Hatari (1962)

There are 283 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 352,253 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Good choice Keith, as you all know I have a soft spot for this one. It may be long, and some think lame, but the action and locations are stunning! I'll try and watch this one before the last day of the month!

Yep, quite a movie! The captures are absolutely incredible when watched frame by frame! And some parts make me just laugh right out load, like the goats getting loose, LOL! Once we get some participation, I will put up screen shots of the captures of the different animals.

Everyone, please post any Hatari pics, posters, whatever that you have!
    Thought you might like this one as much as I do, Peter. Sure hope Mark likes it this time! Keith TP

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Didn't see yours, sorry DukeFan. You are right......lots of fun in this movie. Just LOVED Red Buttons....guy can cut a rug, can't he? Let's keep the comments going all month. Here is a little something.....a teaser, LOL.

Yep, our Duke roping that zebra.......sitting on a chair fastened to the hood of the chase truck. Keith

• Well, that last little "teaser" pic, was Sean, (Duke), hard at work. This crew DID work incredibly hard at work as you will see, but they had fun at night also. Here is part of the crew:

Kurt on the left, (race car driver when not driving a "catch" vehicle for Sean, (Duke), Dallas, (Elsa Martinelli), playing the piano, a photographer for the zoo, Pockets....you will see why he is called that, (Red Buttons), drives the big chase truck...very funny in this movie, Sean, (Duke in the background), and
    Brandy, the girl whose father used to run the crew). Oops, Luis, he usually ropes the legs of the dangerous animals, (used to be a bull fighter). After a rough day's work of catching, they usually have a beer or drink, and play cards, dance, or just lay back.......go to bed early too, as they are up at the crack o' dawn! Keith

QUESTION: WHAT IS THE REPEATED PHRASE NEAR THE BEGINNING OF THE MOVIE? IT IS ALMOST LIKE "WHO'S ON FIRST" IF YOU REMEMBER THAT ROUTINE. ANYONE WHO GUESSES THE ANSWER TO TWO QUESTIONS FIRST WILL GET A SIGNED SKETCH. THERE WILL BE QUESTIONS THROUGHOUT THIS MONTH.
    THIS ONE PERTAINS TO AFTER THEY GET BACK FROM THE HOSPITAL THE FIRST DAY.

• What I have read in this months journal they never had a script for Hatari, the director told them the night before what he wanted for the next day and they just followed dukes lead. what gets me every time I watch it, is when Red Buttons [ Pockets ], when he is reading the letter that Dallas left, [Notice she doesn't write with an accent].

“We’re burnin’ daylight.”
    John Wayne

• Hi Rocklin, You are quite correct. The script apparently was presented all leather bound, with the author's name in large letters and Hatari in small, AFTER the movie was finished. Please correct me someone if I am mistaken. Also, it would be difficult to write a good one not knowing what the animals would do or even what animals would be encountered each day. So, they "winged it". And did it very well, if I might add. Thanks for your comment, and answer the question if you can. If you get two correct FIRST throughout the month, (and I will be posting lots of them), you will win a signed sketch by me. I will be posting some I am doing ahead so people will see what they may get.

LOL about the accent! Now THIS is the way to post. Just things here and there you see that others may want to react to. I believe you are the very first one to catch on. Keep it up, and you may very well get a sketch even if you DON'T get the question answers first.......just answer some of them. Keep an eye out........I will be posting SOMETHING every day to help get discussions going. Next will be the rest of the cast, so folks will know what to call everyone, :wink_smile:

I LOVE your quote from the Cowboys...one of my favorites. So, SADDLE UP, and let's give this GW a run for its money! Thanks, Keith
    Oh, have a particularly interesting sketch from your character's movie Tall in the SADDLE. It is involved though and will require more than two correct first answers, Hah!

Anyone know more about why the script was delayed...in fact never arrived?

