New Harris Poll...Duke's Moving Up!

There are 34 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,398 times. The latest Post () was by DukePilgrim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• On the way homw from work this morning, I heard on the radio that this year's Harris Poll came out and in the favorite actor poll, John Wayne was tied for third with Harrison Ford. He moved up from seventh place last year. Not bad for a man who hasn't been with us for 27 years. Here's the chart showing the places.

TABLE 1
    FAVORITE MOVIE STAR
    "Who is your favorite movie star?"
    Unprompted responses
    Base: All adults

Tom Hanks 1

Johnny Depp 2

John Wayne t-3

Harrison Ford t-3

Julia Roberts 5

Clint Eastwood 6

Mel Gibson 7

George Clooney 8

Sean Connery 9

Sandra Bullock 10

Long live The Duke!!! :D

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi

I think its probably about right though, the test i use is in twenty-five years will Tom Hanks or Johnny Depp still be around or as popular as they are now. Before I would have argued aginst Johnny Depp but his last couple of pictures that I saw weren't bad.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Not to sound negative in my remark but, the only thing I saw wrong with the top ten list was that george cLOONEY was on it.

I agree though, The Duke is still tops and I doubt that Tom Hanks and Johnny Depp will be as popular for that length of time -- though I do like both of them.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I agree entirely, but I just can't see these two sustaining it,
    maybe, they'll prove us wrong

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Interesting that this poll has stars out with seven of the ten not having a film out in 2005. I guess it shows that the quality of movies were pretty bad this past year. And the top five didn't release a movie that year.

Good to see Duke move up. Not saying that he's not good but saying that the top ten are stronger than the actors of today.

Looking at The Harris Poll, you will see that Duke, Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson are the only ones who have been in the top 10 since 1994.

Here is some other interesting statics:

I'm from the south and I'm not sure where Brad Pitt came from.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I'm not sure about many on the top ten list, but then I don't follow the latest in Hollywood Cinema. It is truly amazing that a man who passed away nearly 27 years ago ranks tied for third place, given the short term memory of so many. I for one am glad he's there, his many fans will continue to enjoy his films and honor the man as a film screen legend and man of his word.

Roger.

• I was worried about the release of this years Harris poll as I thought that is would represent the end of Dukes tenure in it following his dramatic plunge last year and many commentators confirmed my fears. Thankfully this was not the case and Duke is now stronger than ever, the two men above him wont last long, I have seen no Johnny Depp movies although I do like Hanks however he is defently no John Wayne.

I think factors such as global terrorism have a lot to do with John Wayne being so popular, people are searching for heroes whom would totally oppose this and Duke fits this category to a T. I believe after September the 11th, car bumper stickers stating 'Where are you John Wayne America needs you' soared dramatically, that for me says everything.

Honest, strong, talented, commited and passionate, just a few reasons why John Wayne is STATISTICALLY the most popular actor of all time.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Not a huge fan of Johnny Depp, even though his performance in Pirates of the Carribean was great fun. He has a fascination with ripping on the US, and not in a contructive way. Tom Hanks I will still hold out total judgement on him as I enjoy allot of his films.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I think Duke's memory will be ageless. Long after some of these people on this list have been forgotten, Duke will still be there. His movies have a special appeal and his screen presence is very strong.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Robbie@Jan 22 2006, 10:58 AM
    Honest, strong, talented, commited and passionate, just a few reasons why John Wayne is STATISTICALLY the most popular actor of all time.

[snapback]25654[/snapback]

Truer words were never spoken!

Another reason I think John Wayne maintains popularity is that his movies are readily available to be watched on many cable channels, and many folks have an opportunity to see them, that may not have seen them before. All of a sudden, when they realize how good the Duke is, they say, "Wow! Where has he been all my life?" and they watch more and more, and they start buying them, especially on DVD (are they even available on VHS anymore, outside of the used market??).

Then they get on the computer looking for other Duke fans, and hopefully they end up here :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Chester :newyear:

• Here another possibility. There was as I count, 10 DVD's released in 2005. The movies released were The Sea Chase, :jump:Blood Alley, ^^Tall in the Saddle, :o The Train Robbers, :PMcQ, :lol: The High & The Mighty, :wacko:Island in the Sky, <_< McLintock, :uhuh:Hondo, & :stunned:3 Godfathers.

That's incredible even for John Wayne. I can't wait to see what comes out this year.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Yep, 2005 was a great year for The Duke's movies being released. I hope we get as lucky this year and finally see Fort Apache, Allegheny Uprising and others come to DvD.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Jan 25 2006, 02:50 PM
    Yep, 2005 was a great year for The Duke's movies being released. I hope we get as lucky this year and finally see Fort Apache, Allegheny Uprising and others come to DvD.

[snapback]25956[/snapback]

Do you think we will get 10 DVD Duke releases in 2006, Carl? If yes, what would they be out of curosity?

We are getting off topic, but what the hey!

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

• I was so happy when I saw this poll. There is hope for this country yet.

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

• Just to update this thread, it seems our beloved Duke is still in the top ten, remaining in #3 for the second year in a row, and in the top ten for the past 12 years (maybe more, but that's as much as the chart showed).

The only others who have that distinction are Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson

Check out these two links -

http://www.harrisinteractive.c…is_poll/index.asp?PID=720

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1580564,00.html

Not too bad for a dead guy, coming up on the 100th anniversary of his birth!

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester

Interesting results

I can see why Harrison Ford wants to make Indy 4!!

I'm a bit surprised at Denzil Washington at 1 . Whilst he is a good actor I wouldnt have thought he had that much of a following.

Tom Hanks is fairly reliable as is Mel Gibson. In regards to Clint I think it is more memory than acting as I reckon apart from odd cameo he will do only directing now.

Johnny Depp is boosted by Pirates plus anything Tim Burton does.

Expect Leonardo Di Caprio to feature next year as he seems to want to act again whether he stays there is another matter.

Anyway good to see "Our Man" there considering that his popularity is ALL due to fans and no active publicity from Wayne Enterprises or Batjac it is a hell of an achievement.

Mike

• I can see why Duke, and Clint are there, but when you
    see who is number one, it does make a mockery
    of these so called 'Polls'

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith

I wouldnt think it would be about sales of DVD's etc.

More likely a loaded question like who do you respect as actor etc polled outside a cinema showing a Denzil Washigton movie LOL

Or am I being cynical?

Mike