Brannigan (1975)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 122 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• I only bought this dvd last week and watched it last night.I loved it!!John Wayne in London...BRILL!!!!!!!The car chase was so cool to watch.I've been to London so many times so it was interesting to see how the city has changed in the last 30 years.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Duke's Movie Locations-London

LONDON- England

brannigan_lamb.jpg ******* The Lamb Pub
      do215.jpg ******* The Dorchester
      towerbridge.jpg ******* Tower Bridge

Information from
      The Worldwide Guide to Movie Locations

A US cop comes to London to apprehend an escaped villain, in John Wayne's only English picture.

The criminal mastermind is quite obviously the English Tourist Board, as every event takes place in front of a famous London landmark. The muffed postal drop filmed in the middle of Piccadilly Circus, where the villains manage to escape through convenient, if unlikely, sewers (isn't there a tube station down there somewhere?).

Villain Ben Larkin (John Vernon) stays in luxury at the Dorchester Hotel, 53 Park Lane (previously seen in 60s classic Morgan ‚ A Suitable Case For Treatment).

Jim Brannigan (Wayne) and Det Sgt Thatcher (Geeson) enjoy a meal at famed celeb eaterie Mario and Francoís Terrazza, which is now now Lupo, 50 Dean Street, Soho (tel 020.7434.3399).

Brannigan has to borrow a tie when he lunches with top cop Commander Swann (Richard Attenborough) at theGarrick Club , 15 Garrick Street, the gentlemen's club which numbered Charles Dickens among its members.

Another famed gentsí club: Larkin is kidnapped from the lavishRoyal Automobile Club (RAC), 89 Pall Mall. Just look at the famously extravagant swimming pool.

Brannigan's temporary London home is 61-80 York Mansions, Prince of Wales Drive alongside Battersea Park, south London (though when the villains booby-trap his toilet with a bomb, the resulting hole in the wall mysteriously reveals a view of the Albert Memorial in Hyde Park). Whatever.

He moves in with Jennifer Thatcher, at Douglas House, 6 Maida Avenue, Maida Vale, west London (next door to A Fish Called Wandaís ëKipling Mansionsí).

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/john-wayne/John%20Wayne/New004-1.jpg[/IMG]"][IMG:http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c187/john-wayne/John%20Wayne/New004-1.jpg]

The obligatory pub fight, where everyone ends up flailing at everyone else, was filmed in The Lamb in the centre of the Victorian arcaded Leadenhall Market at the foot of the new Lloyds Building (tube: Bank),which also houses The Leaky Cauldron in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

The most famous scene is the car leap across a half-opened Tower Bridge. The Metropolitan Police HQ, Scotland Yard, seems to jump the Thames too,from its usual home in Victoria. The view from the windows is obviously south of the River Thames. These scenes were shot in St Thomasí Hospital.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi Keith,
      I'm going to London in February for a couple of days.If I got the time(got tickets to see some theatre,matinee and evening performances) i will definately try to go Duke sightseeing ;)
      Thanks for that info!
      Liliane
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Re: Brannigan

Hi All

I watched Brannigan tonight.

Another continuity goof for the record .

The post van used to collect the ransom changes registration numbers from collecting the post at Piccaddilly to when it leaves for the post office.

The plate also moves from below the window to just above the bumper.

Also, spotted in the credits that Christopher Trumbo son of Dalton wrote the screenplay.

Great show anyway, nice to see car chase over Tower Bridge

Mike
    • Re: Brannigan (1975)

This in my humble opinion is one of John Waynes most overlooked movies. It is sandwhiched between the awful Rooster Coburn and the reasonable but ultimately inferior McQ.

The movie is slick, well acted and directed, features a host of well known British actors and is extremly enjoyable. If you haven't watched it already make a point of doing so, and while it may not be as good as 'Dirty Harry' its certainly much better than the four 'Dirty Harry' sequels.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

The second tracer was slipped into the suitcase of money whilst the lawyer made himself a drink. The tracking device under the car was discovered making him feel safe.

Brannigan's son (who was an lawyer) had discovered that Larkin (the gangster) and the lawyer had been wiped out finacially by some bad investment scheme.

I assume the money came from Larkin's gangster friends or was a means of getting money out of Larkin's bank accounts without it being traced.

Seemed a bit rough to cut his finger off mind you.

Mike

Mike

Hi Mike

In the version of Brannigan that I have it is never revealed what Brannigans son told him via the telephone conversation. The scene simply ends with Brannigan stating to Swann 'I wish it were Christmas, have I got some kind of a present for you'. My version also does not show the tracker being slipped into the suitcase. Is my version short some scenes?

Regards
      Robbie

Hi Robbie

I think Brannigan mentions Jupiter stock in the phone conversation which is later revealed to have plummented in value when the lawyer and Larkin are congratulating themselves.

The lawyer is having a drink and if you look past his left elbow you can see Brannigan slipping the tracker device in the case whilst giving a wink to Swann!!

(Only kidding!!!)

Brannigan takes a wad of money out of the briefcase. The lawyer tells him it is all there and fixes himself a drink and at some point either Brannigan or Swann have sneaked in the tracker device which flys out when the lawyer throws a wad of money to Larkin.

Hope this explains it for you. I dont have a lost version of the DVD with extras LOL

Best

Mike

Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().

This is one my favorite John Wayne films, although it is nowhere near his best I thoroughly enjoy this movie. I can watch it many times in a row and not get tired of it, his chemistry with John Hammond is excellent they should have made more movies together. And as an added bonus The Hitman played by Daniel Pilon also terrorized Hulk Hogan in my favorite Hogan movie The Ultimate Weapon.

Lt. Brannigan wrote:

This is one my favorite John Wayne films, although it is nowhere near his best I thoroughly enjoy this movie. I can watch it many times in a row and not get tired of it, his chemistry with John Hammond is excellent they should have made more movies together. And as an added bonus The Hitman played by Daniel Pilon also terrorized Hulk Hogan in my favorite Hogan movie The Ultimate Weapon.

Do you mean Richard Attenborough instead of John Hammond, as I am unaware of any actor within this movie called Hammond.

Regards
      Robbie