The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.
       

    There are 146 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

    • Originally posted by may2@Jan 11 2006, 03:19 AM


      As it was Katie must have been fertile for 35 years to have sons with such a large age span.


      [snapback]25199[/snapback]




      My mom comes from a large family and her oldest brother is now 83yrs old while her youngest brother will turn 54 next month.That is enough of an age difference to me.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Originally posted by ethanedwards@Oct 19 2006, 04:18 AM
      Hi sun526,

      I know what you mean, as these days,
      there is so much information available!!
      I include as much info, as I can,
      so there is no need, to go on the internet looking for it.

      Bills, work on Katie Elder,
      is very interesting, hope you enjoyed it.

      Thanks, for your support of the Movie Forum
      and your interesting replies,
      [snapback]36132[/snapback]


      Yes indeed! I do appreciate the info. I may not post a lot, but I do read a bunch, and most everytime I learn something new ;) .
    • Originally posted by Moonshine_Sally@Oct 19 2006, 12:55 PM
      My mom comes from a large family and her oldest brother is now 83yrs old while her youngest brother will turn 54 next month.That is enough of an age difference to me.
      [snapback]36138[/snapback]


      Ya know, it occured to me, the one thing I think we fogot to mention when talking about the age span in the Elder brothers characters and the fact that Katie would had to have been fertile for 30 some odd years, is the fact that back in the 1700's, 1800's, and up into the 1900's that is wasn't uncommon for girls to wed as early as 12 yrs. old (some by arranged marriages) and have their first child by the time they were 13 or 14 yrs. old and would continue to have children into their early 40's, especially in rural areas, as well as in some metropolitan areas.
    • Originally posted by sun526@Oct 19 2006, 08:49 PM
      Ya know, it occured to me, the one thing I think we fogot to mention when talking about the age span in the Elder brothers characters and the fact that Katie would had to have been fertile for 30 some odd years, is the fact that back in the 1700's, 1800's, and up into the 1900's that is wasn't uncommon for girls to wed as early as 12 yrs. old (some by arranged marriages) and have their first child by the time they were 13 or 14 yrs. old and would continue to have children into their early 40's, especially in rural areas, as well as in some metropolitan areas.
      [snapback]36145[/snapback]




      Not to mention that many children(and mothers)died during childbirth.It is never said that Katie Elder only gave birth to her 4 boys.For all we know she might have had more children and they might have died at an earlie age.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Re: The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)

      Moonshine_Sally wrote:

      Not to mention that many children(and mothers)died during childbirth.It is never said that Katie Elder only gave birth to her 4 boys.For all we know she might have had more children and they might have died at an earlie age.

      Here's another slant - it never says she gave birth to all of her boys. As you so rightly point out, many mothers died in childbirth, leaving motherless children. Katie might have been step-mother to one or more of the older brothers, which might also explain the age gap.

      Mrs. C :angel1:
    • Re: The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)

      I just watched this last night and I enjoyed it more than I remembered, the score was beautiful and I must give Bernstein his due he is indeed a damn good composer. The cinematography was just beautiful, and with the exception of Hopper I enjoyed everyones performance.

      John Wayne's intro in this movie is my all time favorite intro in any of his movies. He looked amazingly good and appeared to be in the best health of his life here, after reading about events leading up to this it makes it even more significant in his career to me.

      The ending however left me very unsatisfied, I wanted to Duke to beat the hell out of Hastings and instead all he did was blow him up.... that was too good of a way for Hastings to die.

      Up next for my viewing pleasure Liberty Valance.
    • Re: The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)

      Here are a couple of posters, the second one being a "combo" poster for two movies (a 1975 reissue). I have not ever seen one like that, and in this particular case, I've not heard of the second movie. But it is pretty interesting.

      Sons of Katie Elder-poster.jpg

      Sons of Katie Elder-1975 reissue-combo poster.jpg
    • Re: The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)

      good film the sons of katie elder,i enjoy watching duke + dean martin in it and its not as bad as some westerns i've seen
      " I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit
    • Re: The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)

      ShortGrub wrote:

      I watched the Sons of Katie Elder again.

      Pilar states in her book you can hear Ethan's scream in it when Duke hits the water. I can't hear it, but I haven't used headphones yet either. Have any of you heard the scream?

      I have also heard that story, and tried hard to hear it myself, even turning the volume up real loud, and I have never heard it. I wonder if somehow they were able to remove that sound when the movie was transferred to VHS and now to DVD.

      Like ShortGrub asked, is there anyone here who has heard it?

      Chester :newyear: