The Undefeated (1969)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 150 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• I have to agree with Robbie on this film. I just cannot get into the film that much, it has its moments but it just seems to always be missing something. When I am cruising the channels I stop and watch it for a bit but just simply grow tired of it after awhile and move on.
      Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
      -John Wayne
    • This is one of those films that has both advocates and detractors. I find it a little tedious in places, but with John Wayne as the focus, it is still entertaining. Certainly not in the top tier, but much better than some of JW's 50's bombs.
      Cheers - Jay :D
      Cheers - Jay:beer:
      "Not hardly!!!"
    • Re: The Undefeated (1969)

DukePilgrim wrote:

Apparently, James Arness was offered the role played by Rock Hudson but for whatever reason passed on it. It would have been interesting to see what the film would have been like with Wayne and Arness together.

Mike

I still think that with both of them it would have still been tough to do much with. I think the script was lacking too much and the film had way to many holes in it to make it believeable. In my opinion anyways.
      Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
      -John Wayne

Well, I finally...finally...FINALLY saw the pickup truck at the end of this film yesterday. I had to look over the scene a few times, as the truck is only visable for maybe half a second. But it does pull into the scene right before the camera shifts away from Duke. Ahhhh...been watching this film for years, and could never see the truck that everyone talked about.

As for the film itself, it is basically an OK John Wayne movie. Nothing much happens during the film, but it's always fun just to watch Duke in a western. Being one of his later-day roles, I'd rate the film above Chisum, but not as good as Big Jake.

DakotaSurfer wrote:

I like both of them too. I like most military films and I've always liked any movies about the Khan's.

In my opinion, 'The Conqueror' is a highly entertaining film, with hugh production values, a wonderful music score (by none other than Victor Young), and excellent character actors. And besides all this, the out-of-print Goodtimes DVD spots a wonderful transfer and carries the original 2.0 stereo soundtrack, which really booms out of your speakers.

I can certainly think of a dozen other Duke films that I'd pass on to watch this one.