Chisum (1970)

There are 154 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 202,980 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Duke's Movie Locations

Most of the movie was filmed,
    around
    J.W. EAVES MOVIE RANCH
    Jw1.jpg

Jw3.jpg

Jw14.jpg

Jw2.jpg

Jw4.jpg

Located in Santa Fe, New Mexico, the J.W. Eaves Movie Ranch was opened in the early 1960's with their first production being the CBS television series Empire in 1962. Over 250 other productions have filmed here over the years including The Cheyenne Social Club, Chisum, Easy Rider and Young Guns II.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hey all of you John Wayne Fans!
    I have been away for a while, and just wanted to say hi!
    Speaking of Chisum, I love the picture of John Wayne, on his horse on the hill, looking into the distance. This is how I always will remember the Great John Wayne! Does anybody know if there is a poster or picture out there of him in that manor?
    I have a room in my house dedicated to the Duke and have framed many pictures, this is my favorite room in my house, and shall we say peacful!!!
    Good to be back!
    Stacy :hyper:

• Finnish, from 1970´s

"John Wayne is Chisum, the King of Pecos, who started the big cattle drives on the prairies"

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Just got Chisum on DVD, having owned it for years on video

Great movie, hopefully get to watch it again today

It apparently is based on the Lincoln County Wars, of which I have ordered the book from Amazon.com

Still awaiting delivery

• source: Wikipedia

John Simpson Chisum (15 August 182420 December 1884) was a wealthy cattle baron in the American West in the mid-to-late 1880s. Born in Hardeman County, Tennessee, Chisum's family moved to Texas in 1837, with Chisum finding work as a building contractor. He also served as county clerk in Lamar County. John Chisum got involved in the cattle business in 1854 and became one of the first to send his herds to New Mexico. He obtained land along the Pecos River by right of occupancy and eventually became the owner of a large ranch in the Bosque Grande, about forty miles south of Fort Sumner, with over 100,000 head of cattle. In 1866-67, Chisum formed a partnership with cattlemen Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving to assemble and drive herds of cattle for sale to the Army in Fort Sumner and Santa Fe, New Mexico.
    When Chisum died in Eureka Springs on 20 December 1884, he was unmarried and left his estate worth $500,000 to his brothers Pitzer and James. While living in Bolivar, Texas, he lived with a young slave girl named Jensie and had two daughters with her. The relationship is described in the book, "Three Ranches West." John had an extended family living with him at the South Springs ranch in Roswell, and this family, along with hired help, often numbered two dozen at the main ranch headquarters. Chisum's niece Sallie Chisum, the daughter of his brother James, became a beloved figure in the area where she lived until 1934. Both she and her uncle John are honored by statues to their memory at Roswell and Artesia.

Lincoln County War

Chisum was a business associate of Alexander McSween, a principal figure in the Lincoln County War. With money, advice, and influence behind the scenes, he played a role in the dispute between the opposing factions of cattle farmers and business owners. When Lewis Wallace took office as Governor of New Mexico on 1 October 1878, he proclaimed an amnesty for all those involved in the bitter feud. However, after Billy the Kid surrendered to the authorities, he was told he would be charged with the killing of Sheriff William J. Brady.
    Billy the Kid escaped from custody and went to see Chisum. Billy believed he was owed $500, but Chisum refused to pay, claiming that he had given Billy horses, supplies, and protection over the years in lieu of payment. Billy the Kid responded by promising to steal enough cattle to make up this sum. Billy's gang also stole from other cattlemen and became a serious problem in Lincoln County. His gang included Dave Rudabaugh, Billy Wilson, Tom O'Folliard and Charlie Bowdre.
    In 1880, Chisum was involved in getting Pat Garrett elected as sheriff of Lincoln County. Garrett immediately attempted to deal with the problems being caused by Billy the Kid. In December 1880, Garrett shot dead two of the Kid's gang, Tom O'Folliard and Charles Bowdre. Soon afterwards Billy the Kid, Dave Rudabaugh and Billy Wilson were captured by Garrett.

• [INDENT]

[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Here is a little story about the Chisholm Trail, and the John Wayne Film "Red River." that many people think was One Of The Best Westerns Of All Time ! :teeth_smile: http://www.wyntoontrip.com/REDRIVER1.html[/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Chilibill[/INDENT][INDENT]:cowboy:[/INDENT][/INDENT]

[/INDENT][/INDENT]

[/INDENT]

[/INDENT]

[/INDENT]

• Only one thing wrong, Bill - it's actually "Chisholm Trail"

De gustibus non est disputandum

• [INDENT]
    [INDENT][INDENT]Stumpy, your sure a Pickey Old ---- But What The Hell would I know about Spelling, I am just an Old Aerospace Engineer, and an Old Run Down Cowboy !!![/INDENT][INDENT]But I Fix-It Just For You ! :wink_smile:[/INDENT][/INDENT]

[INDENT][INDENT]William Thomas Brooks The Third :wink_smile: I think I Spelled My Name Right ? :yeaahh:[/INDENT][INDENT]:cowboy:[/INDENT][/INDENT]

[/INDENT]

• [INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Stumpy, your sure a Pickey Old ---- But What The Hell would I know about Spelling, I am just an Old Aerospace Engineer, and an Old Run Down Cowboy !!![/INDENT][INDENT]But I Fix-It Just For You ! :wink_smile:[/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]William Thomas Brooks The Third :wink_smile: I think I Spelled My Name Right ? :yeaahh:[/INDENT][INDENT]:cowboy:[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

I'm sorry, Bill, I posted the corrected spelling before I read your link, which gave the correct spelling. It was just a reflex, since I live right on the old Chisholm Trail.

De gustibus non est disputandum