True Grit (1969)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 206 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• John Ford did the same in "Fort Apache" by doing the Film in Monument Valley, when the Real Fort Apache is in Very High Wooded Country that goes up as High as 12,000 Ft. :fear2: in the White Mountains 200 Miles South of Monument Valley. :D

John Ford used Monument Valley because He wanted the Wide Open Look for the Horse Soldiers to go across on the long shots, and get the look that He wanted! :rolleyes:

Chilibill :cowboy:
    • I didn't care for Campbell and Darby, both of whom I found grating, but True Grit's last act is thrilling. The pace quickens, the physical action comes to life, and Hathaway's direction is engaged. I don't see it as a great Western, but the pay-off is satisfying, the locations are seasonally sparkling, and the film is historically notable for giving Wayne his only Oscar.
    • Hi all,
      I watched this movie again yesterday and enjoyed it. But the most thrilling was that one of my friends (who is member of this Board too, but not participating much) send me his memories about seeing this film in the theater:

I can still remember being nine years old and my parents taking us to the theater to see this movie. One scene I remember vividly from that first experience has been cut out of the movie. It's a little a grim, but remember when Duke is rushing the snake-bitten Mattie to the doctor? They mount Mattie's small horse and Duke drives the horse hard. In the original cut of the movie, as the horse begins to tire, Rooster takes a knife and slices a cut into the horse's flank, and then takes chewing tobacco from his mouth and rubs into the wound in an effort to spur on the poor horse more. As I saw the movie in later years, that scene was never shown, not even when released onto video tape.

It is interesting is anybody here remember this cut. I haven't this episode neither on VHS, neither on DVD.

Regards,
      Senta :rolleyes:
    • Originally posted by Senta@Oct 15 2006, 12:01 PM
      In the original cut of the movie, as the horse begins to tire, Rooster takes a knife and slices a cut into the horse's flank, and then takes chewing tobacco from his mouth and rubs into the wound in an effort to spur on the poor horse more.  As I saw the movie in later years, that scene was never shown, not even when released onto video tape. [/i]

It is interesting is anybody here remember this cut. I haven't this episode neither on VHS, neither on DVD.

Regards,
      Senta :rolleyes:
      [snapback]35953[/snapback]

Hi Vera,

I must admit, I was unaware of this piece.
      Robbie would be interested to hear of this,
      Perhaps you would be good enough
      to also post your, post here

Missing Footage and Deleted Scenes

Perhaps they thoug that scene, too much, their targeted audience,
      I don't know!"!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Duke's Movie Locations

Much of True Grit was made in
      California and Colorado

MAMMOTH LAKES- CALIFORNIA

True Grit- Mammoth Lake Location Photos

The cabin scenes for this Movie, North to Alaska,
      Nevada Smith, were also filmed here

Kates Meadow, Colorado

Katies_Meadow_Petengill.jpg

Ouray Court House, Colorado

65289.jpg
      Google- Images

Ridgeway

shadowsjb_photolt.jpgridgway.jpg
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • hi Keith,
      Very interesting information and links, thanks for that. Very attractive cafe indeed. I always thought that True Grit movie location is one of the most beautiful, but can't imagine that there is so much to see and visit right now.
      Regards,
      Vera
    • Re: True Grit (1969)

Heres a visual treat regarding the locations on True Grit, I think many will be surprised to see the rock during the final shootout still in existance.

YouTube - Please see new revised version; link is in description

Regarding the scene in which Duke takes a knife to little Blackey, I'm unsure whether this scene was ever in the film. It sounds very much like what Duke did to Darby's arm and I have not heard reports elsewhere of this scene so I doubt if it ever existed.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

We just watched True Grit again last night for probably about the 20th time, and my wife located a glaring blooper that wasn't listed here on page one. In the opening scenes, Frank Ross and Cheney are making preparations to depart out in front of the Ross house. Then when the camera pans to the front or the house, the sunlight is in the faces of everyone standing on the porch looking out. In fact you can clearly see that the sunlight is reaching through the open front door of the house about 10 - 15 inches. Then Frank Ross goes inside, spends about 2 minutes with Mattie, and then goes back outside to leave. When he is back outside, the sun is going in the opposite direction, and the porch is completely shaded, with the shadow line in front of the house going out at least 10 feet from the porch.

We just love this film. My wife has tromped all over that part of Colorado as her family regularly vacationed there when she grew up. She even found a tree, that the locals had pointed out, where Wayne had carved his name.

We would like to get back there someday.

GSP
      "...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

Ref. the scene where Rooster cuts Little Blackie's whithers to keep him running...I don't remember ever seeing that particular scene in the movie (any of the bazillion times I've seen it); however, I definitely remember it being in the book. Course, I have been known to be wrong before....:uhoh: