1-1 from Lawrenceville, GA

This light-hearted romantic comedy. Wayne had not yet developed into the man we would know as "Duke", but he definitely had presence. There are signs, though. Near the end of the movie, where "Dick" confronts his father about the woman he married, we see a hint of what is to become.

Richard (Dick) Wallace is a playboy whose father wants him to straighten up and join the family business, but Dick only wants to have a good time. He meets Marion and falls in love with her. He trades his car for a gas station in order to stay in the town she lives in to be near her, and convinces her to marry him. But, his father will not be convinced that Marion is not a gold digger. She sets out to prove to the old man that she is different, and does. Dick, however, has not yet changed, and suffers the consequences of his folly.

"The movie is a bit choppy, and the plot is weak in places. Some of the supporting roles could have been stronger. Never-the-less, it is fun to watch John Wayne as the ne'er-do-well son of a rich man, and get his come-uppance at the hands of the preacher's granddaughter.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I have to say that I enjoyed this film very much, from the standpoint of a light-hearted film. Heavy and intense it is not, but it gets points for entertainment. I always enjoy plots in which someone makes negative remarks about someone else, when in reality they don't know the person well enough to say such things (and said person sets out to set the other one straight).

As you indicate, Keith, it's not one of the most outstanding efforts from John Wayne, but it works (for me, at least :D ).

Mrs. C :angel1:
    • Hi Bill

It a gentle B picture lasting about 60 minutes. It is another film that shows Duke learning his trade. I guess if you are working your way through his films It is a nice one to watch.

It is also quite cheap on e bay I bought the DVD for a £1.99 the postage was dearer than the record.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low
    • I just did a ebay search and I see it is as Arthur says, you will pay more for postage than the DVD, but altogether you will pay around $10.

I have seen the film, and I'd say that the assessment of it being a pleasant gentle film is a right one. I liked it.

clancy
    • Originally posted by William T Brooks@Dec 28 2005, 07:14 AM
      Mrs.C

I do not know if I have ever seen that film or not. Is it worth watching? :rolleyes:

Chilibill :cowboy:
      [snapback]24418[/snapback]

Bill,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, this got lost on the second page of this forum :rolleyes: .

Anyway . . . my opinion? Totally worth watching. John Wayne has a major role in the movie (not just a few minutes screen time here), and the plot is decent. I think you'll enjoy it.

Please let us know what you think, should have the opportunity to watch it.

Mrs. C :angel1:
    • Re: His Private Secretary (1933)

I thought it was a decent enough movie. Different because it is set in a contemporary time instead of in the past like most of his early movies. It has some funny moments!
      [SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]
    • Re: His Private Secretary (1933)

I've never seen it, and would like to. If anyone can find a copy on DvD (region 1) i'd be more than happy to pay you what you want for it (within reason of course) ;-D
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..