Chisum (1970)

There are 154 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 201,355 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• In answer to Robbie's question
    -----------------------------------------------

Early life

Patrick Floyd Garrett was born in Chambers County, Alabama (near present day Cusseta). He grew up on a prosperous Louisiana plantation near Haynesville in northern Claiborne Parish, just below the Arkansas state line. He left home in 1869 and found work as a cowboy in Dallas County, Texas.
    In 1875, he left to hunt buffalo. In 1878, Garrett shot and killed a fellow hunter who charged at Garrett with a hatchet over a disagreement over buffalo hides. Upon dying, the hunter brought Garrett to tears upon asking him to forgive him.
    Garrett moved to New Mexico and briefly found work as a cowpuncher before quitting to open his own saloon. A tall man, he was referred to by locals as "Juan Largo" or "Long John." In 1879, Garrett married Juanita Gutierrez, who died within a year. In 1880, he married Gutierrez's sister, Apolonaria. The couple had nine children.

Portrait of Pat Garrett from The Story of the Outlaws[2]

Lincoln County War

On November 7, 1880, the sheriff of Lincoln County, New Mexico, George Kimbell, resigned with two months left in his term. As Kimbell's successor, the county appointed Garrett, a member of the Republican Party who ran as a Democrat and a gunman of some reputation who had promised to restore law and order. Garrett was charged with tracking down and arresting a friend from his saloon keeping days, Henry McCarty, a jail escapee and Lincoln County War participant who often went by the aliases Henry Antrim and William Harrison Bonney, but is better known as "Billy the Kid". McCarty was an alleged murderer who had participated in the Lincoln County War. He was said to have killed twenty-one men, one for every year of his life, but the actual total was probably closer to nine. New Mexico Governor Lew Wallace had personally put a $500 reward on McCarty's capture.
    During a December 19 shootout, Garrett killed Tom O'Folliard, a member of McCarty's gang. A few nights later, the sheriff's posse killed Charlie Bowdre, captured The Kid and his companions, and transported the captives to Mesilla, New Mexico, for trial. Though he was convicted, The Kid managed to escape from jail on April 18, 1881, after killing his guards J. W. Bell and Bob Olinger.
    On July 14, 1881, Garrett visited Fort Sumner to question a friend of The Kid's about the whereabouts of the outlaw. He learned that The Kid was staying with a mutual friend, Pedro Maxwell (son of land baron Lucien Maxwell). Around midnight, Garrett went to Maxwell's house. The Kid was asleep in another part of the house but woke up hungry in the middle of the night and entered the kitchen where Garrett was standing in the shadows. The Kid did not recognize the man standing in dark. "Quien es (Who is it)? Quien es?" The Kid asked repeatedly. Garrett replied by shooting at The Kid twice, the first shot hitting him in the heart, and the second one did not hit him. (Some historians have questioned Garrett's account of the shooting, alleging the incident happened differently. They claim that Garrett went into Paulita Maxwell's room and tied her up. The Kid walked into her room, and Garrett ambushed him with a single blast from his Sharps rifle.)
    There has been much dispute over the details of the Kid's death that night. The way Garrett allegedly killed McCarty without warning eventually sullied the lawman's reputation. Garrett claimed that Billy the Kid had entered the room armed with a pistol, but no gun was found on his body. Other accounts claim he entered carrying a kitchen knife. There is no hard evidence to support this; however, if he did so it is likely he intended to cut some food for himself, since he had no idea anyone was waiting for him. Regardless of how he died, Billy was a wanted criminal, and so Sheriff Garrett chose not to give him a chance to surrender.
    Still, at the time the shooting solidified Garrett's fame as a lawman and gunman, and led to numerous appointments to law enforcement positions, as well as requests that he pursue outlaws in other parts of New Mexico.

After the Lincoln County War

His law enforcement career never achieved any great success following the Lincoln County War, and he mostly used that single era in his life as his stepping-stone to higher positions. After finishing out his term as sheriff, Garrett became a rancher and released a book ghostwritten by his friend Ash Upson in 1882 about his experiences with McCarty. However, he lost the next election for Lincoln County sheriff and was never paid the $500 reward for McCarty's capture, since he had allegedly killed him. In 1884, he lost an election for the New Mexico State Senate. Later that year, he left New Mexico and helped found and captain a company of Texas Rangers.
    He returned to New Mexico briefly in 1885. In October 1889, Garrett ran for Chaves County, New Mexico, sheriff but lost. By this time, his rough disposition was beginning to wear thin with much of the populace, and rumors of his less than admirable killing of Billy The Kid were beginning to affect his popularity. Garrett left New Mexico in 1891 for Uvalde, Texas. He returned to New Mexico in 1896 to investigate the disappearance of Albert Jennings Fountain and Fountain's young son Henry.

