Hatari (1962)

There are 283 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 352,312 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Sorry, got my wires crossed about your age....no wonder you answer so well, LOL!
    Yep, I think I mentioned that about the Lion. There are many places on the net that mention her and the tragic event. There are also ones that don't mention her at all and only mention Carey Loftin. Some say there were NO stunt folks. I have two notes in to a couple of people who may be able to clear all of this up. Hope so. Also, on IMDB, it keeps mentioning Bruce Cabot as playing a Racing driver instead of the Rifle Safety Man. I have corrected many things on Wikipedia and IMDB.....looks as if we might have some more to correct once the dust settles!

Well, yall have a super trip. Hope to hear from you. Still trying to get others involved, but before, they usually always posted just a comment near the end of the watch. Was hoping to get more discussions going this time. Well, you can't say I haven't tried. I REFUSE to stand on my head, ;). Have enjoyed YOUR involvement though, and I thank you for it.

Sure glad the bombs missed you! HAGO, Keith

Just to let you know that after Thursday 11th I shall be away for a long weekend, but I have bookmarked the forum page on our Sandra's notebook so I might pop in to see who is answering all the questions.

I'm 70 years young a war baby born while bombs were being dropped all over England.

Okay now this woman Dianna Knobi supposedly killed by a tame Lion during the making of Hatari for one there is no Lion tame or otherwise in the movie. We saw a Leopard caught in a cage up a tree and a tame Cheetah named Sonja but no Lion, I think someone as got their wires crossed, I have just been to the Wikipedia page and it mentions nothing about the woman.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Yep, you are right. It was all in the article. I just copied the part about her going into the lion's cage when she never should have. Sure was a lot of tragedy in her life. Keith Only thing she could have done with Hatari what I see is to help get some of the animals ready before the actors went down. Obvious that they wouldn't use the lion after what happened.

• OK, that was fun. Now, back to the GROUP WATCH.

Believe the Theory question may be a bit early in the month as some people have not watched the movie yet, unfortunately. So, I will put forth another one along with a Question since Rocklin once again answered the last one, LOL!

Theory:
    Since the animals caught in this movie were captured in the most humanely way possible known at the time, were kept in monitored quarters until they were flown to the States, and were given to zoos, what are your feelings about their capture? Would you prefer that we did not have zoos and all the animals could remain free? If that were so, do you think there would be organizations devoted to stopping the extinction of certain animal species? Do you think our children would learn and care about the wild animals and perhaps get degrees in their care?

Question: Why did Sean, (Duke) lasso the zebra instead of using the catch pole? How many times did it take him to lasso it and why?

Here is a pic showing the danger that Duke put himself into many times in this film:

Duke wrapping the front legs on the Rhino while keeping a hand on his head to "feel" what his next movements would be.

Duke holding back legs of Rhino before he has been flipped.

Duke at head of Rhino as ropes come loose. Notice a rapid retreat, LOL!

Tembo scared goats and Sean ends up with a pail of milk on his head. Pockets dies laughing!

Now, while watching, don't forget to look for the doubles! I can't find them anywhere except at least ONE of them was probably in the jeep when it went over if not two. Here they are:
    Carey Loftin.... stunts (uncredited) Chuck Roberson.... stunt double: John Wayne (uncredited) Ted White.... stunts (uncredited) Jack Williams.... stunts (uncredited)

• Keith, according to the Cinema Retro article, Chuck Roberson didn't double Duke. Ted White, who doubled for Duke in Hawk's "Rio Bravo" was officially assigned that task. The second unit stunt co-ordinator, Paul Helmick, was told by Hawks that Hawks didn't want any of Duke's usual people. He broke the news to Bad Chuck and reported that "the message did not endear me to him one iota"
    I strongly endorse Cinema Retro to anyone interested in movies from the '60s and '70s. Our man in Germany Mike Siegel has made many contributions and I've even managed a couple credits my ownself.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Thanks Bill...don't know about the long shots, but the close-ups sure enough had the actors in there, and not always when it was safe either.

I will try that. Have checked it out once or twice, but it never has the same things that the others do....well not never, but lots of times.

At least someone said something besides me, LOl! Keith

• Ideally, all animals would have sufficient range to remain in their native habitat and live free and wild. That would be lovely. Unfortunately, we human beings have uncontrolled population growth and we have damaged habitat to the degree that virtually every animal habitat has been destroyed or changed. Some people find it difficult to accept this but denial of facts doesn't make them invalid. Did you know there are more tigers living in the state of Texas than there are living in the wild in Siberia? That's right. There are fewer than 500 Siberian tigers left living in the wild. The largest carnivorous cat in the world is nearly extinct in its natural habitat.

It's absolutely unrealistic to believe that zoos can be eliminated. They're the only place most people will see wild animals in their lifetimes. For those who decry their necessity, one wonders how many people are in their own families...and how many children they have. There is an inverse connection between human population and the habitat encroachment on wildlife population all over the world. The more people the fewer wildlife, it's as simple as that.

Without zoos to maintain some genetic diversity, we would lose these species forever. Many of them are already extinct in their natural habitat. I see zoos as a necessary evil until people come to their senses and realize this planet cannot support uncontrolled numbers of humanity.

:rant:There are more humans than there are rats on the planet now. Did you know that? We now outnumber vermin at 7 billion people. We're already living in a mass extinction. It may already be too late to turn it around unless we do something about it in the next 10 years. I have a son. Perhaps you have children. They are our hostages to the future. They will pay the price for our mistakes and the price will be high. :rant:

This is the sixth mass extinction. Now extinct in the wild:

Camelus dromedarius (Dromedary)
    Elaphurus davidianus (Pere David's Deer)
    Oryx dammah (Oryx)
    Ceratotherium simum cottoni (Northern White Rhino)
    Panthera tigris amoyensis (South China Tiger)

Corvus hawaiiensis Hawaii Crow
    Gallirallus owstoni Guam Rail
    Mitu mitu
    Alagoas Curassow
    Zenaida graysoni
    Socorro Dove

Atelopus zeteki
    Panamanian Golden Frog
    Craugastor punctariolus Bob's Robber Frog
    Hemiphractus sp. Casque-headed Frog
    Nectophrynoides asperginis Kihansi Spray Toad

This list is neither comprehensive nor inclusive of the megafauna we have lost in the last century. It's only a short illustration of a few animals that would be forever lost were it not for zoos. It doesn't include Ray-finned fish, tortoises nor microfauna. :stunned:

Keith, honey, are you sorry you asked? :))):

We're burning moonlight.

• Sean dropped the catch pole the first time he tried, then Pockets drove through a small stream which drenched the rope using the rope he lassooed the Zebra on the second try.
    I think Zoos are ok if its an animal that is becoming a rarity any they give children a chance to see animals that they might never see.

• Indeed, I have just finished re watching Hatari! and I now like it even more!
    It would be a boring place if we all liked the same things and I really do like this one: the film and the soundtrack!
    I'll go back and re read Keith's posts and be a good group watcher and answer a few of the questions, no pressure! Lol!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Ok, so I've read through 6 pages of the group watch and all seem to have been answered and won by Rocklin!
    Regarding the whole zoo/animals in the wild I agree wholeheartedly with Peridot.
    Burying or heads in the sand on this will achieve nothing.
    One of the fundamental changes in the last 100, or even 50 years, is the huge advancements in medical care. People are living longer, diseases which would have impacted on the growth of the world population can be cured or at least reduced. I could go on about other aspect of the modern world but it's all pretty obvious stuff.
    Going back to animals in the wild debate: It would be too naive to think we should not have zoos. They are often the conduit that make youngsters decide they want to do something and work with animals, not necessarily in zoos but also in the wild and keep many endangered species from extinction. They also have breeding programs to help dwindling numbers in the wild.
    The WWF, world wildlife fund, facilitate great ways for you to help animals in the wild.
    I signed up my wife, mother and myself to 3 'adoption programs' for Christmas 3 years ago where a small monthly payment goes to help towards the care of endangered species. See link. https://support.wwf.org.uk/adopt-an-orang-utan
    We're currently doing our very small bit for orang-utans, Bengal tigers and black rhinos. I've never cancelled the subscription, can't bring myself to. Us English folks are suckers for animals!
    Anyhow, I hope that's not so massively off topic; Keith does want our opinions on here so if I can muster up enough time to do it everyone on else can! ;)

• I have not watched the film yet, but I will pipe in about zoos. I do think that they serve a good purpose and are necessary in teaching kids and letting them see animals that are not indigenous to their country. I do wish that the zoos were better maintained than the ones I have seen. While the intentions of the staff at the zoos are mostly genuine and caring about the animals, it seems most zoos suffer from lack of funds. So, the animal habitats always seem smaller than they should or could be. But, as Peridot stated, man kind is growing at such a rate that there are fewer and fewer natural habitats left that are untouched my man. Zoos may someday be the only place left to see exotic animals.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Damn we're almost getting cerebral on this thread! Lol!
    I know what you mean Mark, thankfully most of the zoos in the UK are pretty good.
    I have been bought 'a day as a zookeeper' as a Christmas present this year, I've got my big goggles and cap with the huge peak at the ready, I'll let you know how I get on!

• Hi Rocklin....glad you are back...thought I answered this, LOL. Anyway,
    You answered part of the question but not why, even though the lasso was over the top of the zebra's head and Sean tried to save the catch, the zebra got loose and he had to rope her again.

Peter, wow, amazing how much you and your family do for animals.....and a zookeeper...........oh, can't wait to hear about this. They told my friend he was going to be in the Macy's day parade, so he told all of his friends.....they had him scooping up the poop from the horses, LOL! I am sure you won't get stuck with anything like THAT!

Mark, thanks for your input. Hope you can watch the movie soon.

Wow, a much better day today in the GW. Thanks all, Keith

• I did not have the time to join the group watch so far, but I listened to the new complete and restored Hatari soundtrack CD from Intrada. GREAT! Perfect stereo quality and much more music from Henry Mancini than on the old soundtrack CD.

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• I did not have the time to join the group watch so far, but I listened to the new complete and restored Hatari soundtrack CD from Intrada. GREAT! Perfect stereo quality and much more music from Henry Mancini than on the old soundtrack CD.

Same here Dukesfan. There has been a huge amount of Duke soundtracks of late, legend of the lost and Iwo Jima are the only 2 I would steer clear of, all the others have been great! Glad you enjoyed Hatari, great hearing it like that for the first time.

• Same here Dukesfan. There has been a huge amount of Duke soundtracks of late, legend of the lost and Iwo Jima are the only 2 I would steer clear of, all the others have been great! Glad you enjoyed Hatari, great hearing it like that for the first time.

Dooley, you were supposed to gently "steer" him toward the Group Watch to voice his opinion there, LOL! No "e" on the Hawk!

• Day off today. Some people have come back from vacation, another's computer is fixed.

Still need to answer the QUESTION: Why didn't Sean's lasso completely catch the zebra the first time? Rock, you have 1 Question answer in already. Others have to answer two for a sketch.

Peridot by FAR answered the THEORY question the very best with statistics to back up everything. It also promoted some good conversation with Dooley and Dukesfan1. Found out that Dooley's family supports an endangered animal each and Dooley was givem "A Day as a Zookeeper" for a Christmas present. Can't wait for pics of THAT DAY! Hope they aren't like my pooper scooper's friend in the Macy Parade on TV.....told them all to watch him in the parade, HAH!

Back to work tomorrow. New theory question. Mark PLEASE watch Hatari, LOL. You are much too intelligent to waste! And Dooley has watched and enjoyed in immensely again. New people more than welcome. Haven't even gotten to the great parts yet. HAGO, KEITH

• Do know that it is about 3 months since I watched Hatari!, my wife says I live and breath John Wayne. On Saturday night when we go for a drink and someone says to me did you watch that John Wayne movie today I would most likely say no, then my wife would say to the person who asked the question, Tom don't have to watch the movie he can tell you the whole movie from beginning to end.

• I think I'm blessed with either a lack of sustained concentration or just getting old but thankfully I can watch films over and over and I still see new things I've missed in the past!

I'm the same way, Dooley. But, I can't say that about Hatari. After putting in the DVD and sitting back with my bag of popcorn, I just couldn't get up for this film. Yes, the animal chases were exciting to a degree, but the acting...um...left a lot to be desired. Dallas was horrendous, Chips and Kurt not much better. Pockets was better, but a little too silly at times. The few laughs made it bearable but this is one Duke film that stays near the bottom of my list.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• [quote='dukefan1','http://dukewayne.com/bb/index.php?thread/&postID=119223#post119223']I'm the same way, Dooley. But, I can't say that about Hatari. After putting in the DVD and sitting back with my bag of popcorn, I just couldn't get up for this film. Yes, the animal chases were exciting to a degree, but the acting...um...left a lot to be desired. Dallas was horrendous, Chips and Kurt not much better. Pockets was better, but a little too silly at times. The few laughs made it bearable but this is one Duke film that stays near the bottom of my list. MARK

LOL, well, we all tried Mark. And I will have to admit and be pleased that YOU did also. OK, you didn't like it.....that is what makes it more fun. We tried to get you to, but, even though you tried...you still didn't.

So, one for sure that rates it a downer......not TOO much time left.

I LOVED Pockets....yes, he was silly, but the whole movie, outside of the captures WAS, and was supposed to be.......I mean, imagine having three baby elephants chasing through a town and shops, etc........NEVER HAPPEN.....plain old silly. Guess I am just not a good judge of talent, because I loved Dallas....don't usually get very excited about the females in the pics, but I thought she was great. Also enjoyed Kurt and Chips, (do like the guys, and the older I get, the better I like the Younger Ones, LOL).

Loved the fact that Duke actually LET THEM FILM HIM with the "goat's milk" all over him, oh, just thought the whole thing was funny.

Now the captures....after watching them all through screen shots were fascinating...especially seeing the actors right there in some before the restraining ropes were actually on. I mean.....I helped to capture....can't remember, but it was 14 or 18 ostriches from Gary's farm in N. FL for the move to Texas. Those things can be very dangerous. If you get in front of one, (see the natives lie down immediately), one foot up, then down can destroy a man. They treated it as funny in the movie.....however, it was more dangerous than capturing the zebra for one. Here is a pic of an ostrich foot....and their ability to run at high speeds and these feet are their only protection. That toenail can rip a man from adam's apple through his chest and all the way out between his legs......OUCH! When you catch them, you do it from behind. We used at LEAST three people.....two would grab the wings at their sides and put all their weight on them, and one would take the tail. No Danger as long as they don't face you. I did the tail as my 112 pounds would do nothing to stop an adult ostrich, LOL!