Tall In The Saddle (1944)

There are 137 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 133,520 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is what amazed me as I discovered more of the Duke's less well known films. Island in the sky, which I'd never seen until a year ago, went straight into my top 10 Duke films! Shame the networks don't show the rarer titles as some are fantastic!

If you haven't seen it check out "Tall in the Saddle", one of my favorites.

Hi Chester,

Haven't got around to Tall in the Saddle yet. I am a sad one and have a Duke filmography spread sheet of the titles I own and I'm working my way through them, in no particular order!
    In fact I'm going to post the list here to get some info from you guys and see if anyone can fill the 'holes'. :wink_smile:

Dooley, I urge you to read this thread from the beginning, and if you own Tall in the Saddle, watch it. You won't be sorry! I'm sure I've said it (maybe more than once :jump:) in this thread, but this movie has it all - action, adventure, comedy, romance, intrigue AND John Wayne! It doesn't get much better than that!

Chester :newyear:

• Two timing Duke,
    to just think that if Duke had not found out Clara was his second cousin,
    he would never have gone with Arly!
    All through he only had eyes for Clara,
    Arly was second best, I hope she never found out!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Repeat Phrase; "I never feel sorry for something that happens to a Woman?"
    I watched "Tall in the Saddle". The quality was decent and I like the first part
    of the movie real well. With Gabby,Ward Bond and the beautiful Ella Raines, they
    helped make the movie even better.
    Duke was kicking A__ and taking names in the first part of the movie. Then it
    got muddled for awhile untill they revealed the Twist.
    The twist of accusing Ward and then the guilty party turned out to be the
    supposedly nice guy who ran the Harolday ranch.
    The scenery was great, outdoors were done at the Paramount Ranch Agoura Hills, Calif.
    I liked it when Duke ran off all the horses in town.

I believe I posted my brief review here in the wrong place, where should it be?? thanks

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• I have copied your review to the dedicated thread
    Tall in the Saddle
    I was interested to read about the location work,
    as IMDb have the locations as

Lake Sherwood, California, USA
    RKO Encino Ranch, Encino, Los Angeles, California, USA
    RKO Studio, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Sedona, Arizona, USA

As it was an RKO Movie, they of course used their own facilities,
    I was just wondering why they would use the Paramount Ranch!

However IMDb have now added
    Agoura Ranch, Agoura, California, USA
    So presumably they have since found more information,
    although on the Paramount Ranch web site
    this movie is not mentioned!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Check this out. http://www.sedonamonthly.com/0…wood/tallinthesaddle.html

From Sedona, Duke was never there for this movie but they used exterior shots from Sedona and spliced Duke into the exterior shot.
    A new process at the time. Duke later was in Sedona to do exteriors for another movie.

By the way, misogynist- means women hater. People using words like that instead of plain English is why the six shooter was developed.
    Just drop them where they write. LOL!

This is the way I wanted this message to look, but I was unable to edit the other message similar to this. If someone can delete the other one please do. Ernie

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• Yes, Ernie, you posted in the correct place. How did you find out that location info? Or is that a secret, LOL? Very interesting about the exterior shots.

Thanks Keith for checking all that out and posting it in the proper place. Is it possible to get a comment on the movie from you. If you Dash Ward, I promise not to "hem and haw" about it.

WRONG. LOL, this is what I posted for clues so far, "the oft repeated short "phrase" in the movie. Second hint.....it was NOT Duke who said it!" Here are another two clues. It is either two or three short "utterings", LOL and it is said by Gabby Hayes! Now, it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for you to miss it!

Didn't get my post in last night as promised....fell asleep with the computer just chugging away with the Shootist on. Love that Movie more every time I watch it...always catch a little something extra......no, it is a Western, so it won't be the next Group Watch, LOL!

If you decide to comment for us Keith, please ask Mike, Arthur, etc. if they will also.

Looking forward to the other folks' comments, and mine will be in soon.

