The Green Berets (1968)

There are 160 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 234,089 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Speaking of The Green Berets. I am or was still in the process of watching episodes from The "A" Team 1st season--and on the last disk-I think the 1st episode? it showed lots of footage from The Green Berets in it when "The "A" Team" was reminiscing about their service with some friend who was killed whose funeral they wanted to attend. ANyway, you see great chopper action, that bridge being blown sky-high, as well as scenes where they are about to infiltrate a village where they find many murdered.

Anyway, it's nice to see in episodes where there is something to do with Duke or some of his movies. I also see they have a sort of "tribute" to Ronal REagan too--but you will have to watch that show to see what I mean as I aint tellin. ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• So what's the story with The Green Berets? I've seen him listed as director but also Ray Kellogg and Mervyn LeRoy. The action certainly seems to resemble what Wayne did when directing his own pictures, but I haven't got a straight answer about it yet.

>:-)

• Kain,
    as this post is about the movie,
    I have moved it here to the dedicated thread

So what's the story with The Green Berets? I've seen him listed as director but also Ray Kellogg and Mervyn LeRoy. The action certainly seems to resemble what Wayne did when directing his own pictures, but I haven't got a straight answer about it yet.

Kain, this is mentioned in the Trivia section

Warner Bros. were concerned about letting John Wayne direct the movie because of the fact that his previous directorial effort, The Alamo (1960), had been an expensive flop. They therefore only agreed to let him do the film if he agreed to co-direct with a more experienced director, and Wayne chose Ray Kellogg who, despite having only ever directed B-movies, the studio accepted due to his track record as a second unit director on a number of major studio releases.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Ah, ok. Didn't know The Alamo was considered a flop. Yeah, it's a bit on the long side (so was The Green Berets), but it's actually pretty good.

>:-)

• Just noticed George Takei in this! It might not have been popular and I don't necessarily agree with all Duke's politics but it made a damn good picture and captured the American spirit well, those who like to criticize Duke often fail to realize that he had no agenda other than that of a patriot, he was already a huge star who just happened to live his country, unlike many primadonnas who exist today and are only interested in the dollar. I wonder if any actor out there today loves his country so much he would make a movie to defend it.

Just noticed George Takei in this!

A few years ago I asked George Takei (we all know him as Mr. Sulu from the original Star Trek) during a convention in Germany about his work with the Duke and that movie. He told me, that working with John Wayne was real great, and that the Duke cared for all the actors working together with him. But George Takei also said, that he did not agree with the movie and what it stood for...

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."