The Undefeated (1969)

There are 158 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 154,705 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• just watched this film. after reading the reviews on here, i wasn t really expecting much, but i quite enjoyed it - the film had a lot of good points points - for example, the loyalty from his men towards john henry, a bit of romance and comedy. i was a bit disappointed with the way it ended but it showed in the end, friendship was the winner - hope that doesn t sound too cheesy

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• This was a disappointing movie to me. I just didn't think the script was very good, or the acting, especially from the southern characters. The story was weak, and most of all, you just couldn't feel the chemistry from the actors.

I am not a big Rock Hudson fan, but this movie made me a lesser fan of his. I didn't really connect with Blue Boy, or the girl. This movie didn't do much for me.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I posted a reply to this question on IMDb last year in response to him being the one who "won't make Christmas":

- He can also be seen opening his mouth about to say something to John Wayne and Ben Johnson right as Roman Gabriel rides up (several days late) at the "meeting point" after the war. He's also seen walking along with them a couple of minutes later. He has a full, salt and pepper beard. I wondered for many years where he appeared myself, so it was good to finally figure it out! -

• I've often wondered whatever happened to Melissa Newman, who played Rock Hudson's daughter in the movie. I remember her guest-starring in several TV westerns in the late 60's/early 70's, often with Sam Elliott. I seem to remember reading (at the time) that she & Sam Elliott were a couple back then. I've Googled her, but most of the responses refer to Paul Newman's daughter, Melissa. She was very beautiful. I wonder why she left acting?

• I posted a reply to this question on IMDb last year in response to him being the one who "won't make Christmas":

- He can also be seen opening his mouth about to say something to John Wayne and Ben Johnson right as Roman Gabriel rides up (several days late) at the "meeting point" after the war. He's also seen walking along with them a couple of minutes later. He has a full, salt and pepper beard. I wondered for many years where he appeared myself, so it was good to finally figure it out! -

I don't know about the rest of you . . . but I couldn't figure out what (or more correctly, WHO) The Tennesseean was talking about. So for the benefit of those who were wondering, like I was :headbonk:, below are the original post to which he referred, and also another member's answer. Thanks, Tennesseean, for jumping in!!

Mrs. C :angel1:

Hey everyone, sorry haven't posted in awhile, but came up with a good stumper that I figured you fine folks might know. So I was watching The Undefeated on AMC last night, and in the credits John Agar is listed, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember seeing him amidst all those familiar faces. This has bothered me before so I popped in the dvd to see if I could find him, and sure enough I did.

In the scene where JW resigns, with Paul Fix, there is a shot of John Henry Thomas' men on the horses in the rain. The Duke says "These are all that's left, and two of them won't make Christmas." Well to me, that last fella who coughs sure looks like John Agar, albeit with a beard.

So here's my pregunta. Was Agar's part cut in the editing room? Maybe there is a scene of him dying/getting killed because at no point in the rest of the movie do I see him with the other Thomas riders, Johnson, Harry Carey JR, Collier, Gatlin. I'm thinking maybe the Duke offered an old friend a part in his later years. So sorry if I rambled, but any ideas? What happened to John Agar, "Christian" in the imdb listing, in The Undefeated?

• i cant help it this is one of my favorites-the scene at the begining with royal dano saying he intends to keep fighting dw says why?dano replies its our home or something like that duke says were all americans-dano"s responce is "yes sir,that always seemed to be the saddest part of it all"man that sums up the war for me-yes the plot of the ransom and thomas paying is so farfetched i have to look the other way-but maxinillian,the french ,jauristas and the cast make it interesting and duke and hudson are great together

• hi there
    i think the undefeated is one of jw weakest films along with
    cahill us marshall and rooster cogburn and the lady, between
    1969-75 and mcq as his non western as the weakest at that time

• John Agar had said he had a nice death scene in the movie, but it ended up being cut due to the film being too long.

It's funny, I always wondered where he was too (in the movie). The when I finally spotted him, he stands out every time I see the film. It's too bad he couldn't have been given a larger part.

In spite of the Blue Boy romance, I still like the film. Nothing monumental, but it's a good time waster.

• This movie had Merlin Olsen who played Cpl. Little George, CSA. The gentle giant who can whip anybody and he did, but had the innocences of a child. He reminds me a little of Hoss Cartwright. Not as good as Hoss but in the same way. Anyway, just to post of his passing on March 12, 2010. He was 69 years old and died of cancer.

RIP Merlin.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• This movie had Merlin Olsen who played Cpl. Little George, CSA. The gentle giant who can whip anybody and he did, but had the innocences of a child. He reminds me a little of Hoss Cartwright. Not as good as Hoss but in the same way. Anyway, just to post of his passing on March 12, 2010. He was 69 years old and died of cancer.

RIP Merlin.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

And Merle's passing is covered here
    Merle Olsen

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• When you see Agar in those bit roles in The Undefeated, Chisum and, Big Jake, he looked old, like he was in his 60's. Yet, he was really only around 50 at the time. I really liked him in those early roles in Sands Of Iwo Jima, Fort Apache and, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and he did another good war movie back then called Breakthrough and, for me, he seemed to disappear from the screen. I don't remember seeing him in anything else till he did a bit part as Dion O'Bannion in St. Valentines Day Massacre. Again, he looked older than his 46 yrs. But, you look on IMDb, and he did alot of roles in both movies and tv. I must have missed all those because I don't remember them.

• Hmm-I never thought he looked older than his actual age in those films. He was a hard drinker at one time, but I think he had stopped sometime in the early 60s. The drinking and his messy divorce from Shirly Temple IMHO had alot to do with his career problems.

• Actually in Big Jake, I thought he looked great, in fine shape. Wish he'd gotten some larger roles in these films-especially Undefeated and Big Jake. I would have preferred him in Rio Lobo as the Sheriff too.