True Grit (1969)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 207 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: True Grit (1969)

You're not wrong,Dexter. You're correct in that the cutting of Blackie's flank was definately in the book. I remember thinking how harsh, yet smart that was to get more life out of a horse that he intended to ride till it died anyway.

For those who have never read the book, I recommend it highly. And if you read it, you may think as I do that Kim Darby did an excellent job bringing Mattie Ross to life. She played her just as you picture her in the book.

And just to read the ending of the book (not like the ending in the movie) makes you see why they changed it in the screen play. More upbeat in the movie.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

Hi Keith

This is a real nitpick for you but the picture you used in post one of this topic of Duke in a white shirt is actually from the movie 'Rooster Coburn'.

For those who criticise Darby's performance by claiming that she is annoying. I would think that this is actually paying tribute to the actress as the character of Mattie is supposed to be a little grating.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

Good point Robbie about Darby. I used to be kind of critical of Glen Campbell. He seemed insecure, wooden, even unsure of his lines. But the more I have watched the film, he was supposed to be insecure, wooden and unsure of himself. I too noticed that picture from page one is really from Rooster Cogburn. Its sad how old Duke looked in that film. He really aged between 1969 and 1975.
      "...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

Here's an interesting video from YouTube about the filming locations from True Grit

[extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnRZ8MO7myM[/extendedmedia]

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

The Special Collector's Edition of "True Grit" was just released this week. I got a copy last night & immediately checked out the Special Features section. There were a few good features, but overall...I was kinda disappointed. After watching the features, I started watching the film with the commentary by Jeb Rosebrook, Bob Boze Bell, & J. Stuart Rosebrook. I only watched it up to the Wharton trial courtroom scene, but it didn't seem like the commentators truly knew much about the movie itself. They seemed more interested in the discussing social issues in the 1960's than they did relating information & incidents regarding the movie. Several times, when they would mention some story or incident relating to the filming itself, they seemed unsure of their facts & would have to discuss it amongst themselves.....and I believe they were wrong on some of their points. Like I said, I only watched it up to the courtroom scene & I'm going to finish it later, but ya'll double check me on this & see what ya'll think.

Dexter Woodruff wrote:

The Special Collector's Edition of "True Grit" was just released this week. I got a copy last night & immediately checked out the Special Features section. There were a few good features, but overall...I was kinda disappointed. After watching the features, I started watching the film with the commentary by Jeb Rosebrook, Bob Boze Bell, & J. Stuart Rosebrook. I only watched it up to the Wharton trial courtroom scene, but it didn't seem like the commentators truly knew much about the movie itself. They seemed more interested in the discussing social issues in the 1960's than they did relating information & incidents regarding the movie. Several times, when they would mention some story or incident relating to the filming itself, they seemed unsure of their facts & would have to discuss it amongst themselves.....and I believe they were wrong on some of their points. Like I said, I only watched it up to the courtroom scene & I'm going to finish it later, but ya'll double check me on this & see what ya'll think.

This is disappointing. The commentaries portion of the DVDs is what I like, nothing worse than listening to people who know nothing about what they speak.
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com

I too bought the special collectors edition and was slightly disappointed. I haven't listened to the commentary track yet, but the other special features were perhaps sub par. I say this only because the documentaries total forty minutes or less and to re-buy a movie that I already own for that seems a little lame. What I really wish is that they had done a huge trumped up version like Rio Bravo and the Searchers.
      [SIZE=3]That'll Be The Day[/SIZE]

dukefan1 wrote:

In the book, Mattie lived to be an old spinster. She tried to keep up with Rooster's exploits through the years and when she finally heard he would be near as part of Wild West Show with Cole Younger and Frank James, she went to see him. She was told he died a few towns back, so she had him interred and brought back to her farm and burried in the plot with her family.:cry2:

I liked the movie ending better :teeth_smile:

Mark

Mark, thanks for sharing about the different books on which Duke's movies are based. It's a fascinating perspective.

I don't know if I like the book or movie ending better, except that of course in the movie Duke doesn't die, but the book ending isn't so bad, in that he apparently died of old age, and not from being shot in the back or some other horrendous end. That kind of death I could have handled, if they had chosen to end the movie that way.

Mrs. C :angel1: