Stagecoach (1939)

There are 184 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 247,075 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Sorry, I was just trying to help on somthing that I know a little about. You are right, Monument Valley is in Both Utah and Arizona, but the Mittens, Butte A, The Wall, Fords Point and The Totum Poll is in Arizona.

I will not bother you anymore.

The map on this Site will show you most of what is called Monument Valley and is not my Map but the Navajo Tribes Map.
    http://www.wyntoontrip.com/

Bill :ohwell:

• I don't remember when I saw Stagecoach for the first time, but I have saved all programmes of the Finnish Film Archive since I started going there in 1980. In -82 I've written a note about Stagecoach "Haven't lost anything as seen for the second time. John Wayne is lovely".
    Today I have to change the second for nth, but the rest of the statement remains the same

I don't believe in surrenders.

• The same for the so poetic title She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949) translated by La Charge Héroïque !

• Shortly, Clive Woollands will be posting his Film Facts under his user name on this board, chisum2, but for now he has given me permission to copy and paste his past entries from his Yahoo forum devoted to John Wayne. Thanks, Clive!

Now here are the film facts for the film that made 'Duke' famous, Stagecoach.

Producer: Walter Wanger. Screenplay: Dudley Nichols. Cinematographer:
    Bert Glennon. Art Director: Alexander Toluboff. Editors: Otto
    Lovering, Dorothy Spencer. Distribution: United Artists. Locations:
    California, Utah, Arizona. Cost of production: $531,300.

Date of production: 1938.

Orson Welles claimed he watched Stagecoach 40 times in preparation for making his film Citizen Kane.

Stagecoach was John Ford's first Western since the silent days of cinema. His previous Western had been 1926's Three Bad Men.

Bruce Cabot, who played the impresario in the original King Kong, tested for the role of The Ringo Kid.

The 7 Academy Awards Stagecoach was nominated for were, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Score (Win), Best Art Direction and Best Supporting Actor (a win for Thomas Mitchell).

Stagecoach was remade in colour in 1966, with Alex Cord playing the Ringo Kid, Ann-Margret as Dallas, and an ensemble cast including Bing Crosby (in his last movie), Stephanie Powers, Van Heflin and Slim Pickens.

• have just watched this movie for the first time. thought that the tension between the characters was great, it gave suspense and tension to the movie. the budding love between waynes character and the saloon girl dallas made for a good love interest, you got to see them build up from a closed bud to a flower in bloom. how the change between the two women changes from the beginning to the end is reinforced by the way the towns ladies react to dallas when they get into the town and how lucy talks to her like she is someone.

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• One of the early major motion pictures to come out of Hollywood
    was a Western epic called Stagecoach.
    Along with Claire Trevor,Thomas Mitchel and George Bancroft,there
    appeared a young fresh player named John Wayne.

About 1960,It was in Stagecoach that I found J.W. in screen for the first time.
    and since then I love J.W.
    fortunately,
    I could seen old great pictures by reason of reran boom which happened in Japan.
    From Stagecoach to The Shootist,He has a tender eye to lady.
    Yes ,He is a real good guy.
    rare old pictures, i attached. Duke is so young.

Regards,
    H.sanada

• Here is an example of the book. It has a few Western short stories, Stagecoach being one of them. Enjoy!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Here's a Japanese press sheet for Stagecoach.
    I got it from the movie distributor free of charge about fifty years ago.
    Today, it is worth thousand of dollars!
    When I saw the price tag of this in the shopwindow,hesitated whether
    to sell this or not to sell.
    But,i still have it.:wink_smile:

H.sanada

• Thanks for sharing that with us, H.sanada. I bet that does test your will when you have something that you love but could get a lot of money for. But, money spends quickly and then you have nothing. It's better to hold on to a thing you care about, I think. :shades_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "