Tall In The Saddle (1944)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 133 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Tall In The Saddle (1944)

Ben was Duke's riding double in Tall in the Saddle, and also had an uncredited role as a "townsman" in that one scene. I think I posted some time back here a screencap which I believe shows the very first shot ever of Ben and John Wayne visibly together on screen. Here it is again. This would also be Ben and Ward Bond's first scene together where you could see both clearly identifiable on screen. :)

It's a little hard to spot Ben but he's the man with the big white hat low over his eyes behind Gabby Hayes.

Dooley wrote:

This is what amazed me as I discovered more of the Duke's less well known films. Island in the sky, which I'd never seen until a year ago, went straight into my top 10 Duke films! Shame the networks don't show the rarer titles as some are fantastic!

chester7777 wrote:

If you haven't seen it check out "Tall in the Saddle", one of my favorites.

Dooley wrote:

Hi Chester,

Haven't got around to Tall in the Saddle yet. I am a sad one and have a Duke filmography spread sheet of the titles I own and I'm working my way through them, in no particular order!
      In fact I'm going to post the list here to get some info from you guys and see if anyone can fill the 'holes'. :wink_smile:

Dooley, I urge you to read this thread from the beginning, and if you own Tall in the Saddle, watch it. You won't be sorry! I'm sure I've said it (maybe more than once :jump:) in this thread, but this movie has it all - action, adventure, comedy, romance, intrigue AND John Wayne! It doesn't get much better than that!

Chester :newyear:

Two timing Duke,
      to just think that if Duke had not found out Clara was his second cousin,
      he would never have gone with Arly!
      All through he only had eyes for Clara,
      Arly was second best, I hope she never found out!!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

ethanedwards wrote:

Two timing Duke,
      to just think that if Duke had not found out Clara was his second cousin,
      he would never have gone with Arly!
      All through he only had eyes for Clara,
      Arly was second best, I hope she never found out!!

I like to think that Duke was going to end up with Arly all along. Clara was not woman enough.