Rio Bravo (1959)

There are 162 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 175,042 times. The latest Post () was by Nathan.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• excellent article and great movie. I would disagree with ford on the best actor, i would say marion morrison was best as John Wayne.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Bud Boetticher reported that on the set of Rio Bravo, Wayne was doing a scene in a saloon with Claude Akins who said his line "So what are you gonna do now?". Wayne answered without missing a beat "Well, the first thing I'm gonna do is change the tone of my voice if all of you a--holes are going to talk like me". Apparently, the other actors were emulating Duke without knowing so.

We deal in lead, friend.

• This would have been a great film,if the role of Dickinson had been left out.
    I feel she ruined this one.Talk about overacting!!
    If it was left with the charactors of Wayne,Martin and Brennan,it would have been great.
    And if Bonds charactor hadn't been killed off.

• i agree with the angie dickinson part,and i also would have a different actor like john agar to play the ricky nelson part as i feel he was the weak link in the movie.ward bond's part should not have been killed off so early in the movie.

• Laramie, you know WHY Bond's character was killed off, right? He was trying to help Duke, and paid for it with his life...

As for Angie Dickinson, her character was central to the plot as the "love interest" to Duke, and as some necesarry "eye candy" for the movie-going public!

If you know Howark Hawks, you know a cute female will be in his movies!!

• Rick Nelson was weak in this role. Too bad they didn't use Steve McQueen as Colorado. On the other hand I wouldn't want to hear Steve sing with Dean Martin under any circumstances.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I have updated the Trivia and Goofs sections of the review.
    Ward Bond was mentioned in the previous posts
    as being killed off too soon!
    Ward was committed to his series Wagon Train,
    and therefore moved quickly from this movie, not even filming his death scene!

John Wayne and Ward Bond's 22nd and final movie together.

Ward Bond's death scene was filmed from a distance because it was actually a double.
    Bond had already left the set to be back on location for "Wagon Train" (1957).

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I get the point, but whether Ward had to leave for Wagon Train filming or not, he was GOING to be killed off at that point in the film, or soon thereafter!!

The reason Ricky Nelson was picked is well-documented, as he was a big hit with "teenie boppers," and (along with the success of Dean Martin) this was a sure way to get more of a cross section of folks that might not normally go to a John Wayne movie. He did this for several films.

This is why Duke's lineage as the highest grossing movie star of all time (Clint Eastwood being a DISTANT 2nd) will stand FOREVER. He was very estute as a businessman, and knew how to promote himself and his image to his best advantage.

And...even though I have issues with A LOT of the things Michael Wayne did in his role as head of Batjac, and also how he tended to act sometimes as a person (see some of my other posts for clarification), he was DEVOTED to all things John Wayne, and making sure no one - even family - did anything to tarnish that name. And for THAT, you HAVE to admire him...