New Harris Poll...Duke's Moving Up!

There are 34 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,412 times. The latest Post () was by DukePilgrim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Denzel has made some stinkers lately. Not that he isn't a good actor, I just think it doesn't make sense he is number 1. Heck, I am not a huge Depp fan but I can see him being number 1 just because of the Pirate movies.

Great the fans of Duke and wait till we get closer to his 100 b-day. I bet there will be some kind of announcement about it and it may bolster his standings next year.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I think Denzel is a terrific actor. Man on Fire is my favorite from him. If you haven't had a chance to see it, you're missing out. I heard it said once, and it actually grew with me that he would make a good James Bond. However, all in all, I am really glad that Duke is still in the publics consience. Good thing all the way around.
    Bo

• I think Denzil is a good actor who has demonstrated over a long run in period that he can carry a number of roles and recently has been given bigger starring roles. I am just surprised he has that much of a following to push him up the list so much.

Mike

• Who is Denzil Washington? I am not joking. I have never heard of him before reading it here. I had heard of Gibson, Harrison Ford, Eastwood, etc., but I couldn't pick out Denzil Washington in a police lineup.

GSP

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• Hello GSP.
    Denzel Washington is an excellent actor who won a Best Actor Oscar in 2001 for his portrayal of a dirty cop in the movie Training Day (which I think he richly deserved) with Ethan Hawke. Another one of his memorable rolls was as a slave fighting on the Union side in the movie Glory with Matthew Broderick, which he won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. I also enjoyed him in the movie The Pelican Brief with Julia Roberts. He hasn't really made any great movies of late, so I am with the group in wondering what put him number 1 on the list all of the sudden. Late recognition by his fans? Who knows. I do list him as one of the better actors around these days. I hope this helped in jogging your memory.:smile:

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I havent seen any of Denzel Washingtons movies, I checked out the link you provided Mrc Chester and he hasnt really done much of note film wise, so I like others on this site would question his number one status.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I have seen the movie "Glory" but guess I never read the credits. I just remember that the guy that played Ferris Bueller was the leading the Union troops.

GSP

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• Here's his film history to date

Th eoonly other biggie was Crimson Tide with Gene Hackman on the nuclear sub. As I say a good actor but not what I would consider a guy with a great fan following.

Mike

American Gangster (2007) (post-production) .... Frank Lucas

Deja Vu (2006) .... Doug Carlin
    ... aka Feline (Philippines: English title)
    Inside Man (2006) .... Detective Keith Frazier
    The Manchurian Candidate (2004) .... Ben Marco
    Man on Fire (2004) .... Creasy
    Out of Time (2003/I) .... Matthias Lee Whitlock
    Antwone Fisher (2002) .... Dr. Jerome Davenport
    John Q (2002) .... John Quincy Archibald
    ... aka John Q. (USA: poster title)
    Training Day (2001) .... Alonzo
    Remember the Titans (2000) .... Coach Herman Boone

The Hurricane (1999) .... Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter
    The Bone Collector (1999) .... Lincoln Rhyme
    The Siege (1998/I) .... Anthony 'Hub' Hubbard
    He Got Game (1998) .... Jake Shuttlesworth
    Fallen (1998) .... Det. John Hobbes
    Mother Goose: A Rappin' and Rhymin' Special (1997) (TV) (voice) .... Humpty Dumpty/The Crooked Man
    The Preacher's Wife (1996) .... Dudley
    Courage Under Fire (1996) .... Lt. Colonel Nathaniel Serling
    Devil in a Blue Dress (1995) .... Easy Rawlins
    Virtuosity (1995) .... Lt. Parker Barnes
    Crimson Tide (1995) .... Lt. Commander Ron Hunter
    "Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child" (1995) TV Series .... Humpty Dumpty (unknown episodes)
    Philadelphia (1993) .... Joe Miller
    The Pelican Brief (1993) .... Gray Grantham
    Much Ado About Nothing (1993) .... Don Pedro of Aragon
    Malcolm X (1992) .... Malcolm X
    ... aka X (USA: poster title)
    Jammin': Jelly Roll Morton on Broadway (1992) (TV) .... Narrator
    Ricochet (1991) .... Nick Styles
    Mississippi Masala (1991) .... Demetrius Williams
    Mo' Better Blues (1990) .... Bleek Gilliam
    Heart Condition (1990) .... Napoleon Stone

Glory (1989) .... Pvt. Trip
    The Mighty Quinn (1989) .... Xavier Quinn
    For Queen and Country (1988) .... Reuben James
    "St. Elsewhere" .... Dr. Philip Chandler (6 episodes, 1982-1988)
    - Split Decision (1988) TV Episode .... Dr. Philip Chandler
    - Santa Claus Is Dead (1985) TV Episode .... Dr. Philip Chandler
    - All About Eve (1983) TV Episode .... Dr. Philip Chandler
    - Craig in Love (1983) TV Episode .... Dr. Philip Chandler
    - Monday, Tuesday, Sven's Day (1983) TV Episode .... Dr. Philip Chandler
    (1 more)
    Cry Freedom (1987) .... Steve Biko
    Baka: The People of the Rainforest (1987) (TV) .... Narrator
    Power (1986) .... Arnold Billing
    The George McKenna Story (1986) (TV) .... George McKenna
    ... aka Hard Lessons (USA: video title)
    A Soldier's Story (1984) .... Pfc. Peterson
    License to Kill (1984) (TV) .... Martin Sawyer
    Carbon Copy (1981) .... Roger Porter

Flesh & Blood (1979) (TV) .... Kirk
    Coriolanus (1979) .... Aedile/Roman Citizen/Volscian Citizen/Roman Soldier/Volscian Soldier
    Wilma (1977) (TV) .... Robert Eldridge, age 18

• Hi Jim

From that list from 1993-2000 the only really active ones are Tom Hanks,Mel Gibson and Harrison Ford.

Clint Eastwood has effectively moved to directing.

Sean Connery has claimed he is retired.

Tom Cruise although I am not fussed on him has to redeem himself big time if at all possible.

Julia Roberts !!!***!*! How and What did she do.

Give me Michelle Pffieffer any time!!

So in conclusion there is room at the top!

Mike

• Hi Keith

I am not far behind Ive seen Glory but couldnt tell you were he is.
    Pelican Brief is with Julia Roberts. Crimson Tide Gene Hackman plays a mad as a hatter Captain and Denzil is the sane one.

The Siege I saw recently and I started Malcolm X and got bored.

I think he is Martha Washington cousin fifteen times removed:yeaahh:

Mike