Rio Bravo (1959)

There are 162 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 173,640 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I was lucky enough to see Rio Bravo this summer on a big screen at the University of Chicago. It was shown using the dvd and a projector so it wasn't the greatest quality, but it was still great to see it on a big screen after years of seeing it on television.

I hope RB gets the 2-disc treatment that all those Wayne-Ford westerns got last year. It's long overdue, especially considering the barebones release in the cardboard packaging available now.

• ethanedwards,

I noticed one additonal thing that stood out to me in Rio Bravo that seemed out of whack. When Dude went into the bar after the guy who shot wheeler and he spotted the blood dripping into the drink on the bar there were a few drops of red. At the end of the scene the drink was almost pure red. I wondered if this wasn't due to additional takes or if whatever they had dripping didn't continue through the scene. Regardless it seemed to be an inconsistency I thought of when reading the section on goofs.

• I noticed the additional red in and on the outside of the glass as well. I bought this DVD this past weekend and watched it yesterday.

• Blood being thicker than the thing they called beer back in those days, it wouldn't take much blood for the beer to become colored as you can see in the images. One other point though... in image 3, you see where the guy was standing/shot by the Sheriff... he's an awful long ways from being over the top of the beer glass.

<--- Click to enlarge images

• I disagree because the bar ran further back than photo three shows. The second point I would like to make is that in photo three we can't see the gun or glass on the bar indicating that it is more or less directly under the loft.

Photo three is actually fascinating, even in the loft there are some saloon props such as the beer barrel which adds to the movie, It also interesting to see a photograph from height which adds a new dimension to this great scene.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• This is one of my all time favorites, because of Walter Brennan one of the greatest co stars in movies his chracters are excellent like stumpy or in the movie Dakota. The duke is excellent of course and Dean Martins singing second to none. It seems like the Duke had to use Ricky Nelson and the young stars of the time maybe to bring the young audience in . like Fabian in North to Alaska. I keep this one on my tivo for immediate viewing.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• I couldn't post any more than 4 photos but if you look at the bar the glass is visible in photo 3 and the bar ends before the post he is leaning against which has to be close to the ladder that took him into the loft. You see the ladder way in the corner on the first image below. The layout just doesn't work. Then when the Sheriff shoots the guy, where he lands can't work out either. The only thing that might explain the difference is you see the blood on his leg after he falls, the blood could have traveled in the loft and found a hole at the end of some floor board.

• Thanks for those additional photos. I am still not convinced about your theory because this is in my opinion a different glass as than the one the blood drips into.

The gunman actually looks a bit like Alan Ladd and remember the film in which he shoots a bad guy from a loft.

Incidentally how did you get hold of these interesting little photos from Rio Bravo?

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• I put the DVD in my computer DVD player, start the movie in either Nero Showtime or Cyberlink PowerDVD and pause it at the specific frame then use the capture portion of the software. Open the capture in a program like Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop, then manipulate it or save it under a common image format (jpg, gif, tif, bmp, etc.) and then place the images on an online hosting service. I'm a computer guru, been doing this stuff for 20+ years. All it takes if the right equipment, software and knowledge.

I bet if you took the images and put them in a computer aided design program the angle of the shot wouldn't put him above the bar. There were a lot of mistakes and errors like this in all the westerns. They did what they had to back then, today they call it computer generated.

• I purchased the 2 disc special collector edition of Rio Bravo DVD as HMV had an offer and I wanted to see Hawks documentary.

DVD is remastered the colours do look stronger and more vivid.

The Hawks documentary covers his career from Dawn Patrol to Rio Bravo and is about 1 hour in length with clips and discussion about a number of films from older footage of Hawks and directors John Carpenter and Walter Hill supplying input. Red River and Rio Bravo are the only Wayne movies shown.

Other documentaries on the set are making of Rio Bravo featurette which is 40 minutes in length featuring Angie Dickinson, John Carpenter and Walter Hill.

The John Wayne trailers mentioned seems to be just Rio Bravo.

Nice little edition

Mike

Disc 1
    Remastered feature film
    Commentary by John Carpenter and Richard Schickel (Renowned director Carpenter and film critic Schickel explore how this legendary Western was an extension of Hawks' own personality and why it's considered such an influential classic today)
    Wayne trailer gallery
    Disc 2
    "The Men Who Made the Movies: Howard Hawks" (1973 documentary)
    "Commemoration: Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo" featurette
    "Old Tucson: Where the Legends Walked" featurette

• This is an excellent article about Howard Hawks. I know it's about Rio Bravo and John Wayne but did concern more about Hawks. Excellent article! I really enjoyed it. Hope others read it as well.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote