Flying Leathernecks (1951)

There are 106 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 94,626 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "Flying Leathernecks" and "They Were Expendable" were each very good with a minimum of fake heroics. Add to that "Sands of Iwo Jima".

Pretty much all war films have to be looked at in consideration of the era they were produced. Many WWII films were either thinly veiled or outright propaganda for the home front. That doesn't mean they weren't good films...you simply have to take into consideration the message being given. Two very good examples..."Air Force" and "The 49th Parallel"...the former American...the latter British produced. Each is a fine film in its own right but both were pushing the propaganda angle to maintain public support.

Most of the better war films...that is more realistic about war and its costs with less fake heroics...came either late in the war or were filmed post-war..."12 O'Clock High"..."The Best Years of Their Lives"..."Battleground".

"It was me...I shot Liberty Valance."

• "Flying Leathernecks" and "They Were Expendable" were each very good with a minimum of fake heroics. Add to that "Sands of Iwo Jima".

Pretty much all war films have to be looked at in consideration of the era they were produced. Many WWII films were either thinly veiled or outright propaganda for the home front. That doesn't mean they weren't good films...you simply have to take into consideration the message being given. Two very good examples..."Air Force" and "The 49th Parallel"...the former American...the latter British produced. Each is a fine film in its own right but both were pushing the propaganda angle to maintain public support.

Most of the better war films...that is more realistic about war and its costs with less fake heroics...came either late in the war or were filmed post-war..."12 O'Clock High"..."The Best Years of Their Lives"..."Battleground".

I found "The Fighting Seebees" hard to watch due to its blatant racism. Fortunately by the time "The Flying Leathernecks" was made in 1950-51 the United States was at war with China, and so the portrayal of the Japanese was far more balanced.

Of the old war films I liked "The Cruel Sea" most as it did not contain any propaganda or false heroics.