Stagecoach (1939)

There are 184 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 248,454 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is the oldest movie i have in my collection. To me, ( in my opinion) this is when the Duke Really started acting. I enjoyed this film. Lots of stars in it! Now i'm not
    slamming the older B movies he made in the thirty's, just saying i'm not in to them like
    most of you are.

• I'm trawling through some of JW's earlier movies at the moment Wtrayah, I think it is quite good to see how far he did go, how his acting improved, and that he had a long and very successful career..... I'm going to rewatch this one this week !!!

Dee x

• Those early films are how we came to know John Wayne. You have to remember, B westerns is what we as youngsters grew up on. A lot of stunts were perfected in B westerns. The fist fight, tumbling horses, stopping run aways, the water slue slide and so on. We see a lot of the old expressions Duke used later in almost all his comitic rolls. Don't miss out on these Golden prestar films as they show how he perfected his craft . Thanks Big Jim

Edited 2 times, last by Big Jim: grammer ().

• For once we have some Duke on the big screen here in the UK.
    Stagecoach is showing 2nd July at the BFI in London. 6.10

So, how many tickets have you bought. We need a place to stay when we get there. hehehe. Better not miss this one! Wish I was there.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• If you could cover both Hondo's and our airfare, I'm sure we all could make it! :wink_smile:

Chester :newyear and the Mrs. :angel1:

I'm putting it in the diary now as I'm sure to miss it otherwise.
    Can't think of a better reason to finish work early!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• SORRY GUYS, TWICE. 1986, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Johnnie Cash. When you see a remake, you have to considder it a complement to the actors and the director. True, there is no comparison but the last two were entertaining. Also I think I saw the 1966 with Ann Margaret first. In those days we didn't have a way to see older movies other than TV. Now we own them.

I remembered seeing part of the made for TV version years ago with county music's Highwaymen and couldn't resist buying a VHS of it about a year ago. Good thing those guys could sing

• I remembered seeing part of the made for TV version years ago with county music's Highwaymen and couldn't resist buying a VHS of it about a year ago. Good thing those guys could sing

Along with watching old movies like Stagecoach, I too enjoy spending hours on YouTube, watching the old Country and Western Classics.

Chester :newyear:

• Hey guys sorry if i'm a day late was celebrating Halloween, for my choice this month i'm going to go with Stagecoach since it's the movie that made the Duke a household name and because i'm only just getting around too watching it after failing to find a decent copy but recently picking it up on blu-ray, hope y'all are happy enough with that.

On Hatari I really didn't feel the film worked, the lack of script and planning was noticeable and it didn't flow too well for me. Might have been more interesting had it been a documentary of Duke on safari or something of that ilk but saying that it was interesting seeing Duke out in the wild and with all those exotic and unpredictable animals, but as I am a huge fan of Duke's work with Hawks it left me a little dissapointed.

• Great choice Irish. I've seen this one dozens of times, but in honor of this group choice, I just ordered the Criterion blue ray. I've been looking for an excuse to tell my wife why I wanted this newest format and now I can blame it on you.
    To establish my "bona fides", I own the The Film Classics Library book edition by Richard Anobile dated 1975. It contains fuzzy screen grabs plus the dialogue, sort of like a comic book, and predates VHS by several years. Hey, it was the only game in town. Must have picked up, VHS, laser discs and DVDs since then.
    Looking forward to the give and take on the film that made Duke, well, Duke.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Hey guys sorry if i'm a day late was celebrating Halloween, for my choice this month i'm going to go with Stagecoach since it's the movie that made the Duke a household name and because i'm only just getting around too watching it after failing to find a decent copy but recently picking it up on blu-ray, hope y'all are happy enough with that.

Thank you Irish Duke,,

For information on the movie,
    Cast, Stuntmen, Locations,
    please see our dedicated thread,
    Stagecoach

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England