• Well, here's one of Duke's films that will never be remade!
    Critics usually state that there is no plot - and they're right to a point - but I noticed when I watched it this morning that Hawks deals with two jinxes. One being Indian and the rhino and the other being Sean with women. Both are put to rest by the last scene, but the Indian-rhino jinx is the only one explicitly mentioned.
    Wayne is relaxed and a joy to watch. From his line reading of "Tough luck" early in the film you know that he's in fine form, literally. The weight he lost while filming "The Alamo" is still shed.
    You also know that you're in Howard Hawks' country with the male competition, professionals leery of amatures, overlapping dialogue and a performance of "Whiskey Leave Me Alone" which was a highlight in "The Big Sky".
    Some of the process shots haven't aged well and the music is horrible. Mancini's "Baby Elephant Walk" was catchy and made a mint, but the main title is non existent and he sounds a bugle charge every time they cut to the other two elephants.
    Nobody cares but me, but the actor who played Louis, Valentin de Vargas, manages to draw attention to himself in group shots. He probably learned that by watching Steve McQueen during "The Magnificent Seven". Val played Calvera's henchman, Cirillo, but is uncredited there.
    The studio played down the fact that one of the real life white hunters was killed in a jeep wreck and Elsa Martinelli's double was killed by a lion. What they also should have down played is the characters' smoking on the screen. It's incredible! It must have caused more damage than the atomic bomb tests on "The Conqueror"!
    So although not one of Duke's best, he is beyond criticism. The film is dated but fun and the international supporting cast is pretty capable. I just don't want my grand children to ask about those white things in everyone's mouth.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Well said!
    This is a harmless piece of romantic comedy fluff with some amazing action and stunning locations. Duke seems to be having a ball and his comedy delivery is spot on, far more than in some other of his comedy films which actually make me cringe as Duke is so bad!

It reminds me in part of the Hal Wallis vehicles produced for Elvis in the 60s, exotic locales and silly romances all wrapped up in glorious technicolor.

I didn't know about the tragedies which befell the production so hopefully during the month more nuggets of information will come to light, I love learning new things.

Not bad... I'm commenting on here and haven't watched the film yet!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Well, I believe some folks are getting the idea....easier this way, and I THINK it will be more fun. Even Dooley is posting, (waited until the last day for his OWN FILM last time, LOL)!.

My idea is to get this to be a discussion that lasts a month, and believe you me, there is plenty in this movie to do just that!.....why I chose it. I want to hand this thread back to its owners, Irish Duke and Dooley with folks already used to how much fun it can be. I wasn't too enthused about folks watching it and writing a comment, and....................nothing after that. Wonder if anyone else out there thinks this is a good idea? If not, I am beating my head against the "proverbial wall"!

What do YOU think Keith? We value your opinion, even if you do kind of "crush" our hopes sometimes, LOL!

Not commenting on much yet....waiting for others to; however, I have done my homework on this, so I WILL be interjecting things here and there.
    Thanks for commenting Gorch.....hope you will keep stopping by and reading the posts. You didn't make a guess on the question. Dooley didn't either, but then, he hasn't rewatched it for a while. Thing is, whoever guesses right FIRST WINS! Someone needs to win so I can put up another question.......could be a lot of sketches won here, LOL! Have some made up already.

Strange you do not like the music Gorch,,,,we normally like the same stuff, and Mancini's sound track was sold out more times than not. As for the Baby Elephant theme.....the trumpeting of the two left behind was what had me rolling on the floor....they were so cute.....maybe it is just a "gal" thing?

Any spots anyone else can find that was hilarious. I have a list of them!

Don't think of this as a Cowboy Duke movie, think of it where he and the rest of the crew had fun as those of us who like it do. However, he DID lasso the zebra. Actually two of them "went to school" to learn to lasso well. Won't give it all away though, LOL.

Well, Dooley, I believe, so far, you have extricated yourself from the "sweat box".....however, it can be opened easily any time, so, look in here and there and comment. I happen to know that your knowledge of this film is enough that you don't have to watch it now to comment. Good for you. However, to win a prize, you might have to, LOL! Once again:

QUESTION: WHAT IS THE REPEATED PHRASE NEAR THE BEGINNING OF THE MOVIE? IT IS ALMOST LIKE "WHO'S ON FIRST" IF YOU REMEMBER THAT ROUTINE. ANYONE WHO GUESSES THE ANSWER TO TWO QUESTIONS FIRST WILL GET A SIGNED SKETCH. THERE WILL BE QUESTIONS THROUGHOUT THIS MONTH. THIS ONE PERTAINS TO AFTER THEY GET BACK FROM THE HOSPITAL THE FIRST DAY. Can't ask another one until someone gets this one. Keith

