Rio Bravo (1959)

There are 162 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 174,958 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I watched Rio Bravo a few weeks ago with my 14 year old grandson.
    He is becoming a avid John Wayne fan but the person who he enjoyed
    the most in the film was Stumpy. Walter Brennan was one on the greatest
    charactor actors.

• have just watched this film and absolutely loved it. it had everything a good western should have - loved the mexican music, dean martin singing, the shoot out at the end, and the romance. i thought stumpy was absolutely brilliant as a character (what a hero):teeth_smile: my favourite john wayne film so far

"Sorry don t get it done, Dude" (Rio Bravo)

Hooked on The Duke

• Hi

If you listen closely to the guitar music in the opening shot in the saloon, you will notice it is a case of Tiomkin being lazy. Instead of writing a new piece for the scene he went back to the mid fifties and used the theme music from Blowing Wild Marina Mine.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Came across this:-

Winter 2008 »

The “Duke” and Democracy: On John Wayne
    By Charles Taylor

Charles Taylor is a columnist for the Newark Star-Ledger and a contributor to the New York Times, Newsday, the New York Observer, the Nation, and other publications.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• It's one of my favourite Western (and John Wayne Movie!) and I love it more and more. When I was younger I always prefered El Dorado over Rio Bravo but with the time I like Rio Bravo more. Dean Martin has one of his best performances in his career and who could forget Walter Brennan as Stumpy? I enjoy all the scenes which shows the comradship between Stumpy, Dude, J.T. Chance and Colorado. Something I also appreciate is the Music Dean Martin and Ricki Nelson are singing My Rifle, My Pony and me. I'm not a fan of singing in western but this one never disturbed me. It's a wonderful light moment. Watched Rio Bravo recently and I still have the beautiful mexican trumpet score in my ears.

Thanks to Howard Hawks, Duke and all the others involved in this wonderful piece of entertainment. When I'm writing about Rio Bravo I'm thinking to put the DVD in the player and watch it again.:hyper:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• The latest "American Cowboy" magazine has a article on Rio Bravo and if it merits as the best western ever made. Nice photo of Duke on the cover and good article.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I agree that "Rio Bravo" is the best western ever made. I too used to like "El Dorado" when I was a kid but as I got older "Rio Bravo"
    became my favorite. The combo of the Duke, Dean, and brennon
    were fantastic. My fifteen old grandson likes it the best as well.
    He thinks the Duke is the best. He and I have watched the Duke's movies together since he was a little kid.

• This movie is my favorite Duke western. I never saw this movie until I received it in the mail from Time Live Video Collection of John Wayne in 1990. I was so excited when I open the box and saw Rio Bravo as my first Duke movie. This was so exciting to see Duke and this great cast taking place in the old west.

It doesn't surprise me that it is Amercia's favorite western. I can relate to Duke characters, and the no nonsense that he playes in this movie. I must say that I may be watching this movie very soon on my DVD copy. I do still have the VHS prerecorded that I received back in 1990 (almost 20 years ago). I should rid myself of these movies, but it is my first collection of John Wayne. Not easy to say good-bye.

Everyone who is a true Duke fan must see this movie, and should be one of their favorites.

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I agree with all of you. I just watched my "special" edition copy last night. I love the movie. I am trying to find it on Blu-Ray high def. I picked up the Blu-Ray version of "The Searchers" at Sam's Club for $10 a couple weeks ago. "Rio Bravo" seems to be tougher to find on Blu-Ray at a decent price.

-John Wayne

• The Searchers is a beautiful film on regular DVD. I bet it was amazing on Blue Ray. Someday, I'll have to make that jump and upgrade. Sadly, now is not the time.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• The Searchers is a beautiful film on regular DVD. I bet it was amazing on Blue Ray. Someday, I'll have to make that jump and upgrade. Sadly, now is not the time.

You are right on the money, the Blu-Ray version of "The Searchers" is great looking. I am kind of a tight ass at times so I am holding out and waiting to find Rio Bravo Blu-Ray cheap. I will find it, but it might take sometime.

-John Wayne

• Todd,

I don't have Blu-ray, but know where there is a copy of Rio Bravo. It happens to be at a video store in town (my home).

Say the word and I'll get it for you. Other wise you might want to get it from DeepDiscount.com.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Mike, I have the special edition of Rio Bravo. I am just looking for the Blu-Ray version at a price around $10-$15. Thanks anyways.

-John Wayne

• Mike, I have the special edition of Rio Bravo. I am just looking for the Blu-Ray version at a price around $10-$15. Thanks anyways.

Hey Todd,

That is a price I don't have. It's more like $20 here.

Cheers :cool:

- John Wayne quote

• The Rio Bravo Dell comic book is illustrated by the late Alex Toth, a great fan favourite. He also did Wings of Eagles. He could do a superb likeness of John Wayne but the irony was that he wasn't allowed (for copyright reasons) to do an accurate likeness of the Duke, or the other leads (Walter Brennan has a big droopy mustache in the comic)
    Possibly this is because John Wayne also had his own comic published by Toby Press and his drawn likeness was possibly licensed exclusively to them. I'd like to know more if anybody out there can help??
    There were John Wayne Annuals published every year in the UK, a great Christmas present to get!

