The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 147 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)

Just love that Movie. I always enjoyed that movie. The four sons John Wayne, Dean Martin, Michael Anderson Jr. (Bud Elder) and Earl Holliman (Matt Elder) aren't really looking like four brothers but there was a good chemistry between the four actors. Unfortunately Dino hasn't made more movies with Duke. This time Dean Martin didn't steal the Show. The second half of The Sons of Katie Elder reminded me on Rio Bravo. Good Movie, great Western and always fun to watch.:teeth_smile:

I'm also curious about the scream. I'll watch it soon again and I if I hear the scream I'll post it.
      "You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

I've watched this film loads of times and i've never heard the scream JohnChisum but i'll watch it again and pay closer attention to see if i can hear anything
      " I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man " True Grit

I've watched this film loads of times and i've never heard the scream JohnChisum but i'll watch it again and pay closer attention to see if i can hear anything

According to IMDB the scream can be heard.
      [imdb] When John Wayne is dragged into the river, you can hear a child calling out, "Dad!". This was his three-year-old son Ethan Wayne, who was watching off camera and knew how ill his father was.

[/imdb]
      Cannot remember If I ever heard a scream. Maybe they really cut it out of the DVD releases.

Oh yes the music score is great. There is a great theme when John Wayne is walking to get the villain before the last shootout. :hyper:
      "You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

The post was edited 1 time, last by JohnChisum ().

ShortGrub wrote:

I watched the Sons of Katie Elder again.

Pilar states in her book you can hear Ethan's scream in it when Duke hits the water. I can't hear it, but I haven't used headphones yet either. Have any of you heard the scream?

chester7777 wrote:

I have also heard that story, and tried hard to hear it myself, even turning the volume up real loud, and I have never heard it. I wonder if somehow they were able to remove that sound when the movie was transferred to VHS and now to DVD.

JohnChisum wrote:

I'm also curious about the scream. I'll watch it soon again and I if I hear the scream I'll post it.

luckynedpepper wrote:

JohnChisum wrote:

According to IMDB the scream can be heard.
      When John Wayne is dragged into the river, you can hear a child calling out, "Dad!". This was his three-year-old son Ethan Wayne, who was watching off camera and knew how ill his father was.

Cannot remember If I ever heard a scream. Maybe they really cut it out of the DVD releases.

OK, we watched this movie last night, and we HEARD him yell out "Dad" or maybe even "Daddy"! After the brothers drag Duke in, Ethan doesn't yell out right away, it's when he [Duke] starts to roll onto his front that you can hear it. We played it back about three times, and you really can hear it, IF you are listening for it.

Let us know if YOU hear it now . . .

Chester :newyear:

I guess this should increase Ethan's movies that he was in with his Dad up to three.

Big Jake (1971) .... Little Jake McCandles
      Rio Lobo (1970) (uncredited)
      The Sons of Katie Elder (1965) (uncredited voice) :wink_smile:

Chester :newyear:

The post was edited 1 time, last by chester7777 ().

I watched this movie last night with some friends and I had truly forgot how good it is.

One thing regarding this movie that has puzzled me is did the townsfolk including Billy the sheriff know who killed Bass Elder? I get the feeling they did but didn't do anything for fear of retaliation from Hastings. What are your thoughts on this?

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

I think that they knew, esp the sherif had ideas and the mortician seemed like he knew something but i havent watched it in awhile so I cant exactly pin point things to prove this. Just a feeling i had.

Great film... Haven't seen it in about a year. Time to pull out the DVD.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

When you watch it, check the dates in the family bible. If you look carefully you see Katie got married in 1850 and died in 1865. So it looks like John Elder was supposed to be around 44-45 and Bud Elder was 18. 26 or 27 years between them which is just about possible

dee

.. ..