• Oh, I forgot Bill....know how you are about your grandchildren. Afraid they will have to miss a lot of classics and fantastic movies and old TV shows. EVERYBODY smoked back then, (well seemed so many...most did).
    It is up to Grandpa to make them understand that it is not cool now and that a lot of the "stars" including DUKE HIMSELF died from smoking! Show them the YouTubes of his telling people not to smoke and of cancer.....you cannot keep them from watching or being around folks who smoke. Yes, NOW you can, but not later. So, use things like this to set the example for them. OK, so I never had children, but even I know that "insulation" is not the remedy, it is introduction to and knowledge of subject. You are the teacher and they are your ready and willing pupils. At THIS stage of your life, Grandpa is a hero and what he says is God's truth......won't always be like that I am afraid. Oh, they will still love you, but without a sound base......enough! See, learning to stop myself.....never too old to learn. YK

• I was surprised the soundtrack wasn't liked (Bill). In soundtrack circles it's a rare one tons of people want to get their hands on. In fact it's just been re mastered and released on a limited edition CD and has flown out of the door. I've bought a copy, haven't listened to it yet, lol! I'll comment on it when I've listened to it!

• Here is our dedicated thread for any information,

Hatari!

All our Movie Reviews include the locations,
    as sourced through the links on IMDb

However in some cases, one off locations for movies like Hatari!
    allow us to have a dedicated thread.

Duke's Movie Locations- Tanzania (Hatari!)

For more interesting information:-

Hatari Lodge-Web Site
    Hatari Lodge- Zanzibar Magic

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi, P.,
    Take it to work and listen to it in the car. Might be the only chance you get until you hire your new person and train them to take some of the load off of you. Thanks for this useful bit of info. As well versed in sound tracks as Bill is, I really was surprised he didn't like this Mancini one. It has been said that, not only did he have the one for the baby elephants but had a different one for each of the animals....have to rewatch to confirm that. Also, didn't know it had been remastered and re-released and sold out once again. Thanks again Peter......wow two comments in two days. Think you are no longer in danger of the sweat box....I told Ward to have his guys weld it shut after they took the other unfortunate devil out! You DO remember that movie I introduced you too, don't you, :wink_smile:! KP

• Well guys, Mancini's score didn't do much for me. Granted, The Baby Elephant theme was catchy, but I can't recall any other music helping any other scene. I saw the movie yesterday and can't recall one note from the main title music.
    Since my amiga and amigo Hawk and Dooley are surprised at my opinion, maybe I'll watch it again specifically to spot the music. You two and I usually agree about most things.
    I recall that "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" won oscars for best song, "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head", and best soundtrack. I think the voters confused the two categories or lumped them together because the rest of that score was not that great but the song was a huge commercial hit. I think that happened here too.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Interesting thread. Thanks for the invitation, Keith.

For those of you concerned about your young relatives being exposed to smoking and worried they might find it cool, here's my experience and how I used this and Mad Men as an educational tool: I point out to my son how ubiquitous the smoking is and that John Wayne was diagnosed with lung cancer the next year after this film was shot. In addition I make the point that he lost a lung and that he quit smoking and he came out against cigarettes and smoking for the rest of his life.

This is a teaching tool. The fact that the tobacco companies all knew about the risks of smoking and lied about them to us all is key to mention now.

My sister was worried that my nephews would smoke because their father does. When we went on car trips up I95, I made certain to point out the tobacco to them. I called it 'fields of death.' Kids are smart. Show them what it says on the side of cigarettes today. They know better now. Both our parents died from cigarette-induced cancer, and they know about that. Tell them about the good friends you've lost. They'll listen. Both my nephews are over 6'3" now and neither one smokes. One of them is 6'7" and a bodybuilder. He makes Arnold Schwarzenegger look like a short, skinny wuss. :wink_smile: Ain't no smoking for him.

So, as John Wayne used to say, "When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." I see tobacco as trouble and I'm always ready to face it down, but that's how I deal with it. YMMV.

We're burning moonlight.

• The music for Hatari does have a score for most scenes one is called Big Bwana next one Just for Tonight is the piece of music you hear just before Dallas hears from Sean that they voted her to stay. And Fathers Feathers thats the one when the ostriches escape as well as the Hatari theme I have had them about three years now downloaded them.

• The music for Hatari does have a score for most scenes one is called Big Bwana next one Just for Tonight is the piece of music you hear just before Dallas hears from Sean that they voted her to stay. And Fathers Feathers thats the one when the ostriches escape as well as the Hatari theme I have had them about three years now downloaded them.

Thanks Rocklin, I just posted about the Just for Tonight song. No answer to the question. It is a really easy one, LOL....why I chose it for the first one. Didn't realize those other names. Going to try to find the score on YouTube. Sure enjoy the music while watching the movie though. Cya, Keith

• Here's the blurb from the Intrada website re the Hatari CD, plus track listing.

