True Grit (1969)

There are 250 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 304,691 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• One thing this thread has done is wet my appetite for the book, if I come across it I think I will read it as it sounds rather good.

Mention of the book in another thread did the same for me, and at dukefan1's encouragement, I got a used copy, for a very reasonable price, at Amazon. We've been busy with some home remodeling, so I'm not reading at as quickly as I would like, but it is interesting to see some lines from the movie that came word for word from the book. Honestly, just reading the first few paragraphs on Amazon had me hooked and purchasing the book.

Make the effort, Robbie, I assure you it will be worth it!

Mrs. C :angel1:

• The book is awesome, the only thing that's changed is the very end of the book. I highly suggest you read it.

Anyway... maybe is Rooster's gonna be a small role perhaps they can get Patrick to play him. Or maybe... :stunned: Harrison Ford. Seriously though I can't think of a single soul that could play Rooster.

• both patrick and harrison would be to old to fit the part if it's to be like the book. i think the part will go to a little known or un-known actor.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I agree with you, BILL. I think that no known actor would want to take the part of Rooster Cogburn on. How can anyone feel that they can do it justice after Duke? With that said, if it does get remade... I would have to see how their version translate the book to film. Curiosity would get the better of me.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• The only, and I mean ONLYpositive I can get out of this is maybe this movie will introduce John Wayne (somehow) to some of the younger audiences who had never heard of Duke. Just a thought.

Stay thirsty my friends.

• The movie will flop, unless they do a jodie foster avenging the death but that would be a copy of her last movie. I think only the younger crowd might be the target but they aren't into westerns. We'll see i could be wrong, but a remake focusing on mattie isn't up there on my list.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• In the original movie, the focus was on Rooster Cogburn, played by the Duke. Does anyone think that "True Grit" would have been a success if Mattie was the focus? Kim Darby was little known for anything (and still is). John Wayne was why people came to see "True Grit."
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

"Not hardly!!!"

• The only thing I did not like about the original one and ONLY True Grit-was that little girl.

Besides, she has not done much of anything since. Also, im not going to watch it if they do make it. Sorry to sound so abrupt but, apparently those brothers are............stupid!

One brother should be wearing a bright yellow t-shirt that says in bold black letters: "I'm With Stupid! and has an arrow pointing to the other brother wearing similar t-shirt that simply says: Stupid.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Glen Campbell said that this was one of the Biggist Thrills of His Life, being in the Film "True Grit" with John Wayne !!!
    :teeth_smile:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy:

• Glenn Campbell was annoying too. Despite these negatives, "True Grit" was still a great movie. They should just let it alone.

Hi Jay, come to think of it, I agree with you and he was irritating to see in that movie.:shades_smile:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I don't get it. If you all didn't like Kim's part and you didn't like Glen's part....then do you just like True Grit because Duke was in it? :twitchsmile:

I think Kim did an excellent job in the part of Mattie. She played the part just as it was in the novel. Glen more than pulled his weight as LeBoueff as well. You have to read the book and you will see that they both portrayed the characters they were as it was meant to be played. That's just my opinion. True Grit is a classic because of the main 3 characters.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I think you are being unfair on Kim and Glen. I accept they were both inexperienced when True Grit was being made but both put in more than acceptable performances. The play between the three characters is what makes the movie.

Just as a after thought do you know there was serious thought by Hal Wallis to Elvis Presley playing LeBoueff role.

In regard, to a possible remake whilst not fussed about it personally I think there is scope to make a decent movie in the right hands. However, I dont think the Coen Brothers are the film makers for the job.

Mike

• Kim Darby did not want the part in "True Grit" as She was with Child at that time, but gave in when Duke ask Her to do it ! She did the part just Right, as a know-It-All Young Girl Running the Business part of their Family Ranch and trying to keep Rooster in Line.
    :teeth_smile:
    Glen Campbell part was Suppose to be Annoying to the part that Duke played as Rooster, as a Texas Out-Side-er Lawman !
    :stunned:
    The Three of them Must Have Done Something Right because Duke Got His Only Oscar in Films, and Here We are Talking About It over 30 Years Later !!!
    :hyper:
    As to the Re-make of this Film, As Duke Would Always Say,
    They Will Not Get Any Of My M-O-N-N-Y !!!
    :vomit:
    Chilibill
    :cowboy: