The Green Berets (1968)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 141 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: "The Green Berets" on the big screen

Kain,
      as this post is about the movie,
      I have moved it here to the dedicated thread

Kain424 wrote:

So what's the story with The Green Berets? I've seen him listed as director but also Ray Kellogg and Mervyn LeRoy. The action certainly seems to resemble what Wayne did when directing his own pictures, but I haven't got a straight answer about it yet.

Kain, this is mentioned in the Trivia section
      Warner Bros. were concerned about letting John Wayne direct the movie because of the fact that his previous directorial effort, The Alamo (1960), had been an expensive flop. They therefore only agreed to let him do the film if he agreed to co-direct with a more experienced director, and Wayne chose Ray Kellogg who, despite having only ever directed B-movies, the studio accepted due to his track record as a second unit director on a number of major studio releases.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Re: The Green Berets (1968)

Just noticed George Takei in this! It might not have been popular and I don't necessarily agree with all Duke's politics but it made a damn good picture and captured the American spirit well, those who like to criticize Duke often fail to realize that he had no agenda other than that of a patriot, he was already a huge star who just happened to live his country, unlike many primadonnas who exist today and are only interested in the dollar. I wonder if any actor out there today loves his country so much he would make a movie to defend it.

Just noticed George Takei in this!
      A few years ago I asked George Takei (we all know him as Mr. Sulu from the original Star Trek) during a convention in Germany about his work with the Duke and that movie. He told me, that working with John Wayne was real great, and that the Duke cared for all the actors working together with him. But George Takei also said, that he did not agree with the movie and what it stood for...
      "Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

wtrayah wrote:

One of my favorites! The scene at the end wth the little boy was tuff to watch. Another great JW war movie.

I've always enjoyed this film despite all the negativity which surrounds it.
      I do think the world has gone mad with all this 'political correctness'.
      Not sure what it's like for you guys across the pond but it's out of hand over here!

Dooley wrote:

I do think the world has gone mad with all this 'political correctness'.
      Not sure what it's like for you guys across the pond but it's out of hand over here!

Same here, Dooley. Drives me and the wife crazy! Can't go hurting anyone's feelings now, can we? lol

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

I loved it and was upset to hear all the negativity about it. Loved seeing Janssen won over and continue on. Actually, when I was a golf pro at Mission Hills CC in Palm Springs, Jack Quigley,the manager of Canyon CC used to call me at my club and ask me to come to his and give David and him a lesson. After the first time of telling him I gave lessons at MY club...I always gave in. Heh, not only did he pay about five times what I normally got, but we would play nine holes and then he would buy dinner at Paul DiAmicos or somewhere nice. I had met them both in Atlanta when I showed them around the course before a pro-am, and helped David who was having to convert his swing because of a bad basketball and pole vaulting knee. I was the Jr.City Champ and later the Woman's Champ.....always at the Atlanta CC...strange. Anyway, I knew a few Green Beret's...only one came home. So, the movie held a special place in my heart as I am quite certain that it did many others. KPKEITH

I really think the cast is wonderful, and a tad different from the regular Duke film overall. The first half is what I find most enjoyable, and I lose interest once it becomes the mission to kidnap the general.