Special Collection Volume 200 is neat milestone! World premiere release of actual Henry Mancini soundtrack to terrific Howard Hawks adventure film set in Africa, starring John Wayne, Elsa Martinelli, Red Buttons. Wayne and company capture rare animals for various world zoos. Some species are easier to catch than others. Elephants inspire Mancini to create legendary tune "Baby Elephant Walk", available for first time ever in its original soundtrack guise. Famous swaggering tune for high register Eb clarinet also figures during climactic "Search For Dallas". Leopard, buffalo, monkey, giraffe, ostrich all get their say but incredibly dangerous rhino sequences are what bring out Mancini's equally legendary main theme, often heard on choir of French horns in unison. In 1962, Mancini re-recorded just 30 minutes of highlights for admittedly sensational RCA album. In companionship with that album, now enjoy Mancini's complete original recordings, presented mostly in stereo from Paramount Pictures scoring session elements. A few sections required use of mono stems to allow restoration of complete soundtrack. This new hour long release carries landmark significance: every Mancini album during this most famous period of his career (Breakfast At Tiffany's, Hatari, Charade, Experiment In Terror, The Pink Panther) was heavily truncated and completely re-arranged with emphasis on dance mood. Along with new release of Charade, this marks exciting debut of an actual Mancini soundtrack from the era! Danger, romance, thrills, comedy, all getting rich Mancini melody! Unforgettable original campaign artwork is icing on the cake. Henry Mancini conducts. Available while quantities and interest remain.

01. The Sounds Of Hatari 4:17
    02. Main Title 2:35
    03. Safari Bar Piano Blues 1:24
    04. Giraffe Country 1:34
    05. Just For Tonight (Instrumental) 2:10
    06. Paraphrase I 1:40
    07. Night Side 2:35
    08. Dallas Has A Plan 1:31
    09. Trip To Masai Wells 1:06
    10. Indian Comes Home 0:58
    11. Just For Tonight (Solo Piano) 2:24
    12. Swift Animal Chase 0:49
    13. Dead Elephant 0:37
    14. Night Side (Record Player) 2:19
    15. Leopard And Buffalo 1:51
    16. The Crocodile 1:08
    17. Your Father’s Feathers 1:50
    18. Baby Elephant Walk (Short) 1:57
    19. Crocodile, Go Home! 1:10
    20. Big Band Bwana 1:46
    21. Paraphrase II 1:26
    22. Wildebeest Hunt 2:36
    23. Brandy Sniffer 2:09
    24. Ice Bucket Blues 1:42
    25. Monkey Suits 2:04
    26. Baby Elephant Walk (Long) 3:14
    27. Elephant Scare 0:49
    28. More Rhino 0:53
    29. Burnt Fingers 2:59
    30. Search For Dallas 4:23
    31. Just For Tonight (Chorus) 2:10
    32. Finale 0:19

• Thanks to my friends for pointing out the extensive score to "Hatari". I haven't had the time to revisit the movie and music, but will do so soon.
    I know that the score played through in the film, but my point was that it wasn't effective for me.
    As counterpoint, I posted that "The Great Escape" will be shown theatrically. Now that is a film with one hell of a score with a rousing main title march theme that immediately sets the indomitable resolve of the POWs against the tuba accentuated authoritarianism of their German captors.
    There are themes for several of the individual characters (Blythe, Ives, etc.) that heighten their scenes; a claustrophobic motif whenever the gates close or the guard towers are shown; and a wild, thumping theme for Hilts racing for freedom on his motorcycle.
    The music in this film permeates the viewing experience. I didn't catch that from "Hatari".
    Of course, every once in a while I'm wrong, so I'll view it again with my ears and mind open.
    Not tomorrow though. I discovered that the remastered "Lawrence of Arabia" is being screened for one day only. I'll pack my sunblock and canteen and head for Aquaba.

We deal in lead, friend.

• The other two crew members.

Left is the new one, Chips, (Sean can't pronounce his name so gives him that one in reference to a "chip" on his shoulder.) He is the new "Rifle man" in case Hatari occurs and an animal has to be shot to save a crew member. Next is Karl who was in the first picture, (the race car driver and a chase crew driver of the jeep). Then is "the Indian". He was the rifle man until he was injured at the beginning of the movie. Then Sean, Timbo, the baby elephant, and Dallas.