The Searchers (1956)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 285 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Hi Arther,

I couldn't agree more with your post above.

Keith

For your trivia section this movie contains tons of deleted scenes and it is fascinating to watch the trailer for the Searchers as some of them can be viewed there. You are probably aware of this already Keith but do you know where these scenes would have fitted into the actual movie as I am unsure.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie
    • Hello All
      Speaking to the issue of racial prejudice in " Searchers " it was a strong statement for it's time. South Pacific , Searchers, West Side Storey, movies like these helped to illustrate the need to separate behavior that is unacceptable from the race or religion of the person who is the source of the behavior. Not every man in Ireland is in the IRA, not every Palestinian is in Hamas, Not every Canadian has an issue with Americans. If you take the Radical behavior of a few and use it to form an opinion about the much larger group then your opinion will be based on ignorance more then fact. I reserve the right to hate a lot different things that people have done but I have yet to see where the weakness of some high profile individuals is an indication of how everyone else thinks or acts. A lunatic uses a gun to create chaos and tragedy, does that mean every firearms enthusiast, is a bloodthirsty killer. Searchers grabs you by the primal instincts and squeezes some intense emotions out of you. I like it but I am glad that there are lighter JW films. murray
      Greetings from North of the 49th
    • Okay.....this past Saturday I had the two-disc anniversary edition of The Searchers (the greatest western of all time) in my hands.......IN MY HANDS!.................but then I saw the sticker ...................the one telling me about the Brad Pitt movie promotion which evidently is included.

That was enough to prevent my purchase.

Will someone please tell me that I will not be required to sit through Brangelina before being allowed to view hallowed western greatness. Please tell me that crap is on disc two so I can ignore it.

Please advise.

- Thanks.
    • Originally posted by cchoate@Jun 20 2006, 01:13 PM
      Okay.....this past Saturday I had the two-disc anniversary edition of The Searchers (the greatest western of all time) in my hands.......IN MY HANDS!.................but then I saw the sticker ...................the one telling me about the Brad Pitt movie promotion which evidently is included.

Will someone please tell me that I will not be required to sit through Brangelina before being allowed to view hallowed western greatness. Please tell me that crap is on disc two so I can ignore it.

Please advise.

- Thanks.
      [snapback]32349[/snapback]

I have the Ultimate edition and you don't have to view it on my version. I wouldn't let the trailer hold you up on purchasing the movie. Get it now!!!
      Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
      -John Wayne
    • Been watching the new 2-disc SEARCHERS DVD and just can't get over how brilliant and moving it always is! I haven't watched it in it's entirety in years, and I didn't have the old DVD, so seeing it in it's new print with that wonderful vistaVision image just blew me away. And the title song is just so haunting. The documentaries are uniformly excellent and I'm glad they retained the "Warner Bros. Presents" doc from the VHS version of the movie. With widescreen, I now see so much stuff I missed with that old fullscreen tape. The massacred indians! I never saw that before! Great movie, but what an emotional powerhouse!
      "Day off?"
      "Off day."
    • Originally posted by cchoate@Jun 20 2006, 01:13 PM
      Okay.....this past Saturday I had the two-disc anniversary edition of The Searchers (the greatest western of all time) in my hands.......IN MY HANDS!.................but then I saw the sticker ...................the one telling me about the Brad Pitt movie promotion which evidently is included.

Please advise.

- Thanks.
      [snapback]32349[/snapback]

Well,

I finally bought the Ultimate Collector's Edition. The colors and images were amazing and incredibly lifelike. As you know, the package comes with two discs. Disc one is the movie and disc two is the documentary and interviews. My package came with two copies of disc one and no disc two. So, I now have a back-up copy of the movie, if I keep the purchase, or I return it and get the other stuff on disc two.

What would any of you do?
    • Originally posted by cchoate@Jul 5 2006, 02:35 PM
      Well,

I finally bought the Ultimate Collector's Edition. The colors and images were amazing and incredibly lifelike. As you know, the package comes with two discs. Disc one is the movie and disc two is the documentary and interviews. My package came with two copies of disc one and no disc two. So, I now have a back-up copy of the movie, if I keep the purchase, or I return it and get the other stuff on disc two.

[snapback]32726[/snapback]

Return it friend and get the second disc. It has soooooo much stuff on it. The documentaries are fantastic and as I said in an earlier line, there is one part during the documentary that has no sound byte, but shows Duke and Pappy just sitting, playing cards, and having a few beers. Worth every last penny. Good luck to ya.
      Bo
    • Originally posted by cchoate@Jul 5 2006, 05:35 PM
      Well,

[snapback]32726[/snapback]

I agree, take it back. The extras on disc 2 are not to be missed.
      -John Wayne
    • Anybody who purchased the new version of "The Searchers" order the movie poster? If so, have any of you received it yet? I sent mine in the day after the initial release date and the address was someplace in Minnesota. I cannot believe it would take that long to get it to me since I live in the same state. Oh well, guess I have to show alittle patience.
      -John Wayne
    • Originally posted by Senta@Jul 6 2006, 03:01 PM
      Unfortunatly they add some features which was in the edition of The Searchers before, but also some new one.
      And I don't understand about this booklet with posters, what is all this about?
      Regards,
      Senta :rolleyes:
      [snapback]32755[/snapback]

Senta, There was a coupon in my "Ultimate" copy of "The Searchers" for a reproduction of a movie poster. All I had to do is pay for shipping. Must only be available to US residents, sorry.
      -John Wayne
    • Hi

I bought the two volumn version on Wednesday and watched the Bonus disc this afternoon. To see and hear three great directors giving their appreciation of the film was great and The Turning of the Earth was both informative, and emotional, I agree with your comments about the shot of Wayne and Ford drinking and reminiscing about past fishing trips.

Although the Searchers is not one of my favourite westerns, the scenery, the music together with a realistic and an unbiased opinion of John Wayne's acting ability from his peers made the second disc for me a bit special.

It also makes one think about Ford's temperment especially the quote when he wrote to Wayne in Japan telling him if he had time to visit a famous director saying that he was a fan of OUR work, a nice human touch and one that I wouldn't have believed Ford would be capable of.

It just goes to show after fifty years and the thousands of words spoken and written we all have something new to learn and appreciate.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">