Cahill: United States Marshal (1973)

There are 98 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 94,968 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I think that Cahill U.S. Marshal (Andrew V. McLaglen, 1973) is a bit underrated. Many film fans don't like the sort of Disney quality that comes with a story focused on children, but the moral dilemmas are engaging and the theme of generational fracture is relevant and vital, for that time and for all times. I'm sure that many troubled fathers and sons can relate to it. It may not be a truly significant movie, and the filmmaking is probably mediocre at best, but it's worth viewing, and George Kennedy makes for a memorably menacing villain.

Plus there's 3-4 fantastic scenes that are high quality—the opening scene for one and the guys sat round the camp fire when Cahil says he wants to put chains on the guy.... Great camera work with Duke and shotgun... The scene when the gang of riders is blocking his path and he says : "oh hell get out of my way "....

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Love the photo. Definitely one of my favourite movies . The actor who played Lightfoot was very good . In-fact a very good supporting cast in-depth ...

• For me Cahill illustrates how well John Wayne can hold up material that is otherwise western fare best intended for television. That's what much of this film felt like for me. Between the many scenes that look like they are shot artificially on stage (even outside environments) the overall feel of the movie almost takes on a kind of Bonanza quality to it. The treatment on the kids and villains are so tame, it's hard to fathom either party being involved in the events that got them there (Or for that matter how any of them are elusive to get away from the law much less Cahill). I also think the injection of 70's style songs are awkward in places because, to me, they don't really fit the material, much less that moment. Again, a quality one might see for a made-for-TV special during that period, but not a major motion picture with the Duke. That said, I love Wayne's performance. He ALWAYS delivered the depth of character that makes this material more interesting than it really would have been otherwise. The outfits are well tailored here and the Blu-ray picture on my disc is nicely cleaned up with sharpness and a crispness that compliments the look measurably. But I give this three stars on the sole weight of the Duke. He carried this film entirely by himself.

The opening scene is pure quality. As is the scene when they arrest the guys around the camp fire . Watched it too with the Andrew V Maglen comments which were very interesting ....dukes acting really good in this one ....

• I just watched this again tonight! I always thought that this is one of Duke's most underrated movies! I saw it for the first time on the big screen when I was a kid; at a drive in in Garland, Texas! At that young age, the story kept my interest! All these years later, I still get caught up in the story!

A modest budget with a good story is so much better than what we get today; extreme budget and no story!

By-the-way, the guy that played Duke's youngest son, Clay O'Brian [Cooper] is in the rodeo hall-of-fame, and as a team roper is still winning rodeos! He was also one of "The Cowboys".

• I just watched this again tonight! I always thought that this is one of Duke's most underrated movies! I saw it for the first time on the big screen when I was a kid; at a drive in in Garland, Texas! At that young age, the story kept my interest! All these years later, I still get caught up in the story!

A modest budget with a good story is so much better than what we get today; extreme budget and no story!

By-the-way, the guy that played Duke's youngest son, Clay O'Brian [Cooper] is in the rodeo hall-of-fame, and as a team roper is still winning rodeos! He was also one of "The Cowboys".

Leif Garrett auditioned for his role in "The Cowboys".

• I didn't know that little fact about Leif Garrett. That is a name I haven't heard in quite a long time.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "