The Green Berets (1968)

There are 160 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 233,031 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Many felt the US invasion of Vietnam was illegal under international law as it violated Chapter VII of the United Nations' Charter.

• It might have been better with a younger actor like Chuck Connors playing the lead role, but they probably could not have got funding without Wayne.

A major criticism of the film was the fact that most of the actors were far too old and unfit to portray Green Berets.

• They probably would have had a harder time getting the armed services to help out as much as they did, had not Duke been a major part in the film. I agree that some of the actors didn't look the part, but that is Hollywood. I never let stuff like that ruin a good film for me.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• They probably would have had a harder time getting the armed services to help out as much as they did, had not Duke been a major part in the film. I agree that some of the actors didn't look the part, but that is Hollywood. I never let stuff like that ruin a good film for me.

Mark

Surely the army was glad to see any pro-military film made about the Vietnam War? The anti-war protests were well underway by 1967.

• The US invasion of Vietnam was illegal under international law, as it violated Chapter VII of the United Nations' Charter.

• Official Post

The main problem was that John Wayne tried to make a World War II-style propaganda film about the Vietnam War.

I don't see the problem. Most war films are propaganda. Duke made his to honor the men over there, who caught nothing but grief back home. The critics hated the "propaganda" movie, but the public came out and made it a success.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I don't see the problem. Most war films are propaganda. Duke made his to honor the men over there, who caught nothing but grief back home. The critics hated the "propaganda" movie, but the public came out and made it a success.

It was easy to make patriotic films about World War II because the majority of Americans thought their country was on the right side.

In the Vietnam War that was clearly not the case.