• http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123802062186941663.html

'Rio Bravo,' Still Popular and Hip at 50

It wasn't nominated for any Academy Awards. It was scarcely taken seriously by the critics on its release, and it's never made into the American Film Institute's top 100. But Howard Hawks's "Rio Bravo," which had its premiere half a century ago this month, may be the most popular cult film ever made.
    The phrase "cult favorite" conjures up images of wobbly hand-held camera shots and little-known actors. But "Rio Bravo" was shot in glorious Technicolor and starred perhaps the most popular star in movie history. Most cult films are too hip to be popular, and most big hits are too popular to be hip. But "Rio Bravo" is that rarest of films -- both popular and hip.
    Getty Images John Wayne, Ricky Nelson and Angie Dickinson in a scene from the film "Rio Bravo."

French director Jean-Luc Godard called "Rio Bravo" "a work of extraordinary psychological insight and aesthetic perception." British film critic Robin Wood wrote, "If I were asked to choose a film that would justify the existence of Hollywood, I think it would be 'Rio Bravo.'" Quentin Tarantino, whose "Pulp Fiction" was also both popular and hip, told an audience at a 2007 Cannes screening of "Rio Bravo" that he always tested a new girlfriend "by taking her to see 'Rio Bravo' -- and she'd better like it!"
    Why has a simple western with an unremarkable plot become such an enduring favorite? The story is simplicity itself: A small-town sheriff, John T. Chance (played by John Wayne), holes up in his jail with just two highly questionable deputies, an old jail keeper named Stumpy (Walter Brennan) and an alcoholic gunfighter named Dude (Dean Martin), while waiting for the marshal to relieve him of a murderous prisoner who happens to be the brother of a powerful rancher (John Russell). That's about it -- there aren't really any side plots except for a slowly developing romance between Chance and Feathers (Angie Dickinson), a dance-hall girl at the local saloon (the role made Ms. Dickinson a star).
    This hardly seems the stuff from which legendary films are made. In fact, it seems more like a hodgepodge of elements from many westerns, which is exactly what The New Yorker's Pauline Kael liked about it. "A semi-satiric Western," she called it in "5001 Nights at the Movies," "silly, but with zest."
    Todd McCarthy, author of "Howard Hawks: The Grey Fox of Hollywood," says: "'Rio Bravo' isn't, as many people refer to it, a 'classic western' -- it's more like a Neo-classic. It came at the end of an era of great westerns at a time when both Wayne and Hawks needed a hit. They were both happy to recycle elements from earlier pictures, even their own." And they would do so again in 1967, when they remade "Rio Bravo" as "El Dorado," with Robert Mitchum as an alcoholic sheriff and Wayne as his deputy. (The confusion over who starred in which movie made for a very funny sequence in the John Travolta hit "Get Shorty.") In 1976, John Carpenter took the basic story line from both films and remade it as a crime thriller, "Assault on Precinct 13."
    "Rio Bravo" was designed as an Alamo story in which the besieged Texans win. In case viewers don't get the message, the hotel Wayne's sheriff lives in is called "The Alamo," and the outlaw boss hires a Mexican trumpeter to play "El Deguello," supposedly the song that Santa Anna had played for the Alamo's garrison. (Actually, the piece was written by the film's composer, Dimitri Tiomkin, and Wayne liked it so much that he used it in his 1960 film called "The Alamo.")
    Tiomkin's music both heightens the tension and relieves it. While the film moves at its own leisurely pace -- at 140 minutes it was longer than most '40s and '50s westerns -- the suspense is sometimes broken for a song. In one sequence, the action stops -- literally -- while Martin and teen idol Ricky Nelson croon "My Rifle, My Pony and Me," a reworking by Tiomkin of his famous theme from Hawks's great 1948 film "Red River." No action movie today would risk anything so daring.
    Well known to every "Rio Bravo" aficionado is that it was an intentional response to Fred Zinnemann's 1952 "High Noon," a film that Wayne loathed because it was written by Carl Foreman, who took the Fifth Amendment before the House Un-American Activities Committee while "High Noon" was being shot. Foreman, who was later blacklisted, admitted that he wrote scenes in his film to make sure the audience knew he was protesting HUAC. Hawks later said in an interview, "I didn't think a good sheriff was going to go running around town like a chicken with his head off asking for help. . . . We did everything the exact opposite of what annoyed me in 'High Noon.'"
    But as Bob Boze Bell, executive editor of True West magazine, notes, too much was made of the differences between "High Noon" and "Rio Bravo." Gary Cooper's sheriff confronts the four outlaws with no one but Grace Kelly to help, while Wayne takes on a couple of dozen with Brennan and Martin, the deputies he started out with, and Nelson, who's only there to get revenge after a friend of his is killed. The odds are about the same for the good guys in both films.
    Mr. Bell also notes that the two films are similar in that they perpetuate the myth that a handful of gunmen could simply take over a town without resistance. "When Jesse James and his gang rode into Northfield, Minn., in 1876 to rob the bank, just about every citizen in town reached for a gun and opened fire. That was the case more often than not in the Old West."
    Still, two generations of fans have loved "Rio Bravo" without caring at all about its political implications. "Is there a film from the fifties so free from strain, or one in which the drift of song is there all the time," the film critic David Thomson asks rhetorically in his recent book "Have You Seen ...?" Fifty years later, the melody lingers on.

Edited once, last by may2 ().