Brannigan (1975)

There are 128 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 220,594 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• the more i watch brannigan the more i like it. i prefer it to mcq but they are both good films

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• I remember reading a great story about Duke during the filming of "Brannigan" in London, forgive me if it's already been told but here goes.

While filming the car chase over Tower bridge the police told the director that under no circumstances could he close the bridge for the scene which involved two cars actually leaping across an open section while it was being raised, on hearing this Wayne apparently told the director to go ahead and shoot the scene anyway and to hell with what the police said.

When asked if it was a good idea to go against an official police order Duke is said to have replied "Hell!! who's going to argue with a living legend ?"

BRILLIANT !!

• Just watched it and I enjoyed it more than McQ. Knock, Knock ... is a great introduction of Brannigan. Didn't cared much about the age of Duke. I think he was perfect for a cop end of his 50's (I think this was the age of Brannigan). Next to John Wayne i liked the locations of London, the soundtrack and the humour of this movie. For me the movie was pretty good but I have to say I'm a fan of Cop Thrillers. It's like Dirty Harry for John Wayne Fans. Of course Clint Eastwood would be better for that sort of Movie but IMO John Wayne did an excellent job. I also thought that the supporting cast with Sir Richard Attenborough and the pretty Judy Geeson acted quite well. I got the feeling that Attenborough enjoyed the work with John Wayne.

Loved the following lines:
    Lt. Brannigan: How's the world's second-best navy?
    Royal Navy Sailor: You should know.

Also there was new trivia about the movie on IMDB not posted yet here:

[imdb]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072732/trivia[/imdb]

• Brannigan's pistol, as pointed out by Cmdr. Swann, is a Colt Diamondback .38 Special with a four-inch barrel. He carries the same pistol in McQ.
      • Del Henney is dubbed.
      • The motorcycle dispatch courier, thrown into the Thames by John Wayne, is played by Tony Robinson who would later find fame as Baldrick in the TV series "The Black Adder" (1983).

• Detective Lieutenant James Brannigan, played by 67-year-old John Wayne, was supposed to be in his late fifties.
      • The production was difficult for John Wayne since he had heart problems and had just recovered from a severe bout of pneumonia.
      • The film proved to be one of John Wayne's least successful movies at the box office. Wayne himself said he would not have made the film if he had known McQ (1974) was only going to be a moderate success.
      • In 1975, United Artists theatrically distributed this film in the USA on a double bill with Moonrunners (1975).

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

Edited once, last by JohnChisum ().

• JohnChisum, a fellow Brannigan fan ! Knock Knock!! great film isn't it? i'm glad you liked it and i agree it's a better film than McQ

" I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

• Yes I'm now a Brannigan Fan! Agree great film and it's quite entertaining. It's good that Brannigan is more humours than other Cop Thrillers round that time. :wink_smile:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• I watch "Brannigan" every time that I get a chance, and Like it Very Much ! And as Duke Said when He made the Film, "It is the same Old Story A lawman comes to Town And Takes on The Bad Guy!!!"
    :shades_smile:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• Mc Q is a bit too downbeat were as Brannigan is a much more fun action movie with particular highlights like knock knock sequence,the fight in the pub, the car chase and poor Tony Robinson getting thrown off his motor cycle at the end of the dock.

• i watched Brannigan on tv the other night - i thought it was ok but i m not a big fan of cop shows/films - also, to me, and this is purely personal, i thought john wayne looked a bit out of place and out of his comfort zone as a cop and a bit old to be playing the part he did - having said that, its always good to watch john wayne and it passed a pleasant evening but i don t think i d ve bothered had he not been in it

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Hi!
    I just saw the John Wayne movie, "Brannigan" . I love it! This is definately my favorite Wayne movie.

Remember the scene where the motorcycle driver throws the money bag into the river and John Wayne pushes him into the water to retrieve the money, only to find out that it was news paper?
    John Wayne then yells to his British counterpart and yells, " They Pulled a Murphy!"

Does anyone know what "Murphy" has to do with switching real money for newspaper? I'm stumped!

• ilovestrategy,

First of all, WELCOME to the Original John Wayne Message Board! We hope you have a good time here, hanging out with John Wayne fans from around the world.

As to your question, I did quite a bit of searching around, and the best I could come up with is that to "pull a murphy" must mean something along the lines of pulling a 'switcheroo' or substituting one thing for another (in this case, the newspaper for real money). The only reference to 'pull a murphy' in the Urban Dictionary was to someone dumping a boy/girlfriend for his/her best friend.

Hope that helps!

Chester :newyear:

• ilovestrategy,
    As to your question, I did quite a bit of searching around, and the best I could come up with is that to "pull a murphy" must mean something along the lines of pulling a 'switcheroo' or substituting one thing for another (in this case, the newspaper for real money). The only reference to 'pull a murphy' in the Urban Dictionary was to someone dumping a boy/girlfriend for his/her best friend.

Chester :newyear:

I did the same over here, and more or less got the same.
    I can only assume, of course the Irish connection,
    pity none of our Irish members are currently active,
    as I feel sure they might help.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Sadly this movie is not being distributed anymore. Even the used copies are becoming more expensive. The John Wayne Museum still sells copies but at $20 a copy.:omg:

I found that Amazon Digital has it and I downloaded it for $9.99.