Super day to all, Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I think I have the answer to your question, Hawkswill. Is the short repeated phrase uttered by Gabby, "Uhuh, uhuh, yea." Thanks for the many clues.

I really do like this film. It's not a classic, or a work of art. But it is enjoyable to view. The story isn't really deep and there are not many twists and turns in the plot, making it a great film to just sit back and enjoy without wearing out the brain. Gabby is always worth a good laugh, though he did play being drunk a little too silly at times. I did notice that from time to time Duke would sport a look like he had just sucked on a lemon with his facial expressions. The only real flaw in the film, as mentioned already, the fight scene between Duke and Ward. You can CLEARLY see that it was 2 stunt men in one frame of the fight. And Ella Raines, always easy on the eyes, did a fantastic job as the fiery love interest for Duke. I loved how sly she acted as she was telling Clara about her and Rocklin. All in all, a really fun movie to watch and one I don't tend to tire of.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Keith,
    These were standard RKO Places to go. I posted earlier he didn't go to Sedona for
    this movie. However they did shoot exteriors at Sedona and Splice Duke in some of those scenes. I don't know about the other RKO places.
    I got the Paramount Agoura site from the Imbd web site, they said this.
    Go to: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037343/ then scroll down to Details- in there
    it says Filming Locations: Agoura Ranch, Agoura, California, USA See more
    then you click on See More and it takes you to: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037343/locations There it has at the top of the page:
    Agoura Ranch, Agoura, California, USA
    Lake Sherwood, California, USA
    RKO Encino Ranch - Balboa Boulevard & Burbank Boulevard, Encino, Los Angeles, California, USA
    RKO Studios - 780 Gower Street, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Sedona, Arizona, USA
    One step farther go to: http://www.b-westerns.com/location.htm
    This a very nice site with several locations and some nice Pictures also.

• WE HAVE A WINNER OF THE SHORT PHRASE CONTEST, LOL. DUKEFAN1 GOT IT. HERE IS WHAT HE SAID:
    "I think I have the answer to your question, Hawkswill. Is the short repeated phrase uttered by Gabby, "Uhuh, uhuh, yea." Thanks for the many clues".

This was said throughout the movie usually in answer to something Rocklin told him to do. Mark also gave a good comment on the movie. Some more of you out there to comment. Still hoping Keith will join in just as a Popcorn eater, beer drinking "watcher", LOL!

I will post the sketch that Mark receives as his prize after I send it to him...want it to be a surprise! Hmmm, pun was not intended.

Now, for my review......promised and late.
    DOOLEY, where ARE YOU? Keith

• Thanks Ernie, never looked up the locations before. And you were most detailed in your explanation. Appreciate it. Oh, Mark in the winner of the contest. I am sure you will remember the little "phrase" when you see what he wrote, LOL. Now, to choose a sketch that he will especially like!

Have a super day, and talk a buddy or two into joining the GW. Keith

• Well, thought Dooley would be back to take over by now. But, I know he had some meetings after his vacation, so....guess I am still "it", LOL!

I have a few comments to make about the Watch, but the majority of my contribution for this is the stunt work between Duke and Ward. This is my introduction to what I will be putting up near the end of the Watch.

