The Undefeated (1969)

There are 158 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 154,731 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• True Paula, I have corrected the IMDB and also Wikipedia quite a few times. I was wrong once and corrected my post when asked about it. They both ask for and like to be corrected if need be and you have sources to back it up. In my case, most of mine were just actual frame by frame sightings. Oh, they also love to get any extra info you have about the subject. If you have learned it from someone here, make sure that you credit them and the board. A couple of folks have gotten some heat from not doing that....I can well understand why, LOL.

Ride hard and don't put him up wet! KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Wikipedia was the first place I went to research Lewis B. Patten's work after I couldn't find anything on Amazon or bookfinder.com. They were not helpful either.

Dang. If Patten DID write a novel that was a source for The Undefeated, I'd like to read it. :)

• Well Paula, I will set my sources on it and see if I can come up with it for you. Will let you know one way or the other! KPKEITH

Wikipedia was the first place I went to research Lewis B. Patten's work after I couldn't find anything on Amazon or bookfinder.com. They were not helpful either.

Dang. If Patten DID write a novel that was a source for The Undefeated, I'd like to read it. :)

• Hi Paula, So far, all we can find are a few places that list him as one of the three writers. One site lists him as the writer of UNDEFEATED, the film, but has him as Uncredited. It is not in his book list, but it may be under another name. All so far. KPKEITH

• Well, that's why I asked, I was hoping someone would know which book it was, if it was under another name. Still looking! ;) I looked at both Randy Roberts and Michael Munn's bios and neither mentioned a novel by Lewis B. Patten. The mystery thickens. ;)

• Well, it's the Fourth of July so you all know what that means...screencaps from the 1969 film The Undefeated. ;) That is, I did screencaps of Ben Johnson's scenes in The Undefeated. Don't worry, all you John Wayne fans, that means lots of pictures of the Duke too. And some of Rock Hudson. Some even with John Wayne AND Rock Hudson. ;) (P.S. I LOVE Rock Hudson -- I am eclectic when it comes to my cinematic crushes.)

As you all know, the big Yankee cowboy/Rebel group party in the movie takes place on the fourth of July. And since men will be men (or as I like to think of 'em, little boys in man-sized bodies), the celebration soon turns into a full-bore donnybrook because nothing says "let's party!" like a fist in the face! ;) It takes a woman with a gun (which, according to Godard, is all you need to make a movie) to make the boys behave and look adorably abashed.

To see the screencaps (all 1,723 of them), head on over to http://benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com. Meanwhile, here's a sampling for you to enjoy before you fire up the grill for your own (hopefully punch-to-the-face free) July 4 party.

• Some great shots! The 5th pic down has a rare shot of John Agar from the film-he's the bearded guy on the far right.

• Yep, saw Dobe in a couple of them myself, Keith. Ya know, I liked him when he was young, but BOY what a change when he got older, grew the beard, etc. Hard to believe it was the same person! If he has looked more like that when he was younger, maybe he WOULD have been a star instead of a character actor. He said, he knew he wasn't star material and was happy being what he was.....but, I wonder! KPKEITH

• Forgot to thanks Paula for those great pics. May I use some for the book if I credit you?

Still looking for the author for you.

I saw this in the theater when it came out. Didn't even know who Ben Johnson was then! I am a fan of his now though.

Say, does anyone know what is a good company to replace Netflix now that I can't get any of the old western I need for my research....first four years of Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, etc.? Want to stream them not order DVDs. Netflix said if I do away with the streaming, it will ONLY cost me $16 to get 3 DVDs at a time. What in the WORLD happened to what was once a great company? SORRY, OT.

Thanks again Paula.....super pictures! Have to go see your site, KPKEITH
    Any of Ward on there, LOL?

• How many duke fans have spotted the pickup truck near the end of The Undefeated

Thanks for your post.
    Please see this thread

Goofs

* Anachronisms: At the end of the film, as everyone rides slowly toward the camera, a red pickup truck enters from the right and casually drives alongside the river in the background.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Yeh when I joined the other message board to the duke the one that as Rick, Terry and others, someone posted a message to me about the truck and thought it was a wind up so me and my son put the film on and looked for it, we did eventually find it.

• It's a Wayne movie I like em all, especially when they kept asking for the bottle.

Wondering if you got your sketches yet Tommy. Sent them last week, FINALLY. And, if you don't like Hank still, I will make you one of someone or a one man scene for free to make up for that one. Let me know..KEITH