The Wings Of Eagles (1957)

There are 135 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 189,446 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I don't understand how this movie could be thrown in with the others he made around this time. a flop at the box office? i don't get it. this is one of his great ones!

• I don't figure it either,WT, unless the public was just tired of military type movies. I LOVED it as a child and have watched it a great many times since. Believe I posted here somewhere that I used to go around the house singing, "I'm gonna move that toe, oh boy...I'm gonna move that toe!" One of Dan Dailey's best roles, I thought! Duke even forego wearing his hair piece in the latter part of the movie! Super movie in my book! KEITH

I don't understand how this movie could be thrown in with the others he made around this time. a flop at the box office? i don't get it. this is one of his great ones!

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• It is hard to follow and to stay attentive to it does have its good parts when his soon died that was a heart breaker to many movies in one ward bonds role was well we know who I am very glad it exists wish there were more

NOT THE BRANDY YOU DOPE!

• At first, I thought this could be a publicity photo for Big Jim McLain. The girl is Veda Ann Borg (the former Mrs. Andrew McLaglen), and I thought she only made two films with John Wayne (Big Jim McLain and The Alamo). However, after a little bit of research, I found that she also appeared in a brief uncredited role in The Wings of Eagles. Based on that, and Larry's knowledge of John Wayne films (otherwise he wouldn't have put this photo here), I would say that this publicity shot really is from Wings of Eagle, and the scene recreated here was likely cut, if it was even in the film. If you look at everyone's feet, including the waiter, no one is moving. They are all standing perfectly still, and posed for the photo. I still don't remember Veda in this film, so maybe all of her scenes were edited out.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Been delving into some of Duke's non Westerns lately and iv'e been pleasantly surprised.

The Wings of Eagles- Found this a really good story and Duke played it well likely drawing some experience from his own home life, it was a somewhat melancholic but inspiring tale of a man who neglected his family for the navy only to use the use of his legs and his battling back against that. Duke and Maureen were great together aswell but the makeup people who thought putting a streak of silver hair in Maureens hair would make her look old must have been crazy.

• :wink_smile:

Darn, I left a message but I do not know where he's gone!
    Beautiful photo. Another treasure found! Thanks

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

• The photo of Duke and Veda is definitely a deleted scene from this film. The production number - 1701 - is consistent with the other stills from this title. The second number is a consecutive number of stills sent to theaters and press outlets. They are numbered like baseball cards and usually went from #1 to about #100.

Behind the scene stills usually have different designations, such as "X" in the number.

We deal in lead, friend.