Brannigan (1975)

There are 128 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 220,462 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Carl,
    The London sights are great in this movie, remain this city to me very nice. Like a sightseeing tour with all great places.
    Regards,
    Vera

Hi Vera, Keith,

Vera, I liked seeing the sights of London as well. Also, I liked seeing Duke in the midst of it all in a city that he could not have been very familiar with.

Keith, thanks for the link.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Also, I liked seeing Duke in the midst of it all in a city that he could not have been very familiar with.

I think Duke probably was quite familiar with London. There are pictures at allposters.com showing him in London in 1956 and 1960. Prior to making Brannigan he had visited to appear on Parkinson, it was during that visit that he caught pneumonia.

• HI Cole, I had not known the extent of his travels overseas. Also, thanks for that other as well. I had not known he hed been down with pneumonia/ I had double pneumonia when I was around 17-18 years old. I know how tough it can be to get over it. I wonder how long he was hospitalized? I was in for 8 days with IV's stuck in each arm.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I don't know if he was hospitalized, but it was a serious thing for a man of his age, particularly one who had been working on one lung for the past 9 or 10 years. It's possible that the illness in 1974 damaged a valve in his heart, necessitating surgery in 1978.

• A good movie with a nice little twist in it. Good quality actors, a solid director and fine action scenes.
    The movie inspired a British TV series from the mid '80s called Dempsey and Makepeace, that was quite popular in Europe and ran for 3 seasons.

• Is that true about Dempsey and Makepeace being inspired by Brannigan? Never knew that. D&M has always been one of my fave shows. Was in London last week and visited some of the sights that Duke showed us in Brannigan. Been walking in his footsteps so to speak :teeth_smile:

• Not sure about Duke in a cop role, its although he was pushed into 'dirty Harry' territory, never looked comfortable in the role to me

That said, all inall,not a bad movie, but not one of the best

• Not sure about Duke in a cop role, its although he was pushed into 'dirty Harry' territory, never looked comfortable in the role to me

That said, all inall,not a bad movie, but not one of the best

This movie does not resemble a "Dirty Harry" movie, I also don't think it was supposed to, its also clear Duke is comfortable within the role he seems to be really enjoying it.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• My post was from my own personal opinion, I remember the films release and it was said at the time in a newspaper review that Duke did not seem at ease in the role, to which I agree

As I have stated, its not a bad film

• interesting to read the posts about Brannigan, I liked the film.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• I like "Brannigan"! The Duke playing an american cop in England was great fun! I like "McQ" too... Both, Brannigan and McQ were tough cops and the bad guys had hard times. I think, sometimes in real life, we could need cops like them!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• i think Brannigan is a great movie with familiar british faces in the supporting cast.
    the London locations are great and the action scenes are superb. i rate this movie better than McQ.it is interesting to see how London was 30years ago compared to today.

9/10

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit