The Green Berets (1968)

There are 160 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 233,960 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• One of my favorites! The scene at the end wth the little boy was tuff to watch. Another great JW war movie.

• One of my favorites! The scene at the end wth the little boy was tuff to watch. Another great JW war movie.

I've always enjoyed this film despite all the negativity which surrounds it.
    I do think the world has gone mad with all this 'political correctness'.
    Not sure what it's like for you guys across the pond but it's out of hand over here!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• I do think the world has gone mad with all this 'political correctness'.
    Not sure what it's like for you guys across the pond but it's out of hand over here!

Same here, Dooley. Drives me and the wife crazy! Can't go hurting anyone's feelings now, can we? lol

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I loved it and was upset to hear all the negativity about it. Loved seeing Janssen won over and continue on. Actually, when I was a golf pro at Mission Hills CC in Palm Springs, Jack Quigley,the manager of Canyon CC used to call me at my club and ask me to come to his and give David and him a lesson. After the first time of telling him I gave lessons at MY club...I always gave in. Heh, not only did he pay about five times what I normally got, but we would play nine holes and then he would buy dinner at Paul DiAmicos or somewhere nice. I had met them both in Atlanta when I showed them around the course before a pro-am, and helped David who was having to convert his swing because of a bad basketball and pole vaulting knee. I was the Jr.City Champ and later the Woman's Champ.....always at the Atlanta CC...strange. Anyway, I knew a few Green Beret's...only one came home. So, the movie held a special place in my heart as I am quite certain that it did many others. KPKEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I really think the cast is wonderful, and a tad different from the regular Duke film overall. The first half is what I find most enjoyable, and I lose interest once it becomes the mission to kidnap the general.

• I think it was Winston Churchill who said something to the effect that if you had enemies, then that meant you stood for something. Duke's enemies, the liberal elite didn't give him a chance on this one. Same deal for The Alamo. America was changing and we were in the middle of a war so it was expected. That doesn't mean millions upon millions of Americans did not enjoy this movie OR the America it represented.
    It was a great war movie with great action, great stars and a patriotic message. It was true to a fault to show the professionalism of our special forces too. Peterson, played by Jim Hutton looking for Hamchung during the battle showed medics appearing instantly. Reinforcements plugging the gap. Hand to hand combat to hold the perimeter. Outstanding! When he finds the orphan boy mourning his dead dog Jimook he says...'He was all you had in the world, wasn't he?" Hamchung says , "Cept you"...Peterson could only sigh and say, "Yeah" as he pulls him to safety.
    The Duke on the beach with Hamchung, improper sunset and all was one for the book! Duke's facials alone put a lump in your throat. When the kid says, "Who will take care of me now:"..Duke says, "You let me worry about that Green Beret. You're what this war is all about". Of course they were put down as corny for this but as I just read in John Wayne, Man Behind the Myth, it was said "Only John Wayne could get away with a line like that and make it believable and acceptable"

Savoy Six, This is Bulldog. The Mite Force is in position.

Col. Kirby

• one of the best movies he every made he should of gotten oscar.
    he should of had alot more of them he was one of the greatest actors
    he said what he thought and did not care if they did not like it.
    he was a real american and a real hero in my book. i will not even watch most of
    the remake movies that he made the only one i did watch with others in it is
    stagecoach and that was the one with johnny cash and his pals.
    lindaj48

• Guys like David Jansen, Jim Hutton, Aldo Ray who were stars on their own made a strong supporting cast for the Duke. George Takei and Jack Soo were outstanding as well. As were the rest of Duke's standard crew a great bit players. The movie was political poison and treated that way by critics but the public went for it anyway. It's a classic war movie.

Bulldog this is Puff the Magic Dragon, where do you want it?

Put it on the camp. Those people have it. We don't.

It'll just take a minute