The Searchers (1956)

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 344,066 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Surprised that no one commented on the cast and crew call sheets for "The Searchers". We have the entire crew confirmed, including the stunt players, and Duke's office telephone number in case anyone would like to venture a call.
    Figured Hawkswill would at least try to get a ouija board and contact Ward Bond.
    Can't win 'em all.

We deal in lead, friend.

Fantastic post Bill, I love knowing all this behind the scenes info.
    Could not see your name on there as supplier of great stills though!:wink_smile:

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• That is soooo cool, Gorch! Thanks for sharing that with us. But, the numbers I keep dialing don't work. :wink_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Thanks everyone. I thought some of you would be interested. Notice that Duke's calls are diverted to Mary St. John. Also that the General Custer character was cast.
    I thought the addresses were incomplete but zip codes hadn't been invented yet.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Thanks everyone. I thought some of you would be interested. Notice that Duke's calls are diverted to Mary St. John. Also that the General Custer character was cast.
    I thought the addresses were incomplete but zip codes hadn't been invented yet.

We deal in lead, friend.

LOL, told Peter to check it out after I had found it.....don't know how we all missed it except, there were so many posts on that one email...strange.
    You didn't comment on the fact that Ward lives here.......suppose you decided you had better skip that, LOL...........old batty Keith!

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• New book coming out about The Searchers in February.

Here is the link to its page on Amazon, you can read more about it there:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sear…ican-Legend/dp/1608191052

Also, an article by Glenn Frankel on visiting Monument Valley:

http://glennfrankel.com/blog/2008/09/14/john-fords-monument/

(The e-mail address at the end is outdated; he is now dean of the School of Journalism at the University of Texas-Austin)

• After reading the amazon ad material, I'm not sure that the making of The Film "The Searchers" is the focus of the book. It seems to be more about the physical abduction and life of Cynthia Ann Parker and the concomitent (ahem) scar upon the American psyche.
    Of course, this is the inspiration for the film, but don't expect to find a day by day detailed of the making of it. I believe it will be interesting reading. Just don't be mislead.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I got the same Idea......maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. But I am buying Ward, Duke and Pappy's book first, LOL! I don't imagine you are shocked by that.

After reading the amazon ad material, I'm not sure that the making of The Film "The Searchers" is the focus of the book. It seems to be more about the physical abduction and life of Cynthia Ann Parker and the concomitent (ahem) scar upon the American psyche.
    Of course, this is the inspiration for the film, but don't expect to find a day by day detailed of the making of it. I believe it will be interesting reading. Just don't be mislead.

We deal in lead, friend.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• [quote='Gorch','http://dukewayne.com/bb/index.php?thread/&postID=122085#post122085']Surprised that no one commented on the cast and crew call sheets for "The Searchers". We have the entire crew confirmed, including the stunt players, and Duke's office telephone number in case anyone would like to venture a call.
    Figured Hawkswill would at least try to get a ouija board and contact Ward Bond.
    Can't win 'em all.

Something I found funny in the list. When all the stuntmen are listed the left column says "Stunt Double" and the right column has the name, except Bad Chuck Roberson who is listed as both the part and the player. I'm reading THE FALL GUY now and somehow it seems appropriate that he's listed as both.

• It does make sense tho, since many times Chuck had an acting part in Duke's films as well as stunting. Usually it was a very small part, but it was nice seeing him in a bigger role in McLintock.

• What a tribute this is for the Duke and all those involved with the making of The Searchers. John Ford of course being on top of that list. Here in 2013, 57 years later and being judged by a generation that was at least 3 or 4 generations removed it is truly a testament to the greatness of the movie and of course the two Johns. Especially John Wayne who was so powerful in it that one cannot picture another actor doing it any justice. Not to make light of Ford who's style is imprinted on the film as only he could have made.

If you say Gone With The Wind (#10) was not a Western which I do not consider it, then this poll puts The Searchers as the #1 western of all time. The top 12 of 100 on this list were as follows...
    #1 Citizen Kane
    #2 The Godfather
    #3 Casablanca
    #4 Bonnie and Clyde
    #5 Psycho
    #6 It's a Wonderful Life
    #7 Mean Streets
    #8 The Gold Rush
    #9 Nashville
    #10 Gone With The Wind
    #11 King Kong
    #12 The Searchers

The Wild Bunch comes in as the next western at #83. The only other western on the list, unless one counts Brokeback Mountain which I personally do not. That one was #94.
    In a quick caption the magazine says this was Ford's darkest western with John Wayne as a Civil War vet obsessed with finding his niece. It also says this one has a closing shot for the ages. Who could deny that? I still get goose bumps seeing Duke, the ultimate outsider looking in and walking away as the music kicks in and the movie ends.
    John Wayne's portrayal of Ethan Edwards was so powerful leaving an everlasting imprint on not only one's thoughts but on their very souls. To not have gotten an Oscar for this yet given one for True Grit is almost laughable imo. As great as John Ford was and he certainly was, it goes without saying that minus the Duke, it's doubtful it would be remembered today as this magazine shows that it still is.
    Of course the direction was superb as was the supporting cast but the facts are the facts and John Wayne was the sun in any movie he made while everyone else merely orbiting planets. That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

• What a tribute this is for the Duke and all those involved with the making of The Searchers. John Ford of course being on top of that list. Here in 2013, 57 years later and being judged by a generation that was at least 3 or 4 generations removed it is truly a testament to the greatness of the movie and of course the two Johns. Especially John Wayne who was so powerful in it that one cannot picture another actor doing it any justice. Not to make light of Ford who's style is imprinted on the film as only he could have made.

If you say Gone With The Wind (#10) was not a Western which I do not consider it, then this poll puts The Searchers as the #1 western of all time. The top 12 of 100 on this list were as follows...
    #1 Citizen Kane
    #2 The Godfather
    #3 Casablanca
    #4 Bonnie and Clyde
    #5 Psycho
    #6 It's a Wonderful Life
    #7 Mean Streets
    #8 The Gold Rush
    #9 Nashville
    #10 Gone With The Wind
    #11 King Kong
    #12 The Searchers

The Wild Bunch comes in as the next western at #83. The only other western on the list, unless one counts Brokeback Mountain which I personally do not. That one was #94.
    In a quick caption the magazine says this was Ford's darkest western with John Wayne as a Civil War vet obsessed with finding his niece. It also says this one has a closing shot for the ages. Who could deny that? I still get goose bumps seeing Duke, the ultimate outsider looking in and walking away as the music kicks in and the movie ends.
    John Wayne's portrayal of Ethan Edwards was so powerful leaving an everlasting imprint on not only one's thoughts but on their very souls. To not have gotten an Oscar for this yet given one for True Grit is almost laughable imo. As great as John Ford was and he certainly was, it goes without saying that minus the Duke, it's doubtful it would be remembered today as this magazine shows that it still is.
    Of course the direction was superb as was the supporting cast but the facts are the facts and John Wayne was the sun in any movie he made while everyone else merely orbiting planets. That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

• The Searchers - 50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition

Will this be avaliable in the UK?

The Searchers was on today in the UK and I have to say that that last shot still gets me, the duke should have won an oscar for that performance.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday."