Hatari (1962)

There are 283 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 352,308 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Its not Karl its Kurt, did you know that while filming was going on at night instead of playing cards or chess with the cast and crew Hardy Kruger (Kurt Muller) lay on his bed listening to the African night noises he did this every night and eventually fell in love with the place so much so that after the film had finished he stayed on in Momella. Kruger made a deal with the land owner Rolf Trappe and went into partnership with Jim Mallory. In November 1961, they opened The Momella Lodge Hotel build on the actual compound of the movie. Kruger would live in Momella for thirteen years, and a lot of his Hollywood earnings were put into the hotel. After Kruger finally left Africa, the lodge got into a state of disrepair but is still doing some business today. But just recently, another hotel opened next to the Momella Lodge, under management of a German couple. That Lodge calls itself the Hatari Lodge, and is using the actual homes of Mallory and Kruger for accommodations.

• I think the routine you are looking for is when Sean finds Dallas in his bed and Pockets comes in to ask him something, Pockets asks him who is in his bed and Sean says I don't know and it goes on from there and again in the morning and all Sean keeps saying is I don't Know.

• second question for hatari group watch:
    in the beginning scenes of the movie, a major incident occurred. What was it and how and why did this become a major theme?
    What do you think about it....did sean handle the premonition properly? Did it contribute to the "hatari" aspect of the rest of the movie?
    Ok, for those of you who haven't watched it yet, this contains
    [spoilers] as it will give the incident in frame by frame to show the true "hatari" or danger that the actors experienced in the filming of this movie. Remember, there was no script. Whatever they encountered on the days of filming was what they did. If something went wrong in a capture, they made up something and either continued on or regrouped.

good luck, and remember, you must cover all aspects of the question. On this one, there will be two days allowed for everyone to post. Whoever gives the best answer will be the winner, (one win will get a sketch for this one). So, the winner will be announced on tuesday morning, the 9th!

there will also be one of the simple questions given in a bit that will require two wins for a sketch. First one to answer wins. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• As many times as I've seen this film, as a wee child and recently, I'd no idea they made it up as they went along. The Duke was not bad at improv.

We're burning moonlight.

• This will start the first part of the discussion, unless someone would like to start somewhere else.
    In the beginning scenes of the movie, a major incident occurred. What was it and how and why did this become a major theme?
    What do you think about it....did sean handle the premonition properly? Did it contribute to the "Hatari" aspect of the rest of the movie?

Sean spots a Rhino and notifies the crew.

The Rhino is running up ahead of truck and jeep

The Rhino attacks and lifts the chasing truck.

The Rhino is between the truck and jeep

Sean tries to Noose the Rhino

The Rhino turns and attacks the low jeep and

The Indian is gored by the Rhino's horn

The wound is too deep for first aid

Sean checks The Indian's wound for the 5 hour ride to the hospital

The Rhino was to be part of the story. But, it was just too good with it hitting the truck ALMOST where it would have wounded the actor, Bruce Cabot. The screen takes show that it didn't QUITE hit the Indian, but it sure looks like it in the movie.

So, what did this "accident" in the film, (as Pappy would say) give extra to the movie? There are two main things.

Also think about the other things mentioned above.

The screen shots here and later will show that the actors really were doing the catching and handling of the wild animals. HATARI!

• Question: Why is Sean the only one who treats Dallas as if she shouldn't be there?

And just imagine how difficult the camera work must have been for the scenes below....hard to imagine!

• Keith, the screen grabs are really fantastic and the questions are really hard, for me at least, lol! I've watched Hatari! a few times but my brain is like a sieve and can't recall the specifics.
    That's what I'm enjoying about the group watch, with all the insight we've had of late, we should all see and learn something new when watching Duke's films again.

Way to go Keith the 2nd. ;)

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I think they had to start the movie with some action and best is what they came up with a Rhino catch that didn't come off. Then when the Indian came out of Hospital he asked Sean to leave them alone this season because he thinks they are jinxed as he says, first it was that nice Belgian kid then Brandies father and his own near miss, so Sean leaves them alone until the end, and they catch a beauty and Sean says there Indian that breaks the jinx.

As for Sean not wanting Dallas around, as Pockets told Dallas that Sean bought a woman back with him one time and she didn't like the animals and his way of life so as Pockets put it one day she just got on her broomstick and flew away. I think Sean was afraid that if he fell in love with Dallas the same thing might happen again. So as Pockets said that she "Dallas" had to start it because Sean wouldn't

• Rockin' Rocklin! Go to the head of the class. I saw the movie twice before that dawned on me.
    Glad to have you join our merry band and look forward to your future posts.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Well, Rocklin, that is an excellent answer to some questions Peter couldn't even fathom, LOL. I think you are definitely on the right track. However, we have to give all a try if they want to. I will let you know the winner tomorrow. AND.........there is a new sketch. I will post it on the next page. Tommy, you are one smart cookie. We need MORE like you!

Oh, you Won THE QUESTION....JUST NEED ONE MORE....THAT MEANS I NEED TO DO MORE SKETCHES, LOL! YOU MIGHT LIKE THIS NEW ONE!

I think they had to start the movie with some action and best is what they came up with a Rhino catch that didn't come off. Then when the Indian came out of Hospital he asked Sean to leave them alone this season because he thinks they are jinxed as he says, first it was that nice Belgian kid then Brandies father and his own near miss, so Sean leaves them alone until the end, and they catch a beauty and Sean says there Indian that breaks the jinx.

As for Sean not wanting Dallas around, as Pockets told Dallas that Sean bought a woman back with him one time and she didn't like the animals and his way of life so as Pockets put it one day she just got on her broomstick and flew away. I think Sean was afraid that if he fell in love with Dallas the same thing might happen again. So as Pockets said that she "Dallas" had to start it because Sean wouldn't

This is the answer to the question.

Proud to have you aboard Tommy. Looks like you are the only one who has any answers....how old did you say you were? Way to go, SON!\

Keith

• Ok yall, here is the theory question. We have one more day for you to try to answer it. Rocklin, (our young Tommy) who won the first set of questions has given his answer....you can see it below. He ALSO answered the next QUESTION....one more and he has ANOTHER sketch. This young man is whooping up on yall, LOL! Maybe he can just answer everything and then yall could comment on his answers.....just kidding!
    Here is the theory question and you have until 9am EST to answer it. I will post the next question on the next page.

In the beginning scenes of the movie, a major incident occurred. What was it and how and why did this become a major theme?
    What do you think about it....did sean handle the premonition properly? Did it contribute to the "hatari" aspect of the rest of the movie?
    [spoilers] as it will give the incident in frame by frame to show the true "hatari" or danger that the actors experienced in the filming of this movie. Remember, there was no script. Whatever they encountered on the days of filming was what they did. If something went wrong in a capture, they made up something and either continued on or regrouped.

good luck, and remember, you must cover all aspects of the question. On this one, there will be two days allowed for everyone to post. Whoever gives the best answer will be the winner, (one win will get a sketch for this one). So, the winner will be announced on tuesday morning, the 9th!

• new question
    what is the name of the song that kurt is trying to play and dallas has to help him with it? This kind of gets the crew together.

remember, first one to answer wins.....think we are going to have to change that, but for now, it stands! Answer now, rocklin is around somewhere, lol!
    new theory question will be out after 9am!

• Well, time is up. We only had one attempt at answering the Theory question, and that was our new fellah, Tommy (Rocklin). I think he did a bang up job with his answer. Here it is
    I think they had to start the movie with some action and best is what they came up with a Rhino catch that didn't come off. Then when the Indian came out of Hospital he asked Sean to leave them alone this season because he thinks they are jinxed as he says, first it was that nice Belgian kid then Brandies father and his own near miss, so Sean leaves them alone until the end, and they catch a beauty and Sean says there Indian that breaks the jinx.
    Not only did he win with this, but, he also got the Question right, so, he is on the way to a THIRD sketch, LOL. Just has to answer one more of the Questions. Way to go Tommy! Glad someone is watching the movie and giving it some thought. Next post!

good luck, and remember, you must cover all aspects of the question. On this one, there will be two days allowed for everyone to post. Whoever gives the best answer will be the winner, (one win will get a sketch for this one). So, the winner will be announced on tuesday morning, the 9th! [/QUOTE]

• The name of the song is, Swanee River that Kurt was trying to play, and Dallas had to come and rescue him, it is a Black Water River.

WE HAVE A QUESTION WINNER!
    GUESS WHO IT IS? IF YOU GUESSED ROCKLIN, (TOMMY), YOU ARE CORRECT!

Well, Tommy, Congratulations, you have two more prizes to collect. You can either choose something on the prize page, ask for a certain sketch to be made, or wait and hope that someone donates something else, LOL! I am currently working on one and should have it finished by tonight. You may or may not be interested in it.....it is from Fort Apache and has Duke, Hank Fonda and George O'Brien, (Collingwood) in it just as Colonel Thursday angers Cochise by his outrageous performance and startles both Duke and George.

The next Theory and regular Question will also be out tonight. I trust you saw that we had to change the rules on the Question to be fair to all.

So, let me know of your choices. LOL, you are a good one, and a right smart fellah....do your homework! HAGO, Keith Oh, you are welcome to make your choice right here as I already have your address.

By the way, it is the Suwanee River, and the "black" water is caused by the tannin from the trees. I used to have a restaurant called Alligator Jack's right at the junction of the Suwanee and the Withlacoochee Rivers.

I am working on the theory and the next question right now. Should be up in a couple of hours.

• My apologies,Tommy. When I grew up in the '50s, I used to fish all the time in the Suwanee River. Also sang the song in chorus. Until today, I had never seen it spelled Swanee. Seems as if it is accepted now, so I spoke out of turn. Remember what Duke and my Mom always said, "Today hopes we have learned something from Yesterday!"

OK, now the new Question and Theory

QUESTION:
    Duke did have a good time making this movie, but as has been mentioned, there was an awfully lot of non-stop smoking going on, and it seems as if a lot of the after shooting hours contained real alcohol, at least for Duke. There was a Cameo appearance that was scheduled but never happened, and also an elaborate joke was planned but never executed. What was the cause for these departures from the plans.

Diana (Hartley) Knodi died tragically. She was killed by a "tame" lion while working on the Hollywood epic about professional animal catchers, Hatari. On November 1, 1960, Diana Knodi entered the lion's cage and it sprang on her. It bit her three times, on the chin, throat, and chest, then mauled her to death. White hunter Bill Ryan, who was on the film set nearby with stars John Wayne, Hardy Kruger, Red Buttons, and the actress Capucine, commented, "Diana should never have got into the cage with that lion. She didn't have a chance."
    Part of this doesn't "ring true", as I believe the crew was not down in Africa until at least the second week of November.....Duke was detained. So, what was Diana doing for the movie?
    Also, some sources give her name as a stunt double, while others leave her out completely and have CAREY LOFTIN as doubling for Elsa Martinelli. That seems more reasonable since Diana would have been dead at the time of filming in Africa. What is strange though is that Carey Loftin was known as the greatest stunt driver in the history of stunt driving at the time. I don't recall Elsa's character doing any dangerous driving, do you?

Early on, it was said that a white hunter died in a jeep accident while filming the movie.....I can't find that anywhere. Does anyone know where it is.

And, here are the stunt people:]

Stunts

Carey Loftin....stunts (uncredited)Chuck Roberson....stunt double: John Wayne (uncredited)Ted White....stunts (uncredited)Jack Williams....stunts (uncredited)

I cannot seem to find them, I really only know Bad Chuck well, but never see him anywhere. I have done over 250 screen shots. Has anyone seen them? I first focused on the most dangerous parts of the animal chases, but.............there are the real actors. Both, Duke and Kruger took Lassoing lessons.....didn't know which would be the one to lasso the animal. Turned out it was Duke, and my screen shots say it was REALLY him. So, does anyone have any idea where the stunt folks are except almost assuredly in the overturning of the jeep. Oh, also Luis and Sean roped the animals' hind legs when capturing them. The Africanis mainly held the animals still as much as possible so that the actors could get close to them safely. But, there are times when Sean is anything BUT safe in his position. OK, so...........find them, will you? They have to be somewhere, LOL! Good Luck.....I have watched this besides the screen caps about 10 times. A fresh eye or two should do the trick! HELP.

Keith

• The cameo roll was to be played by Ward Bond but before filming began on Hatari! Ward Bond passed away on November 5, 1960. The joke Wayne was going to play on his old friend was he was going to get a photo of Wards rear end and a Rhinos and have a contest to see which had the biggest rear end.

And may I also say like Duke, Ward Bond is also missed by all his fans.

“Never apologize, mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”
    John Wayne

• Just to let you know that after Thursday 11th I shall be away for a long weekend, but I have bookmarked the forum page on our Sandra's notebook so I might pop in to see who is answering all the questions.

I'm 70 years young a war baby born while bombs were being dropped all over England.

Okay now this woman Dianna Knobi supposedly killed by a tame Lion during the making of Hatari for one there is no Lion tame or otherwise in the movie. We saw a Leopard caught in a cage up a tree and a tame Cheetah named Sonja but no Lion, I think someone as got their wires crossed, I have just been to the Wikipedia page and it mentions nothing about the woman.

• Just to let you know that after Thursday 11th I shall be away for a long weekend, but I have bookmarked the forum page on our Sandra's notebook so I might pop in to see who is answering all the questions.

I'm 70 years young a war baby born while bombs were being dropped all over England.

Okay now this woman Dianna Knobi supposedly killed by a tame Lion during the making of Hatari for one there is no Lion tame or otherwise in the movie. We saw a Leopard caught in a cage up a tree and a tame Cheetah named Sonja but no Lion, I think someone as got their wires crossed, I have just been to the Wikipedia page and it mentions nothing about the woman.

From what I Googled yesterday, she was going to be stuntman for one of the actresses in the film but she was killed elsewhere. I'll try to find the link again for you. It sounds like she had an interesting if tragic life.

Edit: Found it, here's the link.

http://www.ntz.info/gen/n02125.html

Her name was Diana Hartley Knodi.

We're burning moonlight.