Stagecoach (1939)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 175 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Stagecoach (1939)

Shortly, Clive Woollands will be posting his Film Facts under his user name on this board, chisum2, but for now he has given me permission to copy and paste his past entries from his Yahoo forum devoted to John Wayne. Thanks, Clive!

Now here are the film facts for the film that made 'Duke' famous, Stagecoach.

Producer: Walter Wanger. Screenplay: Dudley Nichols. Cinematographer:
      Bert Glennon. Art Director: Alexander Toluboff. Editors: Otto
      Lovering, Dorothy Spencer. Distribution: United Artists. Locations:
      California, Utah, Arizona. Cost of production: $531,300.

Date of production: 1938.

Orson Welles claimed he watched Stagecoach 40 times in preparation for making his film Citizen Kane.

Stagecoach was John Ford's first Western since the silent days of cinema. His previous Western had been 1926's Three Bad Men.

Bruce Cabot, who played the impresario in the original King Kong, tested for the role of The Ringo Kid.

The 7 Academy Awards Stagecoach was nominated for were, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Score (Win), Best Art Direction and Best Supporting Actor (a win for Thomas Mitchell).

Stagecoach was remade in colour in 1966, with Alex Cord playing the Ringo Kid, Ann-Margret as Dallas, and an ensemble cast including Bing Crosby (in his last movie), Stephanie Powers, Van Heflin and Slim Pickens.

have just watched this movie for the first time. thought that the tension between the characters was great, it gave suspense and tension to the movie. the budding love between waynes character and the saloon girl dallas made for a good love interest, you got to see them build up from a closed bud to a flower in bloom. how the change between the two women changes from the beginning to the end is reinforced by the way the towns ladies react to dallas when they get into the town and how lucy talks to her like she is someone.

cheers smokey
      " its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

One of the early major motion pictures to come out of Hollywood
      was a Western epic called Stagecoach.
      Along with Claire Trevor,Thomas Mitchel and George Bancroft,there
      appeared a young fresh player named John Wayne.

About 1960,It was in Stagecoach that I found J.W. in screen for the first time.
      and since then I love J.W.
      fortunately,
      I could seen old great pictures by reason of reran boom which happened in Japan.
      From Stagecoach to The Shootist,He has a tender eye to lady.
      Yes ,He is a real good guy.
      rare old pictures, i attached. Duke is so young.

Regards,
      H.sanada
      Files

Here's a Japanese press sheet for Stagecoach.
      I got it from the movie distributor free of charge about fifty years ago.
      Today, it is worth thousand of dollars!
      When I saw the price tag of this in the shopwindow,hesitated whether
      to sell this or not to sell.
      But,i still have it.:wink_smile:

H.sanada
      Files

Thanks for sharing that with us, H.sanada. I bet that does test your will when you have something that you love but could get a lot of money for. But, money spends quickly and then you have nothing. It's better to hold on to a thing you care about, I think. :shades_smile:

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

dukefan1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing that with us, H.sanada. I bet that does test your will when you have something that you love but could get a lot of money for. But, money spends quickly and then you have nothing. It's better to hold on to a thing you care about, I think. :shades_smile:

Mark

Yes Mark,
      I can not take the memory of DUKE at any money.

H.sanada

I can't think of anything to say against this film. I feel it's everything a good western should be. It must have been hard for JW with John Ford needling him to get the desired emotions on film, but in the end perhaps he felt it was worth it.
      Greetings from North of the 49th

Hi didisha,

We do know that Stagecoach was lifted from
      the well nown story by Ernest Haycox
      Stage to Lordsburg

It does seem, what you say, could have some substance!
      and here is a piece written by Ernest Haycox

Lastly, there have been many parallels drawn between "Stage to Lordsburg" and the earlier story "Boile de Suif (Ball of Fat)" by the French author Guy de Maupassant. There is a good chance that Haycox was exposed to Mussapant's work while a student at the University of Oregon, but rather than belabor this debate further, we have added the original story Boile de Suif by Guy de Maupassant to The Library and leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

"Stage to Lordsburg" originally appeared in the April 10, 1937 issue of Collier's.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England