• was really disappointed with my dvd of "chisum"
    bought it from "hmv" but the sound quality was really bad and distorted - it meant having to concentrate more to pick up the story line - what made it worse was that all the background info that you can go onto came out fine - was just the film that wasn t right

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• was really disappointed with my dvd of "chisum"
    bought it from "hmv" but the sound quality was really bad and distorted - it meant having to concentrate more to pick up the story line - what made it worse was that all the background info that you can go onto came out fine - was just the film that wasn t right

Sounds like a faulty copy. Take it back and get another one hopefully that will help.

Mike

• I have been away for a while, and just wanted to say hi!
    Speaking of Chisum, I love the picture of John Wayne, on his horse on the hill, looking into the distance. This is how I always will remember the Great John Wayne! Does anybody know if there is a poster or picture out there of him in that manor?

That image is on #2 of both the 8x10 and 11x14 lobby cards for the movie. Occasionally you can find them on Ebay. The image was also on the cast mug John Wayne gave away for this film. One of my favorite scenes too!

• I find I like Chisum better now than I did at the time of its release. Its a great Wayne movie!
    Best bit is when Hank Worden does a great horse leap over the barricade 'cos he's gotta warn the stage!
    Hank did the stunt himself too. I'm suprised there isn't a thread about him since he appeared in almost all of the Duke's westerns not just the Fords.

• I have been away for a while, and just wanted to say hi!
    Speaking of Chisum, I love the picture of John Wayne, on his horse on the hill, looking into the distance. This is how I always will remember the Great John Wayne! Does anybody know if there is a poster or picture out there of him in that manor?

That image is on #2 of both the 8x10 and 11x14 lobby cards for the movie. Occasionally you can find them on Ebay. The image was also on the cast mug John Wayne gave away for this film. One of my favorite scenes too!

JP, here are some screen prints for you.

http://i241.photobucket.com/al…/John%20Wayne/Chisum5.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/al…/John%20Wayne/Chisum4.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/al…/John%20Wayne/Chisum3.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/al…/John%20Wayne/Chisum1.jpg

• I like the film alot more now than when I first saw it. the fault was that I didn't know it was a "Billy the Kid" plot. I expected a new story with Duke. Once I'd grown to accept the story line, I appreciated the film much more.
    I liked the action, especially the final confrontation between Duke & Tucker (sure "Bad Chuck" did alot of the fight, but it was still a nice old-fashioned battle).

• Just watched this again last night. As everyone knows, Duke tried to help out friends whenever possible, with roles in his films. John Agar was one who Duke used whenever he was available. Another was stuntman Bob Morgan-who can be seen as the bartender when Duke & Ben Johnson go to the saloon before the horse thieves confrontaion. I believe he also has a small role in Rio Lobo, again as a bartender (alongside Don 'Red" barry), when Duke meets up with Rivero & Mitchum in the saloon tent. As most of you know, Morgan was badly injured doing a stunt on How The West Was Won, that limited his ability to do stuntwork from that point on.

Edited once, last by alamo221 ().

• I was in Paris, Texas today, and I passed a little park, where I saw what looked like a monument of some sort (It was hidden by the trees). I saw the Texas historical marker on it and had to stop and read it... It turned out to be the grave of John S. Chisum!

I knew he was buried somewhere in Paris, but until today didn't know exactly where.

I didn't snap any pictures of it (it was raining and I didn't stay that long!), but I found this sight on line that has some pictures as well as the text on the historical marker. I thought it might be interesting for the fans of the movie "Chisum"

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM5K00

• Another fine, effortless-looking Wayne film. The only cringe inducing moment is someone braying the song "Sally". I wish that could be removed from the soundtrack.
    Has anyone else commented on the fact that this is a minor reunion of Sands of Iwo Jima with Duke, Forrest Tucker, John Agar and Richard Jaeckel?

We deal in lead, friend.

• I was impressed Forrest Tucker did all the fighting himself, despite being older and heavier than he was in Sands of Iwo Jima. My only real regret about this fine film was that the actor playing Billy the Kid was quite weak. You couldn't ever imagine he was a ruthless killer at all.

• Well, Jim Burke doubled him during part of the fight and the fall, but Tucker DID do the bulk of it himself. It was kinda strange that Tucker's character was able to fire a shotgun at point blank range at Chisum (as he came thru the window) and STILL missed him. Then Chisum jumps him and they crash into a chair that smashes to pieces, but mysteriously is back together a second later for Chisum to fall onto.

• Well, Jim Burke doubled him during part of the fight and the fall, but Tucker DID do the bulk of it himself. It was kinda strange that Tucker's character was able to fire a shotgun at point blank range at Chisum (as he came thru the window) and STILL missed him. Then Chisum jumps him and they crash into a chair that smashes to pieces, but mysteriously is back together a second later for Chisum to fall onto.

Hey, you have to watch those Hollywood chairs. They're sneaky.

• It's kinda funny about "bad" Chuck Roberson as JW's double in this film and the final chase scene with Maureen in McLintock. As she runs out of the store with JW close behind, she turns over a huge stack of cans, and you can clearly see it's Chuck - not Duke that is in the shot, so you have wonder if McLaglen (who directed both films) left too much up to his film editor, or if he just missed the obvious mistake himself for whatever reason. I prefer to think someone in continuity just goofed...in both movies!