Tall In The Saddle (1944)

There are 137 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 133,542 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I know I said it before, but I just love this film. As Gabby said, "someone has come to town!" And that someone of course was Wayne. I think I have pointed it out before too that this Western, is the FIRST in which Wayne solidified all the characteristics of his Western character personna. He dropped the "aw shucks I am just a simple cow-hand" element of his character that you see in Stagecoach, Dark Command, In Old California, and War of the Wildcats. For the first time, His western character is tough, smart, and not to be shown-up by anyone. From this western forward, his character would change very little.

GSP

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• One thing that surprised me was that Ella Raines doesn't have her thread in the Pals of the Saddle section. She is I feel the only female outside of Maureen O'Hara to give Duke a run for his money when it comes to tough stubborn headed and she matches swagger for swagger. Plus she's be-yoot-iful.

• It's been awhile since I have visited this thread. I discovered that the Amazon link I posted previously was not good anymore, so if anyone wants to check out Tall in the Saddle at Amazon, here is a more current link -

Tall in the Saddle at Amazon

I also thought I'd share some posters from the film. They're all very similar, from the original to the three reissues from 1949, 1953, and 1957. These are not as neat as some of the older posters.

tall in the saddle.jpg

Tall in the Saddle-1949 reissue poster.jpg

Tall in the Saddle-1953 reissue poster.jpg

Tall in the Saddle-1957 reissue poster.jpg

• This is one of my favorite John Wayne films, so it is with great pleasure that I share Clive Woolland's Film Facts for this film ~

Howdy Friends, well here is another film fact for you, this time from the western, Tall in the Saddle. I hope you like it.

Producer: Robert Fellows, Screenplay: Paul Fix, Michael Hogan,
    Cinematographer: Robert De Grasse, Art Directors: Ralph Berger,
    Albert S. D'Agostino, Editors: Philip Martin Jr, Distribution: RKO
    Pictures, Locations: California, Arizona, Date of Production: 1944.

It was the last film that Gabby Hayes made with John Wayne, as well as the only one co-star Ella Raines and Director Edwin Marin ever made with Duke.

London-born Elisabeth Risdon, who plays the domineering Miss Martin, began her film career in British silent movies before relocating to America. By the time she did Tall in the Saddle, she'd already acted in such film classics as 1942's Random Harvest and Reap the Wild Wind (also starring John Wayne).

Paul Fix has writing credits on only two other pictures, Ring of Fear (1954) and The Notorious Mr. Monks (1958).

Wayne's original 2-A deferment from joining the military on health grounds (a damaged inner ear, a bad back and assorted other ailments) was cancelled just before Tall in the Saddle was released. Wayne was delighted, as he hoped he'd finally get to see some action, but the studio that held his contract, Republic, wasn't. They argued that Wayne was more useful to the war effort keeping up morale at home and got the decision reversed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This contains two facts that are of particular interest (to me, at least). One is that this was apparently the last time John Wayne and Gabby Hayes appeared together. The item about Duke's ability to serve in the military (or not, as it obviously turned out) was interesting - I didn't realize all that took place around the time of this film.

Chester :newyear:

• I liked this movie a lot...a good story and the Duke looking fine and handsome !!!! The relationship between him and Ella Raines is fiery and I think they work well together. Also someone mentioned it before but the Duke baking in a movie was a sight to see !!!! Over all, I will watch this one again and again .

Found these pictures of Ella Raines and I thought I would share them with you, from dusty cowgirl to lovely lady, she certainly scrubs up well !!!!!!

• Over all, I will watch this one again and again.

I saw this film in your list of films watched recently, and wondered how you liked it. The Mrs. and I liked Tall in the Saddle from the very first viewing, and we're glad you enjoyed so much. It's also one we watch over and over.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester7777 and The Mrs ....yes it's a favourite and I just wanted to say thanks for the " pasting " up the different posters, interesting to look at aren't they ??

• This fine film has one of the best show-downs in film history, with not one shot fired. "TOUCH THAT GUN AND I'LL KILL YA."

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• John Wayne classic film to honor Rodeo

The California Rodeo Salinas plans to present the John Wayne classic, "Tall in the Saddle," Thursday at the Forest Theater in Carmel, California.

Those who attend the film should dress warmly and bring a picnic to enjoy, including beverages of choice (alcohol is allowed but not for sale), blankets and stadium seats if desired.

What: "Tall in the Saddle," John Wayne film
    When: Gates open at 6:30 p.m. Thursday and the film will begin at dusk (about 8:45 p.m.)
    Where: Forest Theater, Monte Verde Street and Eighth Avenue, Carmel.
    Tickets: $6 per person. Children under the age of 5 admitted free.
    Information: www.foresttheaterguild.org.

• tall in the saddle is one of my favourite john wayne westerns the story and acting is top notch.gabby hayes steals the film and what a joy to watch.everything else i think about the film has been said.

• Ben was Duke's riding double in Tall in the Saddle, and also had an uncredited role as a "townsman" in that one scene. I think I posted some time back here a screencap which I believe shows the very first shot ever of Ben and John Wayne visibly together on screen. Here it is again. This would also be Ben and Ward Bond's first scene together where you could see both clearly identifiable on screen. :)

It's a little hard to spot Ben but he's the man with the big white hat low over his eyes behind Gabby Hayes.