Back To Bataan (1945)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 41 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: Back To Bataan (1945)

IMO a good War Movie. I don't know many war movies about the phillipine resistance during WW 2 so it's good that people learn something about it too. IMO it's a solid movie with good directing and good acting of John Wayne and Anthony Quinn. Of course John Wayne looks a bit angry during the whole movie. It's war, he is in the jungle and not on a picnic. :thumbs_up:
      "You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

JohnChisum
      Re: Back To Bataan (1945)
      IMO a good War Movie. I don't know many war movies about the phillipine resistance during WW 2 so it's good that people learn something about it too. IMO it's a solid movie with good directing and good acting of John Wayne and Anthony Quinn. Of course John Wayne looks a bit angry during the whole movie. It's war, he is in the jungle and not on a picnic

arthurarnell wrote:

Hi

It is worth while studying the facts surrounding the making of the film. From director Edward Dmytryk down to the screenwriter Ben Barzman were thought to be reponsible for making life as difficult as possible for John Wayne. Their treatment of the US Colonel who was acting as the technical advisor convinced John Wayne that he was in the middle of a communist plot.

it was also Barzman who concieved the idea of Wayne and Quinn being immersed in freezing water with boulder placed on their body breathing through straws. it took a couple of takes which resulted in Wayne and Quinn freezing.

For an insight in the making of the film one should read The Trail Beyond Volume IV December 2002 edited by Tim Lilley. Many of John Wayne biographies give an account of the making of the film.

Regards

Arthur

It's worth noting Arthur's post.
      It is well known that Duke didn't like Dmytryk's political stance,
      and this resulted in Duke being put 'through the mill'
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

I know Duke did better war movies, like "The Longest Day" and "Sands of Iwo Jima". But "Back to Bataan" is my personal favorite of his WWII movies. It was interesting how the film featured actual participants of the battle, and how the screen writers had to make constant updates based on news from the war front, because the actual battle was going on during the writing. Of course Duke is in top form in this one.

One of the good things about Back to Bataan is that it shows the Phillippines Resistance. Don't know many movies about them. The only I've in my mind is The great Raid with James Franco. In fact the Resistance were very strong and occupied some regions during the war. The character of Anthony Quinn was fictional.

Maybe it's not the best war movie but it's more entertaining than many others.
      "You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

JohnChisum wrote:

One of the good things about Back to Bataan is that it shows the Phillippines Resistance. Don't know many movies about them. The only I've in my mind is The great Raid with James Franco. In fact the Resistance were very strong and occupied some regions during the war. The character of Anthony Quinn was fictional.

Maybe it's not the best war movie but it's more entertaining than many others.

What about American Guerilla In The Phillipines with Tyrone Power. Pretty darn good flick itself.

It's a shame that folks can't use good sense when making statements about JW movies they don't care for. BTB wasn't a bad movie at all, and while the script might seem corny by today's standards, it was "swell" in 1945! My dad, a WWII Navy veteran (USS Jerauld - APA 174) said that was the language of the day, and folks his age agree. The direction was NOT John Ford, but it wasn't Mac Sennett, either. I suppose it's just a matter of taste, but now I'm stating MY opinion! Thanks for reading!!

This is one of my favorite Duke films as well. I thought it was a good story and also taught me about propaganda in WW2 (as in the constant brainwashing of the Phillipine people to lay down their guns)
      You need films like this to keep history alive and I thought JW was well cast in it. I ve watched it 4 times now and enjoyed it each time
      "Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke