Stagecoach (1939)

There are 184 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 247,036 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Thanks for sharing that with us, H.sanada. I bet that does test your will when you have something that you love but could get a lot of money for. But, money spends quickly and then you have nothing. It's better to hold on to a thing you care about, I think. :shades_smile:

Mark

Yes Mark,
    I can not take the memory of DUKE at any money.

H.sanada

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• Here is a 1939 magazine issue about Stagecoach from England, I believe. Another great find I got off ebay a few years ago.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I can't think of anything to say against this film. I feel it's everything a good western should be. It must have been hard for JW with John Ford needling him to get the desired emotions on film, but in the end perhaps he felt it was worth it.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi didisha,

We do know that Stagecoach was lifted from
    the well nown story by Ernest Haycox
    Stage to Lordsburg

It does seem, what you say, could have some substance!
    and here is a piece written by Ernest Haycox

Lastly, there have been many parallels drawn between "Stage to Lordsburg" and the earlier story "Boile de Suif (Ball of Fat)" by the French author Guy de Maupassant. There is a good chance that Haycox was exposed to Mussapant's work while a student at the University of Oregon, but rather than belabor this debate further, we have added the original story Boile de Suif by Guy de Maupassant to The Library and leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

"Stage to Lordsburg" originally appeared in the April 10, 1937 issue of Collier's.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi, I'm from Italy, few days ago I've seen "Stagecoach" in english and with a different soundtrack from that I use to listen.
    Somebody knows if there are two different music soundtracks of this movie?

• Hi Frank

WELCOME to The Original JWMB.

Please take a look around,
    we're a friendly bunch of folks,
    and there is a wealth of information to see,
    regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

As we have a dedicated thread already for this movie,
    I have merged your post here.
    In answer to your question,
    I believe there is ony one soundtrack for the original film.
    Unless anyone knows differently!

Take a look here

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi all
    I read the senario of Stagecoach many times.
    To my surprise,It is written in refined English.
    I guess this movie is the good teacher to learn
    living English.
    Of course, it has many slung. but generally sounds
    good modern English.
    ain't, gonna, in', gotta ,yoou'da,get along,and so
    aren't they used by Americans?
    Here's famous Ringo Kid 's line in Stagecoach.

"Well,there's some things a man just can't run away from."

"Yeah,that's it. Look,Miss Dallass.You got no folks,neither have I,
    well,maybe I'm talking a lot for granted.but I watched you with that baby-
    that other woman's baby,You looked well well,I still got a ranch across the Border . It's a nice place, a real nice place trees,grass,water,there's a cabin half built. A man could live there,and a Woman. Will you go?"

"We ain't never gonna say goodbye."

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

Edited once, last by H.sanada ().

• (bump)ing this thread to the top -

Stumpy had an interesting question, which he posed in the "What Was the Last Western You Watched?" thread, but I thought I'd bring it here, to the dedicated thread, to promote the conversation -

It's been such a long time since I've watched it, I admit I haven't the foggiest idea :headbonk:.

But I'm sure others know.

Chester :newyear:

• Just recalling on memory, I think his name was Henry. I don't remember his last name, though. anyone else know it from memory without checking? :wink_smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Mark great post the Stagecoach magazine from England.

Claire Trevor was before her time. There are some good women actors today, but few striking as Trevor and other actresses from the 30's, 40's, and 50's.

• This is the Film
    "STAGECOACH"
    :teeth_smile:
    And Many Film People Think that it is The Best Western Film ever Made !
    :wink_smile:
    If You look at the Credits you will see that John Wayne Does Not Have Top Billing in the Film, but Claire Trevor Does !!
    :omg2:
    After Many Years of Making "B" Films , with the Help of John Ford, this Film would Start John Wayne on His Way to Being the Biggest Movie Star to Ever Hit The Big Screen !!!
    (bud)
    And just Where would John Ford make Most of The Film ?
    "Monument Valley"
    :beer:

Chilibill
    :cowboy:

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]

• In the second Clip is one of the Most Famous shots of John Wayne as the Stagecoach is coming and He fires a Shot and Yells "Hold It" and Spins His Rifle and then they Zoom in on His Face and this is the Begining of John Wayne The Super Star !
    :teeth_smile:
    This is the First time We see Duke in the Film, and we are over 15 Min. into the Film !!
    :wink_smile:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

[extendedmedia]

[/extendedmedia]