The Searchers (1956)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 275 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• Hi Arther

Do you remember some years ago Jonathan Ross did a profile of Duke on a programme called hollywood greats. The programmed showed some behind the scenes footage of the Searchers and showed a scene of Duke and Ford together on a hilltop, with Ford holding Dukes arm, do you know what was going on?

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie
    • Hello, just watched the searchers, I thought it was pretty good, the best western I've seen so far! My favourite line was from when they were scouting out the Commanche camp down below.

Captian: How many do ya figure?

Duke: 'Bout a dozen, each. Enough to go around.

About the preview for the Brad Pitt movie. If any one who has the two disc version has watched it, they would know that it could barely be called a trailer since there is only a little dialogue from the Robert Ford character (a voice over) and nothing from Brad or even a real scene or anything. I was hoping to at least get a little taste of the movie. (Just to clear things up, not a Brad Pitt fan, but love tales of the old time gunslingers)

But back to the searchers, I thought the music was fantastic and it really felt timeless. But it seems like there are a lot of unanswered questions. I've read the other posts in this section and definitely have more of an understanding than I did before, but it would have been better if the film had answered (or hinted at the answer) so we didn't have to guess.
      [SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]
    • I was just re-reading all the original posts about the movie and thinking about the significance of the knife in the scene where he comes over the ridge and starts digging it into the sand.

Now, I'm not sure where I heard this (or whether it's true or not) but didn't people use sand or dirt to clean blood off their blades, to prevent them from rusting. We don't see any blood on his knife, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

I'm not saying that he did kill Lucy, because personally I don't think that he did.

But...
      [SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]
    • Dukes Movie Locations

This movie was filmed mostly in these locations

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Aspen, Colorado, USA
      Aspen- Google Images

RKO-Pathé Studios - 9336 Washington Blvd., Culver City, California, USA

MONUMENT VALLEY

FA42B938_B221_4D2E_D1B5EA9795BE6C7B.jpg

Bronson Caves

27426_CaLA_BronsonCaves6.jpg
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Hi Mike,
      What is the difference between 50th anneversary and Ultimate edition? I had this movie in different versions. The best is the newest one which was released in the Wayne-Ford collection this year. There was plenty of new features and even photo stills and comic book. Also I have it on two side region 2 disc - on one side it is widescreen, on the other fit to tv screen. This one was released in Duke Finnish/Swedish collection wich go in metal box and included also Rio Bravo, Train Robbers, Cahill, Chisum and Cowboys. I simply can't go away from it when I saw it in Finland.
      Regards,
      Senta :rolleyes:

• Hi Senta

Here are the two links for The Searchers to compare:-

Ultimate Edition

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/632508/The_...rs/Product.html

50th Anniversary Edition

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/924112/The_...on/Product.html.

The print is brilliant on the Ultimate Edition even when projected which is why I ask is there any major differences between them

Best

Mike
    • Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Dec 10 2006, 02:19 PM
      The print is brilliant on the Ultimate Edition even when projected which is why I ask is there any major differences between them
      Best
      Mike
      [snapback]37708[/snapback]

The Ultimate Collector's Edition includes two booklets in a single slipcase: a comic book reprint originally published by Dell, and various advertising material from Warner Brothers. Both booklets have about 32 pages each. In another slipcase are 10 high-quality black and white stills taken during production, plus 3 pages of inter-office memos.

The new print, although more vibrant, is the same as previous releases so it doesn't contain anything different. The framing and aspect ratio are *slightly* different, though.
    • Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Dec 10 2006, 10:19 PM
      Hi Senta

Here are the two links for The Searchers to compare:-

Ultimate Edition

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/632508/The_...rs/Product.html

50th Anniversary Edition

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/924112/The_...on/Product.html.

Best
      Mike
      [snapback]37708[/snapback]

Hi Mike,
      The 50s Anneversary edition is completly different version, which I see by your links. It is a little mixed up in names. This year in Region 1 was released new version of remastered Searchers with plenty of feachures, one which I have - included 2 disc and 2 booklets and photo stills from the prodaction and for american citizens even a poster (it is't fear! :cry2: ) and 50-s anneversary includes only 2 disc but the same remasteresd version.
      What you are calling Ultimate edition is region 2 release. Some of the features in new Region 1 edition are the same, but they have + Turning of the Eath and some others. And the main difference is on the shape of images and in color. it is so differnt that it even takes time to became used to it. But I think it is better, more natural colors.
      By the way, your Ultimate edition (Reg2) also have two versions of Searchers - wide screen and not?
      Regards,
      Senta

• Originally posted by Senta@Dec 10 2006, 11:54 PM
      Hi Mike,
      The 50s Anneversary edition is completly different version, which I see by your links. It is a little mixed up in names. This year in Region 1 was released new version of remastered Searchers with plenty of feachures, one which I have - included 2 disc and 2 booklets and photo stills from the prodaction and for american citizens even a poster (it is't fear! :cry2: ) and 50-s anneversary includes only 2 disc but the same remasteresd version.
      What you are calling Ultimate edition is region 2 release. Some of the features in new Region 1 edition are the same, but they have + Turning of the Eath and some others. And the main difference is on the shape of images and in color. it is so differnt that it even takes time to became used to it. But I think it is better, more natural colors.
      By the way, your Ultimate edition (Reg2) also have two versions of Searchers - wide screen and not?
      Regards,
      Senta
      [snapback]37722[/snapback]

Hi Senta

I understand now. I will have to check whether the Ultimate Edition has widescreen and academy versions. The reason I am querying the print is that the Ultimate Edition print is already great but it will be interesting to see what has been done in terms of print.

Best

Mike
    • Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Dec 13 2006, 10:30 AM
      Wonder is this a clever marketing ploy to make sure we have at least 2 versions :wacko:
      [snapback]37804[/snapback]

The initial release (1997) of The Searchers on Region 1 had both versions. But not including the fullframe version in the Ultimate Collector's Edition (Region 1) is certainly no loss.

It illustrates how DVD packages can vary from region to region. Here's an example -- in this case not crossing an ocean.

The Ultimate Collector's Edition (UCE) was included in my Region 1 box set of the John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection. It wasn't supposed to be included according to the product description (it was supposed to be the Ultimate Edition). To make room for the UCE, which is twice the thickness of the UE, Stagecoach was excluded altogether. But on the box set itself, the one I received, there's no mention of Stagecoach. When I Google the UPC number on my set, the results show that Stagecoach is included.

My box set is probably the early Canadian release and rights to Stagecoach, or rights to some part of its special features, hadn't been cleared yet in Canada.