The Shootist (1976)

There are 176 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 249,508 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• H. sanada
    J.B. Books tells The Young Lady "I Sure Hope The Right Fellow Comes Along."
    :teeth_smile:
    Duke said He added that to the Script , so that J.B. Books would look like a Real Gentleman Before He went into the Saloon For the Big Gunfight !!!
    :dead:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• Thanks again Brooks
    Because of my poor ability for english hearing,It made a mistake dangerously.
    " I sure hope the right fellow comes along " is a good dialogue and just like Duke
    to say so!

About this dialogue,there's an interesting story.
    Several years ago, Mr.Ohbayashi(japanese movie director)visited Duke's daughter
    and he heard from her that this dialogue was often said by Duke in real life.

Is it true?
    and I want to know the name of Duke's daughter who told so .
    Anybody know?
    Best regards,

H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• H. sanada
    I think that was Duke's Young Daughter "Aissa," and Yes when Duke did meet a Young Lady that Did Not have a Wedding Ring on Her Finger, being the Gentlman that He Was would say "I Sure Hope the Right Fellow Comes along."
    :regular_smile:
    Bill

• Yes We are very happy Duke's last movie is The Shootist, the great western movie
    filled with his gentlemanship.
    H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Yes We are very happy Duke's last movie is The Shootist, the great western movie filled with his gentlemanship.

Great observation!

We appreciate the film as a fitting end to a long and illustrious cinematic career. The character, and the man who played him, were very human in their response to great pain, but both gracious gentlemen as well.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Everything said here is quite right. A fitting and moving end to a magnificent career.

I ALWAYS cry buckets when I watch this film. Bet all you guys shed a tear too if your not too macho to admit it.

The casting was superb. Lauren Bacall was perfect. My apologies to MOH but for me she would not have been right as I recall too much on screen history between her and JW.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Elly,
    I Don't Cry Buckets Of Tears, but I do admit that when I watch the Film "The Shootist" and that is quite often, I keep a Box of Tissue Close By for that Tear or Two, as this was a Great Duke Film, with a Great Cast all the way, and just the way that I Remember Him !
    :cry2:
    Bill

• Elly,

I Don't Cry Buckets Of Tears, but I do admit that when I watch the Film "The Shootist" and that is quite often, I keep a Box of Tissue Close By for that Tear or Two, as this was a Great Duke Film, with a Great Cast all the way, and just the way that I Remember Him !
    :cry2:
    Bill

Bill you are very fortunate to have known JW personally. And we are very fortunate thast you tell us these stories and give us this "inside" information. I know i am not alone in telling you how very much I enjoy and appreciate it. Thank you

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Watching this film after many of his other films, makes it even more poignant for there are many moments in this film that make this film the fitting farewell that it is. The last 20 minutes of the film hold the most significance, in these 20 minutes I feel that Duke was in effect saying goodbye to his fans... I know that there are a lot of arguments over this, but it seems to me that he knew he was dying and that this was his last chance for a cinematic finale worthy of his stature. Heck, if one views his entire body of work from the 70's it's almost like a long goodbye.... now I know that's a stretch, but in these 10 films he inserts more of his wisdom then previously decades.

This decade had his most heartfelt films, filled with damn good advice to live by and about what being a man is. But getting back to the film, the moments between Duke and Bacall are especially emotional and heart tugging. If you don't get misty eyed, then you are obviously stone hearted. Or perhaps you have no idea just who the hell John Wayne is. No other actor has, at least in my knowledge, ever had a screen epitaph worthy of capping their career

Now onto the analysis of the film

Acting
    The Acting was wonderful; Duke gives easily the best performance of his career. The entire cast deserved awards with one exception. The best scenes, as I previously stated, are those between Bacall and Duke, you feel almost as if Bacall was saying goodbye to Duke himself instead of John Bernard Books.

Story
    This viewing is the first time I have ever paid attention to the nuances of the film and let me tell you.... this film is highly rewarding and worth owning if you are even a casual fan of the Duke's.

And the rest
    The score was fitting, especially when he walked into the bar for the final showdown. The cinematography was in short awesome and rivals that of the work done by Clothier. And the editing was obviously done by seasoned pros. Now the only reason I mention the editing is because prior to this film I watched Rooster Cogburn which was very badly edited, and stuck me as a film from first timers.

• I may have asked this before but I can't remeber. The meds I'm taking now are pretty strong so I forget easy so please forgive me if I have. I had heard That when they were trying to cast the shootist they offered it to many before finally giving it to Wayne. I heard Newman, and Hackman and Boone along with several others. Duke was getting pretty mad because he wanted this role so bad. My thoughts are I wonder if the others turned it down because they all knew it was perfect for the Duke since he had cancer and out of respect, I would like to also know why they didn't offer it to duke in the first place I mean it fit his life to a tee. I heard this on tcm or HDnet or hell maybe I dreamed it. Has anyone heard this story.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Hi Brick

I don't believe anybody turned it down because they felt it was more appropriate for Duke e.g. Gregory Peck turned the role down due to the fact that he played a similar role in "The Gunfighter,".

At the time Duke Dukes health was deteriorating and many felt he would not be able to complete this film therefore they asked other actors before him.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi

I'm just about to go out to work so I haven't got the full time to research this topic but the role was offered to three or four other actors before John wayne took it.
    The book was quite earthy and controversial and before it came to the screen had to amended quite severely.
    If you read Don Segals' book the first chapter deals with the making of The Shootist.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks I'll try to find the book. The shootist is my favorite Duke movie although it's sad I believe it's wayne's finest acting. I used to not be able to watch the cowboys or shootist because he was killed in both. I got by that and the shootist became my favorite.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

George C. Scott was originally offered the role of Books, and accepted it on the condition that not one word of the script be changed. However, the role was given to John Wayne after he expressed interest. The producers claim they had wanted him all along, but did not believe he would be interested in the film.

This is what I found in the imbd thread about The Shootist. There might be more information about that, but I haven't found anything yet. I'll check later today on that information.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• "The producers claim they had wanted him all along, but did not believe he would be interested in the film."

This is a very strange statement since I'm sure most of us on this board feel the movie was written specifically for our main man. I know I myself feel that way.

De gustibus non est disputandum