The Searchers (1956)

There are 295 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 342,416 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I have the Ultimate edition and you don't have to view it on my version. I wouldn't let the trailer hold you up on purchasing the movie. Get it now!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Been watching the new 2-disc SEARCHERS DVD and just can't get over how brilliant and moving it always is! I haven't watched it in it's entirety in years, and I didn't have the old DVD, so seeing it in it's new print with that wonderful vistaVision image just blew me away. And the title song is just so haunting. The documentaries are uniformly excellent and I'm glad they retained the "Warner Bros. Presents" doc from the VHS version of the movie. With widescreen, I now see so much stuff I missed with that old fullscreen tape. The massacred indians! I never saw that before! Great movie, but what an emotional powerhouse!

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Haven't seen the documentary yet, but the edition is absolutly striking. I like comic book and photos. For a pity, living here I can't get free poster.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Well,

I finally bought the Ultimate Collector's Edition. The colors and images were amazing and incredibly lifelike. As you know, the package comes with two discs. Disc one is the movie and disc two is the documentary and interviews. My package came with two copies of disc one and no disc two. So, I now have a back-up copy of the movie, if I keep the purchase, or I return it and get the other stuff on disc two.

What would any of you do?

• Return it friend and get the second disc. It has soooooo much stuff on it. The documentaries are fantastic and as I said in an earlier line, there is one part during the documentary that has no sound byte, but shows Duke and Pappy just sitting, playing cards, and having a few beers. Worth every last penny. Good luck to ya.
    Bo

• I agree, take it back. The extras on disc 2 are not to be missed.

-John Wayne

• Anybody who purchased the new version of "The Searchers" order the movie poster? If so, have any of you received it yet? I sent mine in the day after the initial release date and the address was someplace in Minnesota. I cannot believe it would take that long to get it to me since I live in the same state. Oh well, guess I have to show alittle patience.

-John Wayne

• Unfortunatly they add some features which was in the edition of The Searchers before, but also some new one.
    And I don't understand about this booklet with posters, what is all this about?
    Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

• Senta, There was a coupon in my "Ultimate" copy of "The Searchers" for a reproduction of a movie poster. All I had to do is pay for shipping. Must only be available to US residents, sorry.

-John Wayne

• Hi

I bought the two volumn version on Wednesday and watched the Bonus disc this afternoon. To see and hear three great directors giving their appreciation of the film was great and The Turning of the Earth was both informative, and emotional, I agree with your comments about the shot of Wayne and Ford drinking and reminiscing about past fishing trips.

Although the Searchers is not one of my favourite westerns, the scenery, the music together with a realistic and an unbiased opinion of John Wayne's acting ability from his peers made the second disc for me a bit special.

It also makes one think about Ford's temperment especially the quote when he wrote to Wayne in Japan telling him if he had time to visit a famous director saying that he was a fan of OUR work, a nice human touch and one that I wouldn't have believed Ford would be capable of.

It just goes to show after fifty years and the thousands of words spoken and written we all have something new to learn and appreciate.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arther

Do you remember some years ago Jonathan Ross did a profile of Duke on a programme called hollywood greats. The programmed showed some behind the scenes footage of the Searchers and showed a scene of Duke and Ford together on a hilltop, with Ford holding Dukes arm, do you know what was going on?

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hello, just watched the searchers, I thought it was pretty good, the best western I've seen so far! My favourite line was from when they were scouting out the Commanche camp down below.

Captian: How many do ya figure?

Duke: 'Bout a dozen, each. Enough to go around.

About the preview for the Brad Pitt movie. If any one who has the two disc version has watched it, they would know that it could barely be called a trailer since there is only a little dialogue from the Robert Ford character (a voice over) and nothing from Brad or even a real scene or anything. I was hoping to at least get a little taste of the movie. (Just to clear things up, not a Brad Pitt fan, but love tales of the old time gunslingers)

But back to the searchers, I thought the music was fantastic and it really felt timeless. But it seems like there are a lot of unanswered questions. I've read the other posts in this section and definitely have more of an understanding than I did before, but it would have been better if the film had answered (or hinted at the answer) so we didn't have to guess.

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

• I was just re-reading all the original posts about the movie and thinking about the significance of the knife in the scene where he comes over the ridge and starts digging it into the sand.

Now, I'm not sure where I heard this (or whether it's true or not) but didn't people use sand or dirt to clean blood off their blades, to prevent them from rusting. We don't see any blood on his knife, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

I'm not saying that he did kill Lucy, because personally I don't think that he did.

But...

[SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

• Hi All

Is the 50th Anniversary edition any better than the Ultimate version?

Are there any additional extras that would warrant purchase?

Also, is the print / sound quality anyway noticably different?

Best

Mike

• Hi Mike,
    What is the difference between 50th anneversary and Ultimate edition? I had this movie in different versions. The best is the newest one which was released in the Wayne-Ford collection this year. There was plenty of new features and even photo stills and comic book. Also I have it on two side region 2 disc - on one side it is widescreen, on the other fit to tv screen. This one was released in Duke Finnish/Swedish collection wich go in metal box and included also Rio Bravo, Train Robbers, Cahill, Chisum and Cowboys. I simply can't go away from it when I saw it in Finland.
    Regards,
    Senta :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Dec 10 2006, 02:19 PM
    The print is brilliant on the Ultimate Edition even when projected which is why I ask is there any major differences between them
    Best
    Mike

[snapback]37708[/snapback]

The Ultimate Collector's Edition includes two booklets in a single slipcase: a comic book reprint originally published by Dell, and various advertising material from Warner Brothers. Both booklets have about 32 pages each. In another slipcase are 10 high-quality black and white stills taken during production, plus 3 pages of inter-office memos.

The new print, although more vibrant, is the same as previous releases so it doesn't contain anything different. The framing and aspect ratio are *slightly* different, though.

• Hi Mike,
    The 50s Anneversary edition is completly different version, which I see by your links. It is a little mixed up in names. This year in Region 1 was released new version of remastered Searchers with plenty of feachures, one which I have - included 2 disc and 2 booklets and photo stills from the prodaction and for american citizens even a poster (it is't fear! :cry2: ) and 50-s anneversary includes only 2 disc but the same remasteresd version.
    What you are calling Ultimate edition is region 2 release. Some of the features in new Region 1 edition are the same, but they have + Turning of the Eath and some others. And the main difference is on the shape of images and in color. it is so differnt that it even takes time to became used to it. But I think it is better, more natural colors.
    By the way, your Ultimate edition (Reg2) also have two versions of Searchers - wide screen and not?
    Regards,
    Senta