Duke is known for developing realistic fight stunt work with Yakima Canutt. They worked hard on getting "it down". Ward and Duke were best friends and they did a great deal of practice stunt work, making it to be more real, etc. when they were at the Farm, when they had had too much card playing and too much Tequila, and a whole lot too much of Pappy Ford! Thing is, they rarely got to fight each other in movies as they were usually "pals".........just in practice and teaching others. For an older movie, Tall in the Saddle had a super fight scene between Ward and Duke. The one thing I cannot understand is WHY, as Mark said, they had some OBVIOUS stunt men that looked nothing like them for no reason. I mean, the first one was a man swinging his left leg up and hitting Duke in the jaw. I thought, well, Ward couldn't do that because of his leg...............wrong! Ward's leg was almost severed in the same year, but it had to have been after the movie.....because he was in hospital for about a year or so after the accident. Long story. Anyway, the only reason I could see for obvious stunt men....didn't look at all or were not near the same size as Duke and Ward...is that some stove pipes, some books and a bookcase fell on them. What a joke! They all could have been props, which is what they looked like anyway. And the "fighting" done by Ward and Duke was obviously superior to the stunt guys. So, I have done a frame by frame of the stunts, oh I left out some but kept the good stuff, LOL.
    Right before Ward and Duke fought, they stood face to face. I took shots of that to show what I believe to be their excitement at what they were about to do.....use all the practice they had done for a REAL MOVIE fight scene. Of course, they weren't supposed to be excited in the movie, but you can see it plain on their faces. Ward overacts a bit when laughing at what Duke says, and you can see a glimmer of a smile on Duke's face when he tells Judge Garvey, (Ward), that he is taking the cards in to be checked....he KNOWS they are about to have their first SCREEN fight, LOL!```So, now that you know what the two pictures are about, I will post them. My last post will be much more involved showing the whole fight sequence............looks a LOT different in frame by frame, LOLl Took a long time to do, but I think all will get a kick out of it.......hope so anyway. OK, here are Ward and Duke IN the Movie thinking about the very next thing they will be doing.......stunt fighting each other for the first time on film!``Keith

`````

• OK, it will be too much to post at once, so I will post the first part of the fight and then see how it goes. Might give out a slideshow link.

Notice the ring on Ward's ring finger. He always wore one until he married Maisie and then wore a wedding ring, even in Wagon Train when he wasn't married. The stunt man didn't wear one.

Looks like it won't take much so, I will give you a link for a slide show. There are about ninety pictures on this stunt fight. Pretty neat to see how they do everything.

• Thanks MB, the real thing is coming soon. About 80 pics, I think with some captions. Really cool to see the expressions on Ward and Duke's faces. Even though they don't show up much in the movie, they sure do in the stills. BOY, they were GOOD! Still can't imagine why they used doubles.....bet they were fit to be tied! Having a couple look it over before I post it....yours should be getting there any moment, so let me know.

Thanks again, YK

• OK, after having tested this on some friends, I was told to go for it, that it fascinated them. So, this is probably the strangest comment on the GW, but here it is. It really shows how a stunt fight scene is performed.

And, it shows, IF the actors are really good, that they use facial expressions that would match exactly what they were "faking" at the time! You will see the Duke and Ward were just that.....very good!

Hope you enjoy it. If you are bored by it, you can speed up the slide show, LOL.....or just stop it completely. Hope not though.

Click on the Link. Then, when prompted write in the password which is:]
    GabbyHayes with a capital G and H and NO SPACE. Then double click on SLIDE SHOW. You can stop, go back or forward by putting your mouse up close so the tool bar will show up. As I said, you can also speed it up, but you won't be able to read the captions. There are not captions for all. Well, let me know if this was any fun for you. First time I had seen a whole fight this way. Just wish the director had not insisted on doubles as they were certainly not needed. Keith Should have found out if I could put it to music! Well, turn on some fast music and then click, LOL!

http://s1269.photobucket.com/a…rd%20and%20Dukes%20Fight/

• Well, y'all, if you've read my other post this evening, you know some of the reasons we've been away for awhile, but we sure are glad to see that the Group Watch film choice this month is Tall in the Saddle (and that there was still month left to watch it)!

We originally stumbled upon this movie as a VHS among many JW films at a rummage sale quite a few years ago. From the very first time we watched it, we really liked it and it shot up to near the top of the list of favorite Duke movies, from a complete unknown.

It has a little of everything - comedy, suspense, romance, excitement, adventure. Gabby Hayes is superb, this was our first time seeing Ward Bond as the 'bad guy' (though as Hawkswill says, not the worst bad guy!), and some great lines come out of this movie.

We've 'waxed eloquent' in the thread dedicated to Tall in the Saddle, so will save everyone from reading it all again . . . . Suffice it to say, this was a great movie to pull off the shelf and watch! Thanks!!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1: